0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 08:05 am
And .......?
0 Replies

winterwolf1965

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 08:14 am
msolga wrote:
And, as for those heavy-footed thieves .....! Rolling Eyes Jeeze, they should take classes! How embarrassing!Rolling Eyes

Thieves broke into my house and took almost everything. They entered by kicking in the front door with a 1" deadbolt. The force must have been hard, because we found pieces of the lock and the door latch 30' from the point of impact. The door had a huge muddy bootprint in the middle. For investigational purposes, the police took the whole door, solid core mahogany weighing nearly 100 lbs. Nothing was ever recovered.

Guess these guys were a little higher on the IQ scale than the guys in the balaclavas.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 08:15 am
msolga wrote:
And .......?

They are quite tasty. Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 08:20 am
winterwolf1965 wrote:
...Guess these guys were a little higher on the IQ scale than the guys in the balaclavas.

It certainly sounds like they were, winterwolf! Shocked I hope you were insured!
I see this is your 17th A2K post. Welcome! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 08:21 am
cavfancier wrote:
msolga wrote:
And .......?

They are quite tasty. Smile

ONLY "quite tasty"! I wonder what all the fuss is about, then?
0 Replies

winterwolf1965

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 08:25 am
msolga wrote:
Laughing

But what sort of cheese lasts that long, cav? Confused

The average american cheese slice has a landfill life of about 20 years before it completely disintegrates. For that matter, so does a cheap hotdog composed of pork, chicken and beef scraps. Does that answer your question?

Anyway, if the miraculous cheese sandwich was hermetically sealed, that is to say, sealed to prevent invasion of air, moisture and mold spore, it would indeed keep almost indefinitely.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 08:26 am
msolga, the fuss is that they are rare, and cannot be cultivated. They are also an acquired taste....both black and white truffles have a fungal quality to them, but the white ones, about 3 times the price of black, are the most pungent.
0 Replies

winterwolf1965

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 08:53 am
cavfancier wrote:
msolga wrote:
<gulp> I started looking at the Humane Society site, cav, but got as far as the pets for adoption section. <gulp> Those photographs of animals waiting for owners just break my heart. Poor little creatures. It's hard to believe people can be so cruel & thoughtless. Sad

They do good work, completely on donations, no government funding. I suppose that's why I was so disgusted by the story I found.

I used to volunteer at the local animal shelter. Some of them have been abused and all they really need is a little love and attention to bring out the best in them. It is heartbreaking to see beautiful, intelligent, loving animals put down just because no one wants to give them a home.

All of my pets have come from the shelter, including Angel, an English Lurcher Greyhound. She was abused and afraid of everything. Now, four years later, she is my best friend.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 08:55 am
Good for you, winterwolf! Very Happy
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 08:58 am
combining a couple of these tantalizing stories brings me to the African
"Legend of the Amazonian Truffle"

It seems that in the dead of the African winter (a difficult place to find, at best!), the hypopotamuses (or should that be Hypopotomie?), migrate in search of the giant African truffles dubbed "Amazon" (short for 'amazing' in Swahili).
These massive 'truffle hounds have not been seen at night (only because it is too dark) snuffling through the underbrush, and digging precipitously with their sharp ......er, hooves, in search of the esoteric, and rare, delight!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 08:59 am
cavfancier wrote:
msolga, the fuss is that they are rare, and cannot be cultivated. They are also an acquired taste....both black and white truffles have a fungal quality to them, but the white ones, about 3 times the price of black, are the most pungent.

Yes, I know they're rare, cav, but at that price you'd expect something deliriously, exotically, out-of-this-world FANTASTIC! ... & beyond gastronomic belief! Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 09:08 am
BoGoWo wrote:
combining a couple of these tantalizing stories brings me to the African
"Legend of the Amazonian Truffle"

It seems that in the dead of the African winter (a difficult place to find, at best!), the hypopotamuses (or should that be Hypopotomie?), migrate in search of the giant African truffles dubbed "Amazon" (short for 'amazing' in Swahili).
These massive 'truffle hounds have not been seen at night (only because it is too dark) snuffling through the underbrush, and digging precipitously with their sharp ......er, hooves, in search of the esoteric, and rare, delight!

