Ed Wood

Don1

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 02:17 am
I just watched Ed Wood, what a truly classy piece of film making that is, Johnny Depp is excellent as Ed Wood, Martin Landau is outstanding as Bela Lugosi, a really memorable film.

Normally I cant watch a film twice but this one is definitely going in my "to save cabinet"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 980 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 08:59 am
One of my favorites and since I met the real Ed Wood in my early Hollywood days it was even more enjoyable. Although he was a bit more subdued than Depp's performance it had a comedic twist that made the film unique. There was a good reason Landau got the Oscar.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 10:48 am
Loved it, Don. I've never seen Johnny Depp look or act the same way twice. That's what makes him such a great actor.

Mr. Wizard, did I see somewhere that George Clooney is again stepping out of character in a new film? One in which he gained a great deal of weight in order to be true to the character?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 10:55 am
George Clooney is putting on weight for his new film 'Syriana', mostly on his favorite guilty pleasure, Krispy Kremes.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 12:00 pm
That's it. Thanks, Mr. Wizard.

Don, if you haven't seen Johnny Depp in From Hell, try to do so. It's another look at Jack the Ripper. One of the best portrayals ever, with a real twist at the end.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 12:03 pm
loved Ed Wood
loved Ed Wood
loved Ed Wood

a just about perfect film for my peculiar and fussy sensibilities
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 12:09 pm
Ed Wood was a labour of love.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 12:30 pm
Letty wrote:
That's it. Thanks, Mr. Wizard.

Don, if you haven't seen Johnny Depp in From Hell, try to do so. It's another look at Jack the Ripper. One of the best portrayals ever, with a real twist at the end.

After seeing his performance in Ed Wood Letty I'll be looking out for all his films from now on. Very Happy
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 12:57 pm
On my top 10 list. Loved it to death and angora sweaters.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 01:01 pm
I can't say enough about Johnny Depp. He's come a long way from 21 Jump Street. Letty suggested 'From Hell', but I liked the Tim Burton flick 'Sleepy Hollow' better, with Depp as Ichabod Crane. Truly gothic.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 01:09 pm
My word, Cav. I had forgotten that Depp was in that Sleepy Hollow movie. Depp was Ichabod? I thought that he was the headless Hessian.

The only movie that I did NOT care for starring Mr. Depp was Edward Scissorhands, and I'm not certain why.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 05:57 pm
I keep forgoetting that "Sleepy Hollow" is a great movie and have to add it to my list of revisits. Although I enjoyed the fantasy aspects of "Edward Scissorhands," the sociological message was rather obvious and overstated. I did enjoy Depp as the detective in the adaptation of the illustrated novel (a eupehmism for comic book) "From Hell." There have been other movies with this twist on the identity of Jack the Ripper but from the opening scenes of the London skyline, this one had style and atmosphere. Not everyone liked it but Depp's drug addict detective was really quite believable, perhaps because he gets into a character like few actors can and completely loses his own persona. He really has no affectation like Brando's mumble. He's a natural. He got the transvestite bent perfectly in "Ed Wood," not to mention his fanatical misplaced wow quirkiness culminating in meeting Orson Welles at Musso and Franks.
And that complexion! (And he smokes, yet).
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 06:03 pm
Ed Wood was a vastly entertaining movie.

Hey, lightwizard, have you seen Shaun of the Dead?

Opinion, please, if so.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 07:07 pm
Haven't seen it yet but the reviewers I generally respect liked the movie. British satires are nearly always good.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 07:19 am
It is excellent. I highly recommend it.
0 Replies