Anyone else using Mozilla Firefox?

satt fs

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:00 pm
There might be a fear of redundancy but no contradiction.

Anyhow, as a Mac user I have no inconvenience of using Safari (or Firefox).
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:15 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:

But I think what Thok was trying to say is that in general pages apepar the same, while only some do not.

Nope, I tried to say that:

Craven de Kere wrote:

So because of these rendering "quirks" webmasters often design and only make sure it looks good in IE. What then happens is that it will sometimes not look good in Firefox, which is stricter on the markup parsing.

in two sentences. :-)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 11:36 am
So far I've been able to see pages using Firefox that I wasn't able to load using IE. I haven't hit any yet that I can't see in Firefox.

It's been good.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 02:19 pm
That's cool that it works out so well for ya. Smile

(Just a minor note here, beth... many people wouldn't actually realize they're seeing pages a bit quirky or with missing/broken functionality unless they compared a non cross browser optimized page in multiple browsers.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 02:23 pm
I've been opening one IE window and one in Firefox, Monger. Makes it easy to make a quick comparison. (I did it accidentally at first, then I decided to keep watching/looking for a bit).
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 08:36 am
I'm not claiming that a large percentage of pages have compatibility problems with firefox. I don't use it often enough to compile a list of sites I've seen out there which have issues, but I can tell you that it would only take a minute for me to make a page in a way that it *would* have problems in firefox. It's equally easy to make a page that works correctly in Firefox but not in IE... it's just that almost everyone tests their pages in IE.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 10:39 pm
o.k., I finally hit a site where I could see the IE/Firefox difference. Of course, I couldn't see it until I'd refreshed the IE page about 4 times, since IE just can't deal with the dial-up accelerator (the words load, but the graphics can take a LOT of work to get).

The graphics were a bit greyed in Firefox on that one site. Nothing that mattered.

I like seeing the little notice that pop-ups are being prevented. It makes me feel a big smug. Not that I've really done anything to be smug about, but it feels good to see a pop-up foiled.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 10:41 pm
ehBeth wrote:
dial-up accelerator....

This is usually just spyware. It really just sounds like the real burden IE has is the spyware you have on your machine.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 10:44 pm
The accelerator is something I pay my ISP to provide. It's one of the latest things coming from the UW labs. It's actually quite wonderful in combo with Firefox.

My puter's nice and clean otherwise.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:24 pm
What is it, ehBeth?

I am continuing to use all three (browsers, I mean - not accelerators!) - stupid, eh?

I do like the Firefox, though. I can certainly see stuff on it (pix) that I can't see on Opera - haven't checked with IE - I have sort of settled into what I use each browser for.

Up there - thataway ^ - Thok talked about how I could import my favourites from Opera to Firefox- but I can't futz out how to do it.

Any instructions, kind geeks?

I DO like your avatar of Mona Lisa with the joint, Monger! Really takes the mystery out of the smile. I had a lovely time with some fabulous stuff the other night - haven't bothered with it for ages - but, this is a doubtless boring digression! Embarrassed
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:46 pm
dlowan wrote:
Thok talked about how I could import my favourites from Opera to Firefox- but I can't futz out how to do it.

No better way this to explain:

Thok wrote:
Well, all your bookmarks should be placed in Opera and then you start Firefox and import it.

all, means IE and Opera bookmarks.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:56 pm
dlowan wrote:

Any instructions, ..

Open "Bookmarks Manager" or something like that of a browser, and open every folder in the Bookmarks. Select all bookmarked links, then copy them. Try pasting them in a text file.. You can open a link by pasting the URL in the address window from the text file you have made.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 12:31 am
So - there is no means to import them as Firefox imported the IE ones for me - ie it prompted me to select either Opera or IE during the set-up process?

I am lost - does a text file have an url, and will it import to Firefox?
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 12:48 am
Unfortunately I do not know Opera.. my post has been one of convenient ways of using bookmarked links in other browsers, which I usually do when transferring bookmarks among my different computers.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 01:01 am
Thankee.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 01:37 am
dlowan wrote:
What is it, ehBeth?

I am continuing to use all three (browsers, I mean - not accelerators!) - stupid, eh?

Deb,

There's simply no such thing as a dial up accelerator (though there is software ranging from fraudulent to misnamed that call themselves that).
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 02:15 am
Gotta agree w/CdK re dialup accellerators; ain't no such critter; data can transfer no faster than can be accomodated by the slowest link in the chain. things like "pre-fetch" and "cache prioritizing" can kinda sorta sometimes give something of an impression of "faster browsing", but if at your end you can pull data at max of 40kbps, you're gonna pull data at a max of 40kbps; conversely, if you've got a 3Meg connection but the server feedin' you data is capable of only 256kbps max, the fastest you can pull data from that server is gonna be 256kbps.

re Firefox 1.0, I've been playin with Firefox betas since it was named for a mythical bird. Its gotten steadily better, and beats hell outta Netscape, IMO, but while there's no perfect universal browser, on a Windows machine, properly configured IE still does more things more reliably than any other browser I've found so far. But then, mebbe that's just me.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 03:31 am
No need to bark a warning, Lassie.... I mean guys - I was not looking for an accelerator - just interested in what Beth's was all about. I did get one when I first got a computer - but realised id did nothing.

I am happy with my speed - such as it is.

But thankee - and I know you are writing for everyone who reads this.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 03:34 am
Yes Timber - I find IE good on this machine - Opera was a lot faster on the old one. (Not sure if it was the version of IE, or the computer!)

I just find the tab system so much better than the pop-up windows, though.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 06:18 am
Yeah ... wish there was a browser that did everything I want the way I want it to ... Most of 'em have features I like, all of 'em have features or shortcomings I don't like.

Bummer, sonetimes, the way life works, ain't it? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies