PETA or the food chain?

Linkat

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 11:53 am
Isn't PETA that is also against eating honey, because you disturb the bees when you smoke the hives to retrieve the honey? I am an animal lover, but think PETA is insane. I am all for humane treatment and no abuse toward animals. I do not believe in killing animals except for food. I even have a hard time cooking live lobsters - I always have to say a prayer for them. But after they are cooked - YUMMY! Face it - it is normal to eat animals. When I was a kid, I used to think it hurt the grass to walk on it and always wondered if it screamed.

I do have to be prepared as I suspect next week, the PETA or other organization to be boycotting and handing out pamphlets about turkeys. Usually they suggest making tofu turkey instead. Any thoughts on a good reply to them?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 11:54 am
yeah....shove it tofu lover. Laughing
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 11:55 am
Mechanized farming kills rodents. Your tofu isn't really vegan, dudes & dudettes....
0 Replies

kflux

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 09:02 pm
Kristie wrote:
PETA is insane. These people worry about the weirdest things.

treating animals humanely is great, we all should. I love animals and the never did anything to us (except for that tiger who was smacking his lips at me through the glass at the zoo...) Where I draw the line is that we were not meant to eat animals. Ok.....sure....and lions were not meant to either. Which is why they are carnivors.... Rolling Eyes

it's good to see at least one different opinion in here , peta has pissed me off , and i do eat meat , but most of my family are vegataerians so i do understand both sides.

maybe you should talk to PETA for us meat eaters and tell them they would get more support and do more good if they used a little common sense and came back to reality a little
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 11:00 am
Food chain? That's just something we came up with to explain why animals eat other animals. The truth is that animals evolved to a certain way that some of them had to eat other animals to survive. We, on the other hand, are omnivores. We can choose, and that's what's so great.

I beg to differ with the statement that we are just another mammal. Yes, we are mammals, but we are quite different from most others because we are rational beings who understand ethics.

Should we treat animals morally? Yes. We shouldn't be cruel to them and to those who really cares perhaps we shouldn't eat the conscious ones as food. Should we prevent animals from going on their natural routine? That, I think would be too much.

I don't think that plants are conscious. That's why I think it's much better to eat plants, because they're not conscious things, and are not capable of being conscious. They don't exist subjectively.

Do I support PETA? If they're going to solve their problems by spreading propaganda and burning buildings... no. They should encourage not eating animals instead of forcing people to. We are after all, already used to hamburgers and it would be hard, but it would be right to just encourage it, instead of forcing it down someone's throat.

I do agree that people are much more than animals, but I think that we should consider animals too, at least the conscious ones or the one with a brain.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 11:26 am
so we shouldn't eat cows, who are conscious but who are so stupid that they stay laying on the ground even though another cow above them is peeing and pooping on their head? Or what about lambs? Jesus ate lamb so I guess he was doing wrong too. God made animals to eat.
0 Replies

unintelligent LD debater

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 05:25 pm
We have a superior intellect and because of that we should control our murderous actions and our carnivore instincts. While I don't feel we should stop killing animals completely because we do need some meat and sometimes we may need to control the animal numbers to some degree, due to our destruction of their predators. However, this does not mean I condone hunting. I am against all unnecessary murder. We as a civilization eat to much meat as it is, which makes it obvious that we are murdering to many animals.
0 Replies

kflux

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 05:51 pm
ah , hunting has finally come up. well i would agree with allot of what
unintelligent ld debater said , however i think hunting is a more complex issue , for example in getting your meat by hunting means fewer animals being raised in industrial farms , witch are known for inhumane treatment . Also the hunter is much more likely to have a kind of respect for his source of food that you just can't get from going to the store. but this applies only to those who hunt for food and not a trophy.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 06:10 pm
I think a majority of vegetarians believe that hunting is better than factory farming. It isn't a hard argument to make. If I had the opportunity to hunt for my food more than I do, I would surely take it.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 06:33 pm
I think it is a shame when well-meaning organizations such as PETA become so radical that they lose all credibility.

