The Money or Your Life ?

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 01:56 am
If you had to choose...

would you rather live a life of fulfillment doing something which you really enjoy that pays little or...

would you rather 'play the game', choose a career doing something which doesn't really inspire you or light your fire but offers the possibility of greater financial rewards, social status etc.

Interested in the thoughts of others on this.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 764 • Replies: 7
No top replies

willow tl

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 02:50 am
I think i do the first option now :-)

being poor is highly over-rated
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 10:21 am
Yeah, I'd probably go for the money too. Being poor is overrated.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 11:02 am
I don't think anyone rates poverty very high.

But I believe that nothing will make you as discontent as a job that you hate so I will choose the path that feeds my soul even if the financial rewards are not that high.

Social status means nothing to me so I can't even address that part of your question.

I like to live pretty simply. There really isn't a lot that I want.

I wasn't always like this and learning to not "want" was a long process. Learning what is essential to your life isn't easy. I've made some very hard trade offs but I'm in a much better place because of it.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 11:09 am
Thanks boomerang. Great comment.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 11:15 am
Someone once told me that he didn't try and keep up with the Jonses, but that was because he WAS the Jonses.

Never chose teaching for the money. I guess it's genetic since my entire family was in teaching one way or the other.

My mom, one room school house. (oldest sister owns it now)One PhD; one hospital teaching; Me? public school. My job was much more difficult.

No one wants to be indigent, but I really believe that we should all spend at least one day doing without.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 11:18 am
I'd rather do what I enjoy best, and make a lot of money....but seeings how that rarely ever happens, i pick #1......I'll marry a man who has money instead...lol.....just kidding!
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 11:16 am
I'll choose the first one. I'd get bored with money if I have too much. Anyways, you know in some cultures being poor is probably more respectable than having money.
0 Replies