Printer won't print black - argh.

cjhsa

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 12:17 pm
I have an older HP 880C Deskjet that suddenly decided not to print black. I put in a brand new cartridge, but still, no black. Cleaned, primed, cleaned again, no luck. At first I thought it was a problem with XP, since if I changed the settings to print directly to the printer, instead of using the spooler, I could get it to print (sort of, it came out grey, not black).

This morning I tried printing a test page using the internal test, not the computer initiated one. Still, no black. I'm figuring the printer is shot and I'm out the $25 I spent on the new cartridge.

Any ideas how to fix this? Again, I cleaned the new cartridge, and the internal connectors, but certainly did no professional cleaning.

Any recommendations for a new print/copy/scan all in one? The new HP's use the 90-series ink cartridges which have hardly any friggin ink in them. Grrrrrrrrrr.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,684 • Replies: 11
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 12:40 pm
I should point out that a Google search on "printer won't print black" reveals hundreds of thousands of people with the same problem.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 05:55 pm
Anybody?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 05:56 pm
Anybody?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 05:59 pm
Sorry cjhsa. Anything that I would have suggested, you have done already! Sad
0 Replies

Kedge

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 07:06 am
When you purchase a new printer cartridge it has a number of stickers over the key areas to prevent leekage during transport.

When you cleaned the Printer cartrider did you make sure that nothing has stuck it'self to where you removed these stickers from.

Before you replaced the cartridge was the printer printing black OK. Did it just stop printing black all of a sudden or did it start fading (ie did the last cartridge run out or did the printer break and you though the cartridge had run out)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 10:44 am
There is nothing over the print head. I'm not sure exactly what happened, it was kinda/sorta printing black then stopped completely. I did notice over in the area where the cartridges are "primed" a whole lot of ink build up, disgusting amounts actually.
0 Replies

Kedge

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 05:11 am
I guess then you're going to have to say goodbye to your HP 880C and get a new printer/scanner/copier.

I'm not too sure as to what new items are available but I'm sure someone else here can advise.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 11:23 am
Guess what? The "new" cartridge I purchased from Office Depot turned out to be empty...printer is working fine now after borrowing a half empty HP one from work.

They refunded my money, somewhat reluctantly. What could I do? They sold me a cartridge with no ink in it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 11:31 am
That's truly bizarre.
I don't expect a lot from retailers, but - empty cartridges ! Shocked
0 Replies

Snowlock

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 11:02 am
I've known several people who bought cartridges, found they didn't work, bought a replacement from another store and it worked fine.

Usually you think they're empty, but in most cases, from what I've personally seen... the ink has just dried from being stored too long or from being in an improper place.

Either way, you shouldn't have been harrased... you wanted a replacement and not a refund.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 11:04 am
Actually, since I already borrowed a half full but working one from work, I didn't get a replacement. I did wind up spending more that I was refunded on other things though. Typical.
0 Replies