Help! Need to Pick a new Graphic Card but ...

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 06:00 pm
Hey everyone!

I need to change the graphic card on my computer, I have done a lot of research and still can't figure out which one is the one I should get. I use my computer for Graphic Design, watch DVD, games, movies editing and a few other things. I will like to get something not to $$$$$ but that will work for what I do.

Can any bod give me a suggestion on the topic?

Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 671 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 11:58 pm
Arg, I'm not the one to ask. I shoped for one myself today and just kept choosing better and better till I couldn't afford it. So I saved the specs and will wait till I can...

Sigh
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 10:31 am
When it comes to this cards, I have no idea Embarrassed which one I should go with, everything else in a computer is a lot easier for me to pick the one that will meet my demands. I'm not sure what I have at the moment, I know is an ATI but can't remember the model right now and I'm not home, I'll check it up later tonight.
0 Replies

Kedge

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 09:30 am
Seeing as you are going to be using mostly graphic intensive programmes and applications I would suggest that you go for the best spec card as you can afford.

Try and get 256MB of RAM on the card and then with that requirement get the best card you can afford.

Personally I have a GeForce FX5600 256MB card and cost me £100 (about $184) however this was about 6 months ago and there are much better cards available now.

It's all down to what takes your fancy at the time and what you can afford.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 06:03 pm
Thank you very much Kedge and welcome to A2K!
0 Replies

netfool

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 04:58 pm
Nvidias Geforce 6600GT was released this last day or two (the AGP version, originally it was only PCI-Express).
I read a number of reviews about it, and the only difference between itself and a few of the higher end cards (like the 6800 & ATIs x800) is about 3 FPS and $200.

I'm buying mine (as well as the rest of my computer) at newegg.com for....I think it's $220.

It's a great price to performance ratio.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 05:41 pm
In the under $200 range you'd probably do best with a NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB.

If were looking for more horsepower and have more money you could start looking at the ATI X700 or X800 line. I just ordered a new PC the other day and was able to upgrade the video to the ATI X800 PRO 256MB for an additional $120 so I snapped that up!
0 Replies