Poor workmanship on car repairs

lab rat

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 07:46 am
Hi,
I bought snow tires last year from a local tire shop (part of a nationwide chain); supposedly on account of purchasing the tires from them I am entitled to free tire changeovers in winter and again in spring for the life of the tires. Last spring they charged me ~$55 to align and balance my summer tires after the changeover. This past weekend they charged $110 to do the same with the snow tires. My problem is that although I paid $110 for balancing and alignment, the car isn't properly aligned--to drive a straight line I have to have the steering wheel turned at about 15 degrees to the left. (This was not the case before they worked on my car.) I would like to go to them with a demand for either a reimbursement of the $110 or a free correction of their poor balancing job. Am I correct in assuming that I am legally entitled to such? Can you offer any advice for how to proceed?
Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 761 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 07:54 am
lab- Doesn't this chain back up their work with a guarantee? I would expect that they do, especially if they are part of a chain. As a first step, I would go to the shop, and tell them your problem.

If they give you a hard time, THEN I would take stronger measures. Unless these guys are fly-by-nights, I would expect that they would stand by their work!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 07:56 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
lab- Doesn't this chain back up their work with a guarantee?

Is it possible to get a work done without guarantee Shocked

(You get two years warranty in all EU states.)
0 Replies

lab rat

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 02:53 pm
Hi Phoenix,
Thanks for the input. I checked my receipt and the company's webpage (turns out they're just regional, not national)--I did finally find some fine print with a "satisfaction guarantee" that appears to include workmanship. Hopefully the local manager/mechanic won't make this difficult . . .
0 Replies