Riddles or puzzles

Kedge

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 07:19 am
There is a riddle in the Labyrinth(with David Bowie in) where:

There are two doors, one door leads to certain doom and the other leads to the centre of the Labyrinth.

On the front of each door is a guardian, they know which door is which. You have to work out, by asking the guardians questions, which door to go through. However one of the guardians always tells the truth and the other always lies.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 04:38 pm
And I'm sure it's a regular motif to confuse the evil computer/robot with

'Everything I say is a lie'

Cue smoke and flashing lights.
0 Replies

whimsical

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 05:36 pm
Thank Kedge. I found the riddle.
Sarah meets Ralph and Alph. Wink

Whim
0 Replies

rayden

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 07:05 pm
xxx.
its not a movie but, books three and four of stephen king's dark tower series have a bunch to do with riddles near the end of book three.

case in point: awesome books.
0 Replies

whimsical

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 03:07 am
Thanks Rayden,

Whim
0 Replies

rayden

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 08:56 pm
xxx.
most of them were classic simple riddles. ie. what has a head but never weeps, has a bed but never sleeps etc. (river)

what is dressed when night falls and undressed when day breaks?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what lies in bed, and stands in bed?/first white then red/ the plumper it gets/ the better the old woman likes it?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

when is a door not a door?

there is a thing that nothing is, and yet it has a name. it's sometimes tall and sometimes short, joins our talks, joins our sport, and plays at every game.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i dont know how many of those are well known, but the third book "the waste land" ends in a cliffhanger involving riddles, and i havent started the 4th book yet but its bound to have plenty to do with riddles. it is called "the wizard and the glass". both are books of stephen kings dark tower series.
0 Replies

rayden

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 08:58 pm
xxx.
i can post the answers if you need them, but none are all too hard except the last. i'm sure some are well heard of.
0 Replies

whimsical

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 10:55 am
Rayden, although I know some of the answers, I do not know all and I want the answers that are given.

Could you give the answers and are all of these riddles you give from the third tome? if so is the the title: Dark Towers - the waste land?

Thanks for helping out.

Whim
0 Replies

rayden

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 02:49 pm
what is dressed when night falls and undressed when day breaks?

answer: a fire

what lies in bed, and stands in bed?/first white then red/ the plumper it gets/ the better the old woman likes it?

false answer: a penis
real answer: a strawberry

when is a door not a door?

answer: when its ajar

there is a thing that nothing is, and yet it has a name. it's sometimes tall and sometimes short, joins our talks, joins our sport, and plays at every game.

answer: a shadow

yes, all of these are from the third book of the dark tower series, the waste land.
0 Replies

bizarre

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 07:45 am
For those of you that have heard of it, there is a film called Nemisis Game (starring Adrian Paul - Highlander the TV series). It's about life's design, and how by solving riddles we can expand our minds and understand the design.

Some interesting riddles -

What eats to live but drinks to die?

What has rivers but no water, cities but no buildings and forests but no trees?

What does a spider weave that has no eyes but can see?

What demands an answer but never speaks?

I'll have to watch the film to see if there are any others that stand out, but that's all from memory!!
0 Replies

bizarre

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 07:58 am
Oh, the Labyrinth riddle was as follows:

There are two doors guarded each by a guardian. One guardian always tells the truth (and one always lies). Neither can answer about the other one's door, and the girl must work out which door leads to the centre of the labyrinth and which one leads to buh-buh-buh-bum certain death!!

Anyhow, this is a simple logic question. The girl asks guardian 1 if guardian 2 would say that door 2 leads to certain death. The outcomes are as follows:

YES - G1 truth means G2 lies. G2 lies so door behind is safe
YES - G1 lies means G1 truth. G2 truth means door behind is safe
NO - G1 truth means G1 lies. G1 lies so door behind is death
NO - G1 lies means G2 truth. G1 truth so door behind is death
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 09:05 pm
Riddle: During WWII, the British were using the Spitfire fighter plane as protection for their bombers. It was a great plane, but they were losing a lot of them to flak - ground fire. The plane could carry some more weight in armor. So, they called in an expert. He requested that photos be taken of the full bottoms of the Spitfires that made it back from their missions. He studied them and recommended additonal armor. Where did he recommend they put it?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 09:11 pm
Wherever there weren't holes in the returning planes? The logic being that the ones that got back could obviously fly with those holes in them.
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 09:22 am
hingehead,

You nailed it. But you'd be surprised how many people can't follow that or will challenge the answer. Try it and see.
Thanks for playing the game even though I would have liked more responces.
0 Replies