Help with Story Writing?

Fri 2 Jun, 2017 04:47 am
I need a little help to come up with an idea for my story. I don't want you to come up with the idea, just suggestions on how I myself can come up with one.

I've created an entire world full of characters, who rely heavily upon each other to run their town. I wanted a story to introduce as many of them as possible, and show how they need each other to survive.

My one idea was having a newcomer speak about the town and how he came to live there - but this isn't much of a 'story' as it is a long introduction. Another idea was having one of the townsfolk not be able to do their job and the whole place fall apart, but as there are so many characters and this book will be introducing them, also telling a story focusing on just one of them AND including them all AND making it interesting is too much.

I've been brainstorming for weeks but am just stumped by this. Please help if you can?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 5,005 • Replies: 12
Topic Closed
No top replies

edgarblythe

Fri 2 Jun, 2017 05:20 am
A natural disaster, such as earthquake or tornado, or a fire. Maybe an airliner crashes in the heart of the town. A demented military man puts a missile in the town square. A gang of anti government types take over the whole town and stand off the government.
0 Replies

perennialloner

Fri 2 Jun, 2017 06:14 am
@DragonflyDreams,
Maybe the newcomer could be the narrator. The story, of course, wouldn't just focus on him. In fact, the story could focus on other people. That's how Great Gatsby is. While the narrator would relate his own exploits in the first person, he could still describe interactions among other people in the third person.

Dialogue is a way to include a lot of people without having direct access to all their thoughts.
izzythepush

Fri 2 Jun, 2017 06:17 am
How about a nasty bug that puts people out of action for a few days? If people can't get to work there's a knock on effect.
0 Replies

jespah

Fri 2 Jun, 2017 07:19 am
Everyone pulls together after a fire destroys the home of the oldest person in town.
0 Replies

ekename

Fri 2 Jun, 2017 07:31 am
@DragonflyDreams,
You be the narrator, it's your town from your perspective.

DragonflyDreams

Fri 2 Jun, 2017 07:35 am
@perennialloner,
Thank you very much! I so far had the new comer doing the introduction, but I think it's going to just be a story about him meeting all of the different characters and each one teaching him a different lesson about friendship/team work etc through rhymes. Thanks for your help Smile
dalehileman

Fri 2 Jun, 2017 05:59 pm
@DragonflyDreams,
Drag, as an erstwhile writer I transmit the best of luck. I only wish a2k wasn't so beckonin' of free time
0 Replies

ekename

Sat 3 Jun, 2017 01:56 am
@DragonflyDreams,
Quote:
I think it's going to just be a story about him meeting all of the different characters and each one teaching him a different lesson about friendship/team work etc through rhymes

Success to some such excellent sport, at last a novel comprised compleatly of clerihew.

When DragonflyDreams
Said, "I know not what but that it seems
That what I'm messin'
With are a life's worth of lesson".
0 Replies

markg

Fri 16 Feb, 2018 07:00 pm
@DragonflyDreams,
I am not but it almost sounds like the first book in the Harry Potter books. Read that book and see if you see any comparisons between your book and J. K. Rowlings.
0 Replies

markg

Fri 16 Feb, 2018 07:02 pm
@ekename,
Kind of like 'Our Town'.
ekename

Fri 16 Feb, 2018 07:23 pm
@markg,
Change of plot. There is neither rhyme nor reason to Simtown, as it's imprisoned creator goes from one multi-media interactivity to the next , meeting the inmates, while desperately seeking to escape its suburban tentacles. Oh, the horror.
0 Replies

Yamini Nandakumar

Fri 4 May, 2018 01:01 am
@DragonflyDreams,
You could probably write something along the lines of having the whole town function only because of computers and suddenly a particular bolt of electricity marks an end to electricity in the town, isolating them from everybody else and how they are searching for a way of going to the nearest town to seek help but until then they are struggling to live with each other and being dependent.
0 Replies