What is origin of legends about fairies?

Badboy

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 09:13 am
Only asking,because I don't seem to be able to find anything on Internet about this.

Cames up with a lot of`noise' which is irrelevant to my search.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,738 • Replies: 9
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 09:18 am
The fairy mythology is typically Celtic. I have a huge link here: http://www.luminarium.org/mythology/ireland/ which requires some browsing, but it has a lot of info. Perhaps you should tell us exactly what you need to know about fairy legends.
0 Replies

Badboy

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 09:26 am
I was only wondering what the origin is, because while fairies obviously don't exist,they properbly have an origin in fact.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 09:35 am
Cav is more than likely correct, badboy. The Irish are quite fey, you know. I'm not certain if a banshee qualifies as a fairy, nor the beginning of the legends, but they are, none the less, an integral part of the stories.

Just guessing, but I think perhaps that fairies began when man created them. We used to call the spores of the dandelions, fairies. We would blow on them and send the tiny things into the air and then make a fairy wish.

Here's an interesting link about the creator of Sherlock Holmes:

http://www.chriswillis.freeserve.co.uk/cottfair.htm
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 09:39 am
Quote:
[...]
While the term fairy goes back only to the Middle Ages in Europe, analogues to these beings in varying forms appear in both written and oral literature, from the Sanskrit gandharva (semidivine celestial musicians) to the nymphs of Greek mythology and Homer, the jinni of Arabic mythology, and similar folk characters of the Samoans, of the Arctic peoples, and of other indigenous Americans. The common modern depiction of fairies in children's stories represents a bowdlerization of what was once a serious and even sinister folkloric tradition. The fairies of the past were feared as dangerous and powerful beings who were sometimes friendly to humans but could also be cruel or mischievous.
[...]
Fairy lore is particularly prevalent in Ireland, Cornwall, Wales, and Scotland. Fairies are common in literature from the Middle Ages on and appear in the writings of the Italians Matteo Boiardo and Ludovico Ariosto, the English poet Edmund Spenser, the Frenchman Charles Perrault, and the Dane Hans Christian Andersen, among others.
[...]

source: "fairy." Encyclopædia Britannica. 2004. Encyclopædia Britannica Premium Service.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 07:06 pm
Fairies, or "Feighree" as is their Klingon name, originated around the death of the honorable warrior Zhak-tu. When the Federation attacked his outpost the Klingon resorted to ancient elvin magic to summon "demons of light" as the word means in Klingon, to destroy the federation ships.
0 Replies

sobriquet

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 12:23 am
cavfancier, thank you so much. as it turns out im writing a paper on prechristian celtic culture, and stumbling in here was amazing luck, that site you provided is incredibly useful. Smile
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 12:30 am
great site, cav
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 05:32 am
Thanks. Good luck with the paper sobriquet. While not exactly on your topic, you may want to check out "The Grail: From Celtic Myth to Christian Symbol" for interest. You can get the book from Amazon pretty cheap.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 05:46 am
1500 Years of Celtic History is (another) nice summary - and deals a bit with the history of Celts before their arrival in Ireland, too :wink:
0 Replies