are we The Gods?

MrIVI

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 10:39 pm
I just wanted to submit an idea.

It's an old idea but hopefully, I'm presenting it in one of its purest forms which makes it at least to my mind original.

We are the Gods.

(Most everybody groans.)

But bear with me for a moment, imagine (just for me) we are. Well, obviously, we're really not much of a god. Last time I tried levitating something it didn't even flinch!

So, let's say we have a power but it's very minor or at least very difficult to channel. Haven't you ever felt you wished something into existence? Or heard someone say the human will is the most powerful force? I'm willing to present: that is the God power. It's a power that is constantly defeated and sometimes completely broken; but it's also the power (I believe) that made the universe, evolved it ever so slowly, painfully, as the ameba wished to be a fish; and the fish wished to flyÂ…yada, yada until the Monkey wished to work a twelve hour shift in a steel mill and eat bread over bananas.

Through out history, almost all humans have had a notion of a spiritual side to the world. May it be because they are the spiritual side to the world; and again may that be why it is so hard to find God? Because we're not looking at that "still small voice" inside ourselves?

Again, I'd like to hypothesize if on some level we are aware of our own Godhood, and if We are the Gods then logically we are the creators of the universe; thus we would have a built in desire to sustain it (which many of us do demonstrate.)

But again, returning to the idea that this power is weak, this power would constantly betray and us and hurt us; we would want to believe in something else, something bigger that would never fail. The God G-Man in the clouds, all powerful, all knowing God. Now, we have freed our consciences.

Working from that basis for religion you might see why especially Monotheistic religions would ban witchcraft and magic. It is what they have been attempting to hide from the proof of their own Godhood.

To Hope is to do Magic.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,322 • Replies: 59
No top replies

-I-1-2-No-U-

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:36 am
Are gods, by definition, not supposed to be immortal and invisible?

So how can we be gods?
0 Replies

MrIVI

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 03:03 pm
Nope
-I-1-2-No-U- wrote:
Are gods, by definition, not supposed to be immortal and invisible?

When I checked the Webster's Dictionary 1969 edition. "God" was being characterized by the property of Deity; "Deity" was the state of Godhood; and "Godhood" was the quality of being God. As far as I can find: no English definition.

An ancient Greek definition that I like is: A being capable of generating a power capable of breaking the physical laws of the universe.
0 Replies

CountDigit

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 11:18 pm
I believe we are gods too.
I believe we are gods too.
We can create things; sculpture, poems, music. We can also will things into existence; the statue of liberty, the great pyramids, and other wonders. But if you think and observe very, very hard, you would notice that like people, the universe has rules. For without these rules there would be chaos and disorder and there wouldn't be existence. If you agree with me on this, then the next question is who defined these rules? Whoever that may be, is most probably is above it and whoever is subject to these rules are definitely under the one who created it. As the elements are created to contain a limited number of electrons each, so we are given limited capabilities. But as is, we are effective with our limited powers. Effective enough to serve our creator's purpose. Now, to question our mere talents against the magnificence of the sun or compare our imagination against the vastness and depth of the ocean would truly be like a pot questioning the potter.
0 Replies

MrIVI

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 11:59 pm
Yes!!
Ah Ha!!! I finally, have someone with both an intelligence and a point of view to argue with! You should have seen the last place I posted this!

First off, I have to agree your post was very well structured; though it did take one assumption too far, I think.

You assumed that we were under the laws of physics.

Do you believe in an after life?

How do the laws of physics rule the after life?

I know what you mean, our body's are subject to the laws of physics; but our spirits are not.

Hence, I believe that our spirits are Gods dwelling in what buildings* they have so far created.

*Paul in the epistles would have called them tents.
0 Replies

CountDigit

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 01:49 am
Thank you.

We are under the laws of physics, however incomplete our concept of physics is.
Yes, I believe in an after life and I do not think the laws of physics rule the after life. If
we are to exist in an after life, which I also believe to be eternity, we should be able to withstand
deterioration and decay and the only way for that to be possible is to be detached from our physical shell and be purely non-physical. The moment we became purely non-physical, we will be no longer be subject to physical laws such as gravity, time and space, wear and tear, etc.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 05:52 am
All this "believing" stuff is a joke.

If you are talking about what you GUESS to be the TRUTH...what you GUESS to be the REALITY...what you GUESS to be WHAT ACTUALLY IS...

...you really ought to say so.

And if that is what you are doing...one might just as well flip a coin on a question like this, because there is damn near nothing in the way of evidence to point out the nature of the Ultimate REALITY.

We may be THE GOD...we may not be.

Flip a coin.
0 Replies

CountDigit

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 08:11 pm
Do you give a damn about the nature of the "Ultimate REALITY"?
0 Replies

MrIVI

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 09:48 pm
Inconsistent
CountDigit wrote:
We are under the laws of physics, however incomplete our concept of physics is.
Yes, I believe in an after life and I do not think the laws of physics rule the after life. If
we are to exist in an after life, which I also believe to be eternity, we should be able to withstand
deterioration and decay and the only way for that to be possible is to be detached from our physical shell and be purely non-physical. The moment we became purely non-physical, we will be no longer be subject to physical laws such as gravity, time and space, wear and tear, etc.

