Anyone else using Mozilla Firefox?

Thok

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 07:26 am
Monger wrote:

As for my personal take on Firefox, I consider it better than IE in most ways, but it won't be my primary browser for now. I like to see pages as they were designed to be viewed ...

A little help for that matter... User Agent Switcher.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 07:35 am
Thok wrote:
Monger wrote:

As for my personal take on Firefox, I consider it better than IE in most ways, but it won't be my primary browser for now. I like to see pages as they were designed to be viewed ...

A little help for that matter... User Agent Switcher.

For others who are interested, that program only makes Firefox tell Websites that it is in fact IE (which some Webmasters design their pages to check for before showing you e.g. the best layout or anything at all). It doesn't help where incompatibilities really exist.

I also use the following Firefox extension, which adds "Open Link Target in IE" & "View This Page in IE" to the right-click menu: IE View
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 07:51 am
Monger wrote:
It doesn't help where incompatibilities really exist.

Actually true.

IE View already recommend:
Thok wrote:

Webpage with IE - Extension _ IE View
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 08:01 am
Though I am an enthusiastic Firefox user only when on Windows, I am basically a Mac user and my default browser on a Mac is Safari. I did not know something like IE View.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 08:06 am
I'm a Mandrake Linux User, so I don't know IE. :-)

How is for you Safari?
Now it use still the KHTML engine,but maybe coming soon the Gecko engine.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 08:22 am
Mac users are diverse on browsers, though safari has No.1 "share", as many say it is more speedy. But speed is not the unique criterion for selecting a browser, and there is the diversion of preferences.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:17 am
Tabbed browsing is a nice option, but it vertically reduces the viewing area of the screen.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:22 am
Cinnesthesia wrote:
vertically reduces the viewing area of the screen.

Matter of opinion, of course. But actually not.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:25 am
No? It adds a new bar above the window. Can this tab bar be moved to a different location?
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:39 am
Cinnesthesia wrote:
Can this tab bar be moved to a different location?

Sure, actually (but maybe the extension has no more this preference) with TBE to the left,right and/or below.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 09:46 am
Thanks. I'll look at that later.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 11:40 am
I'm loving it more and more as I work/play with it.
No pop-ups, and pages load noticeably faster for me - and I can see the images that IE couldn't co-ordinate with the accelerator.
I think I'm in love with a browser. Shocked
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 02:59 pm
Lol!!!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 03:02 pm
Monger wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Oh - and I could take my favourites over from EITHER OPera - or IE - not both.

I imagine the reason they don't allow you to do both at the same time is because you may have confliting settings...e.g. your home page (Firefox imports more than just your favorites). Can you import from both browsers if you do them one at a time?

Although I have Opera, Firefox & IE on my system as well, firefox only lists IE as an option to import from...dunno what's up with that but I don't really care either...but it means I can't test importing from Opera just now.

But yeah, go ahead and click 'File -> Import' in Firefox & see if you can bring the other browser's settings over.

As for my personal take on Firefox, I consider it better than IE in most ways, but it won't be my primary browser for now. I like to see pages as they were designed to be viewed ...although once Firefox gets more market share undoubtedly there will be more Webmasters testing their pages in Firefox. I also consider IE slightly faster (testing at Maximum PC backs this up) & IE supports a greater number of advanced Web technologies (though you could argue that Firefox supports standards more accurately & completely).

Thing is, if Microsoft had only kept up development & innovation for IE after whipping Netscape's booty, well, I doubt it would be all that hard for them to match Firefox's (large number of) modest improvements. It'll be interesting to see what Microsoft does with their browser come Longhorn time.

Interesting.

I didn't know I was not seeing pages as I would on IE????
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 04:14 pm
Quote:
Tabbed browsing is a nice option, but it vertically reduces the viewing area of the screen.

But you can open new windows anytime you would like..
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 05:17 pm
Monger wrote:

Thing is, if Microsoft had only kept up development & innovation for IE after whipping Netscape's booty, well, I doubt it would be all that hard for them to match Firefox's (large number of) modest improvements. It'll be interesting to see what Microsoft does with their browser come Longhorn time.

Amen. They shelved IE and had planned to wait untill longhorn but a couple of internal human resources movements seem to be pointing at a pre-Longhorn update.

I just want png alpha transparency and tabbed browsing (without plugins) for now.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 08:44 pm
dlowan wrote:

I didn't know I was not seeing pages as I would on IE????

You see wepages as on IE.

But some websites designed it just for IE.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 08:49 pm
Thok wrote:

These statements are contradictory.

dlowan,

Firefox is a very strict browser that follows Web standards very closely.

Thing is, because other broswers have a long history of not following standards well browsers often parse markup in "quirks mode" when no doctype is declared or when transitional or old doctypes are used.

So because of these rendering "quirks" webmasters often design and only make sure it looks good in IE. What then happens is that it will sometimes not look good in Firefox, which is stricter on the markup parsing.

Standard compliance in markup is a good thing, and strictness with standards may well be the only way to force it. Thing is, forced strictness "breaks" pages that were not designed as strictly.

In addition, some JavaScript is browser specific, this is an even bigger issue than mere display quirks.

Ultimately, most sites are designed and only tested in IE, and this is not limited to small-timers.

Big guys like Google and Yahoo, whose sites undergo months of testing before release have sometimes released sites that fail to support some of the less popular browsers like Firefox.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 08:57 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Thok wrote:

These statements are contradictory.

No contradiction:

For any webpage, one sees the webpages as on IE.
There is a website whose webpage is designed for IE.

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 08:59 pm
There is a contradiction, "designed for IE" becomes pointless to the end user if there is no display difference (i.e. not seeing the pages the way you see them in IE).

But I think what Thok was trying to say is that in general pages apepar the same, while only some do not. And some really don't, there are many pages that become completely unuseable without the IE quirks parsing.
0 Replies