Huge industrial farms are inhumane--no question about that; but we are still going to want meat and most of us aren't wealthy enough to only buy free range meat--chicken, beef, pork. That is a shame, as free range means animals have a decent life.

When a sort of fascism enters into a philosophy, I back away. The only organizations I support financially are those such as the Nature Consevancy, which works with land owners so that they can still make a living and maintain a way of life while learning how implement parctices to keep ranching and farming from destroying the land.

How about a nice ribeye?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 07:57 pm
I never turn down a steak... Wink
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 11:00 pm
LOL

Both my sons have gone through vegetarianism, mostly due to girlfriends. At thanksgiving, I would tell them that a turkey is the most stupid animal on earth--even drowing by looking up at the sky in the rain. They never could turn down turkey and all the trimmings.

Coming from ranching families, eating beef for me is taken for granted.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 11:09 am
PETA's leadership has compared animal farmers to serial killer (and cannibal) Jeffrey Dahmer. They proclaimed in a 2003 exhibit that chickens are as valuable as Jewish Holocaust victims. They announced with a 2001 billboard that a shark attack on a little boy was "revenge" against humans who had it coming anyway. They have branded parents who feed their kids meat and milk "child abusers." In 2002 PETA organized a campaign to sabotage a popular Thanksgiving hotline, which provides free advice about cooking turkeys. The group has even contemplated (literally) dancing on the grave of Kentucky Fried Chicken's Colonel Sanders. And in 2003, PETA president Ingrid Newkirk wrote to Yasser Arafat, pleading with him to make certain no animals are harmed in Palestinian suicide-bombing attacks.
PETA has even begun to adopt the tactics of an ALF offshoot known as SHAC (Stop Huntingdon Animal Cruelty). This group is notorious for taking protests outside the boardroom and into the living room, attacking their targets at their homes.

In 2001, three masked SHAC members brutally bludgeoned a medical researcher outside his home in England. The lead attacker was arrested and sentenced to three years in prison. A few months later, SHAC attacked another research industry employee on his doorstep with a chemical spray to his eyes, leaving him temporarily blinded and writhing in pain. The following year, Newkirk was asked her opinion of SHAC in the Boston Herald. Her response? "More power to SHAC if they can get someone's attention."
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 11:15 am
Diane wrote:
LOL

Both my sons have gone through vegetarianism, mostly due to girlfriends. At thanksgiving, I would tell them that a turkey is the most stupid animal on earth--even drowing by looking up at the sky in the rain. They never could turn down turkey and all the trimmings.

Coming from ranching families, eating beef for me is taken for granted.

That sucks. Boys giving up meat for clearly misguided girls. All I can say is...Mrs. cav USED to be a vegetarian before she met me, heh heh.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 11:28 am
cjhsa wrote:
PETA's leadership has compared animal farmers to serial killer (and cannibal) Jeffrey Dahmer. They proclaimed in a 2003 exhibit that chickens are as valuable as Jewish Holocaust victims. They announced with a 2001 billboard that a shark attack on a little boy was "revenge" against humans who had it coming anyway. They have branded parents who feed their kids meat and milk "child abusers." In 2002 PETA organized a campaign to sabotage a popular Thanksgiving hotline, which provides free advice about cooking turkeys.

They've done more harm to their cause than good. Very sad, because some types of animal cruelty are avoidable and unecessary, and if PETA didn't represent their cause with such insane fervor and hypocracy, the whole cause might be taken a lot more seriously.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 11:37 am
They truly value the lives of animals over humans.
0 Replies

manly meat

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 12:05 pm
Peta is insane!
I cant believe what peta does... I was just on there website to e-mail them about how retarded they are and i saw a ad that said "make a turky thankful on thanksgiving" like, wtf you know? I for one hate major hippies like them and meat is my favorite thing in the world. Of course a good way to commit suicide is to join peta and die from lack of food...
0 Replies

kflux

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 01:10 pm
it's not just meat ya know. last year i saw a billboard saying "Milk is Rape , Meat is Murder".

can they really compare Rape to milking a cow?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 01:12 pm
That does sound exaggerated. Maybe if they just said it's like molestation...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 03:00 pm
That would be "moolestation".
0 Replies