The things you learn at A2K! Surprised Amazing! Razz
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 10:04 am
msolga wrote:
...Amazing! Razz

Hmm; i didn't realize you where fluent in Swahili! Shocked
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 11:05 pm
Just one of my many talents, Bo! Razz
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 06:26 am
Whoops!

Workers renovating the Dutch parliament drilled a hole through a wall into a 17th-century painting by Ludolf de Jongh on the other side. The work was valued at $A440,000.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 06:51 am
BoGoWo wrote:
Hmm; i didn't realize you where fluent in Swahili! Shocked

When Tarzan used to sit on his elephant and shout "Umgowa", he was actually using the Swahili word for "go".
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:35 am
DOGGY STORIES, 2004

JANUARY 3

A US firm has sold 100,000 implant testicles for neutered dogs. The "neuticles" come in polypropylene or silicone and cost between $100 and $200.

JANUARY 12

A dog is a man's best . . . dancing partner? A Dutch dog trainer offers "doggy dancing" lessons for dog lovers. Ten owners and their mutts have signed up to learn waltz, tango and boogie at Annette Helder's training school.

MARCH 18

A German dog breeder's attempt to brush his prize rottweiler's teeth ended in a hospital emergency ward when the animal savaged the man, severing arteries in his right arm.

JUNE 24

Jasper, a doberman-labrador mix who owns stocks, travels by limousine and dines on sirloin and fresh New Zealand mussels, is well-placed to win Britain's most pampered pet award.

JULY 9

A Canadian university has relented and will allow a blind Quebec student to attend an English immersion course after first turning him down because his dog understands commands only in French.

JULY 28

An Indiana man, mourning the death of his dog and the writing-off of his vintage car, has won $US1 million in a lottery two days after divorcing his wife, whom he had found in bed with a neighbour.

AUGUST 3

A police sniffer dog has died of a suspected overdose while hunting for drugs, British police said. The springer spaniel showed symptoms of amphetamine use and died soon after the search.

AUGUST 7

A German who trained his dog, Adolf, to perform a Nazi salute on command, has lost an appeal against a conviction for displaying Nazi symbols. When police approached Roland Thein, Adolf raised his right paw.

AUGUST 9

Surgeons in China have reattached a woman's lips after her pet dog bit them off when she kissed it. The woman's family spent 40 minutes getting the dog to cough up the lips.

AUGUST 12

British rock band the Darkness were asked by a fan to sign his granny's dead dog. Drummer Ed Graham said the band did as requested and initialled the stuffed dog's testicles.

AUGUST 19

A Brazilian vet is offering plastic surgery and botox injections for pampered pets. Edgard Brito, from Rio de Janeiro, offers wrinkle surgery, ear correction and facelifts for dogs.

OCTOBER 5

A dog unbolted his kennel at Battersea Dogs Home, London, nightly to release canine buddies and raid the kitchen. Mystified workers used security cameras to identify the culprit as lurcher Red.

OCTOBER 9

Firefighters in Magnolia, Arkansas, set off a blaze that scorched a house and killed a pet dog on their way to a school fire safety education session. The fire started after they downed a power line.

NOVEMBER 10

A Turkish petrol attendant who lost his mobile phone dialled the number to discover ringing sounds coming from his dog's stomach. The man was reunited with his phone the next day.

NOVEMBER 12

An award-winning sniffer dog in Colombia has been given a 24-hour bodyguard after threats "to kill her as soon as possible". A police spokesman said: "I know it sounds funny to assign her a bodyguard but she is really worth protecting."

`
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 10:22 am
Oy, the bit with the lips...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 10:00 pm
This one, osso?:

Surgeons in China have reattached a woman's lips after her pet dog bit them off when she kissed it. The woman's family spent 40 minutes getting the dog to cough up the lips.

Yeah, it left me feeling a little strange, too. Gob-smacked, in fact! :wink:
The story about the man trying to clean his rottweiler's teeth & ending up in hospital left me feeling a wee bit strange, too ..... Now, a cat would NEVER do that! Laughing
0 Replies