Ah, so you believe we are "Gods" as in we can break the laws of physics at the times of our death but then in returning to life; we loose our godhood just to later regain it when we're dead.
Ironically, Hollywood would probably agree with you. Notice how the ghost of a lumberjack can heal people and call up volcanoes out of the earth. While when he was alive all he could do was cut down trees.
Seems strangely inconsistent to me.
0 Replies

CountDigit

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 12:56 am
Yes, we are "gods" and could be more godlike if and only if after
death we gain eternal life. I don't agree that we "return" to life nor we "regain" it when we are dead.

Movies are products of the human mind. There is nothing you can't
make a movie of especially now these days and most of them if not all
indeed contains some irony in them one way or the other. Nevertheless
they are not enough to demean an idea or even affirm it, that is why I
do not draw conclusions from them.
0 Replies

MrIVI

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 03:17 am
What?
What property changes you from a Physics bound being to a Phsyics breaking being?
0 Replies

CountDigit

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 09:30 pm
Re: What?
MrIVI wrote:
What property changes you from a Physics bound being to a Phsyics breaking being?

I'm sorry I can't quite follow you?
0 Replies

MrIVI

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 01:41 am
Re: What?
You said you believed in an after life.

How is it that some part of us can break the physical laws and live beyond death?

Remember you said we are bound by the laws of physics.
0 Replies

CountDigit

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 02:54 am
We are under the laws of physics, however incomplete our concept of physics is. Yes, I believe in an after life and I do not think the laws of physics rule the after life. If we are to exist in an after life, which I also believe to be eternity, we should be able to withstand deterioration and decay and the only way for that to be possible is to be detached from our physical shell and be purely non-physical. The moment we became purely non-physical, we will be no longer be subject to physical laws such as gravity, time and space, wear and tear, etc.

There is a spiritual you besides that skin, muscle, skeleton, organs of yours. When you say, "my body" that "my" owns that "body".
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 04:08 am
After some remarks I made about the Ultimate REALITY...the Count asked:

Quote:
Do you give a damn about the nature of the "Ultimate REALITY"?

The answer to that, of course, is YES.

Anyone with a functioning brain gives a damn about it.

The Count then told us about some of his guesses about the Ultimate REALITY.

Quote:
Yes, I believe in an after life...

Really! Sounds to me like a blind, wild guess about the unknown. Do you base that guess on anthing substantial...or do you simply pull it out of thin air?

Quote:
...and I do not think the laws of physics rule the after life.

Really! Sounds to me like a blind, wild guess about the unknown. Do you base that guess on anything substantial...or do you simply pull it out of thin air?

Quote:
...if we are to exist in an after life, which I also believe to be eternity

Really! Sounds like another blind, wild guess about the unknown. Do you base that guess on anything substantial...or do you simply pull it out of thin air?

Quote:
.... The moment we became purely non-physical, we will be no longer be subject to physical laws such as gravity, time and space, wear and tear, etc.

Sounds like another blind, wild guess about the unknown. Do you base that guess on anything substantial...or do you simply pull it out of thin air?

Quote:
There is a spiritual you besides that skin, muscle, skeleton, organs of yours. When you say, "my body" that "my" owns that "body".

Sounds like another blind, wild guess about the unknown. Do you base that guess on anything substantial...or do you simply pull it out of thin air?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 04:20 am
Quote:

And therein lies the problem of faith, in a nutshell. It is based on nothing but wishful thinking, wild conjecture, and insights made by ancient peoples who knew a lot less about how the world works than we do now.

Frank- Are you and I the only nuts who are up at this hour? :wink:
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 04:58 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:

And therein lies the problem of faith, in a nutshell. It is based on nothing but wishful thinking, wild conjecture, and insights made by ancient peoples who knew a lot less about how the world works than we do now.

Frank- Are you and I the only nuts who are up at this hour? :wink:

I suspect not. :wink: :wink:

I'm heading to the links in a few minutes....so I guess I have a semi-excuse. (But even if I were not playing today...I always wake up at 4:30...and unless I get out of bed, I toss and turn and disturb Nancy!)
0 Replies

CountDigit

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 05:51 am
If life just came out of nowhere, after a big bang or something, with no plan or control whatsoever, just random chance of one chemical and gas mixing together to produce life. Why can't scientist today,
with their knowledge and hi-tech equipments, produce one fly? Ok let's make it easier, how about an Amoeba? Is it because they are too methodical? too orderly? Would it be better for them to roll their dice on their table of elements to reproduce what chance did millions of years ago?

Now if guess work doesn't have anything to do with the beginning of life, what does? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 06:26 am
CountDigit- Just because science can't do something now, does not mean that we will never be able to do it. I think that human beings are just reaching the adolescence of evolution.

In my lifetime, I have seen medical "miracles" that would have seemed impossible a hundred years ago. to me, as a child, polio was a scourge. To young people today, the disease is relegated to a small paragraph in some history book. Cancer was a death sentence. For many now, it can be cured, or treated as a chronic illness.

Do you think that the people in 1904 believe that one day, a person would walk on the moon? Or that you could phone anyone in the world, and be connected instantly, by a little gizmo, which fit in your pocket?

Do you think that our 1904 person could conceive of the internet? Or Dolly the sheep?

The point that I am making, is that in each generation humankind has learned more and more about the workings of the universe, and has used that knowledge to advance the boundries of science. Who knows what awaits us, in the future!
0 Replies

MrIVI

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 10:47 pm
Gods Now!
CountDigit wrote:

The "is" infers it "is" present now.

If that part of use capable of latter living without decay or death is present in us now; why can't we use its power?

It is a common misconception that we have spirits. We do not have spirits. We are spirits and have bodies.
0 Replies