yet vs and yet

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 09:53 am
@camlok,
camlok wrote:

And you are back to saying nothing on the language issue, the corny one you raised, the one you are completely unable to defend in any fashion.

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af324/infrablu/chasing%20its%20tail_zpsxoplkqbj.gif
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 09:56 am
@InfraBlue,
You are beginning to sound like oralloy, Infra. The difference, sometimes you seem to make sense.

"In and of itself, I think that being concise is preferable to being wordy."

"In and of itself" is a good example of the type of wordy that you do all the time, the kind of wordy that every English speaker does. Wordiness is one way we express politeness, how we make language softer.

What might be your guidelines for dropping polite wordiness?

Wordiness that we could all lose with no loss to language are these silly canards like your completely contradictory dictum on conciseness.
perennialloner

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 12:39 pm
I was trying to say that I dont think prepositions or linking words that a sentence could be left without should be considered to contribute to wordiness since different suggestions accompany the extra words.

My opinion, of course.
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 12:42 pm
@camlok,
I'd avoid "polite wordiness" in technical writing.
camlok

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 02:59 pm
@perennialloner,
Quote:
I was trying to say that I dont think prepositions or linking words that a sentence could be left without should be considered to contribute to wordiness since different suggestions accompany the extra words.

My opinion, of course.

An opinion that is totally grounded in reality.

An opinion that illustrates a capability in the English language that is better than some native speakers.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 03:04 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
I'd avoid "polite wordiness" in technical writing.

Another truism that goes without saying.

Are you even aware of what it means, Infra?

And you know what, native English speakers, even lower level EFLs would avoid doing that. Native speaking children would do the same. These things are in our grammars.
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 03:12 pm
@camlok,
camlok wrote:
And you know what, native English speakers, even lower level EFLs would avoid doing that. Native speaking children would do the same. These things are in our grammars.

Again, you're confusing spoken language with written language.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 03:25 pm
I hate redundancy because it's like you're just saying the same damn thing twice, all over again, for a second time and also, too, you're repeating yourself.
0 Replies

ekename

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2017 08:38 pm
And yet prolix is terse.
0 Replies