Do Ants Ever Die?

Letty

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 11:15 am
Rog, fond memories of the Palmetto bug? I had no idea that your family lived in Miami. Well, you'll sorta be coming home, then. Smile

Bill, I don't think fire ants have natural enemies, but I have often wondered why the dragonfly has been called a snakedoctor. They do come in from the West Coast when the wind is blowing that way. They have a feast on lots of insects that are bothersome like the noseeums, those tiny little gnats that can create a lot of havoc with your head and other exposed parts of the body.

Oh, my gorsh, I just heard a couple of red-headed woodpeckers doin' morse code on my metal guttering... Laughing Very Happy Razz
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 02:31 pm
Hey, at least they aren't 'Crazy Ants'

http://www.wilderness.org.au/member/tws/projects/Christmas_Island/ants_ci.html
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 03:14 pm
Yikes, cav. Them ants is crazier than them Tasmanian Devils. Laughing

Lotta folks from Toronto on A2K. Glad to know there's a chef who fancies caviar amongst the lot.

great link, seriously. Thanks.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 05:31 pm
Ants in the steam iron, no kidding I thought I was rid of them all and yesterday afternoon I had to press a skirt. I kept hearing this popping and crackling sound and I thought the iron was shorting out. When I opened the water refill there must have been ten gazillion tiny eeny ants in there. I flood them out with hot water. Sheesh why are they doing this to me?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 08:59 pm
Well, THOSE ants must surely be dead, Joanne! I imagine they were thirsty, and one of them found the water. Did you know they have special "scout" ants, who tend to forage more widely and lay down a scent path for the less adventurous? Poor little things ...."and all our yesterays have led to steamy death..out, out, brief candle..."
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 06:01 am
Joanne, ants in your steam iron--ants in my coffee pot-- Laughing

Deb, Even Shakespeare had ants, and uncles, and cousins by the dozens.

I had a great Ant Molly, I'm told. She must have been a real swinger for her day. Razz
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 09:34 am
When I lived in Montreal, I had roaches in my coffee maker and my microwave Confused Not pleasant...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 09:57 am
This thread is making me hungry.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 11:17 am
In Ghana, there are many fine insect dishes, including many for ants. At the Insectarium in Montreal, they can be sampled. Coincidentally, the chef is from Ghana. Very Happy
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 11:18 am
Cav, no, not pleasant.

Slappy, perhaps Cav will share some of his caviar with you. That stuff will camouflage anything. Smile
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 11:24 am
Heh heh, I know this isn't the food forum, but with Slappy's comment, I couldn't resist....here is a recipe for 'Red Ant Chutney', from India, an item I don't suppose you will find at your local takeaway or Indian grocery. Sorry, there are no measurements Razz

"Ants are collected in leaf cups and put directly into the hot ashes of the fire for a few minutes. The ants are then removed and ground into a paste. Salt and ground chilis are added and the mixture is baked. It is said to have 'a sharp clean taste' and is often eaten with alcoholic drinks or used with curries."

From "Unmentionable Cuisine", Calvin W. Schwabe
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 11:30 am
Seriously, who looks at a f'n ant, and says, "that'll make a meal?"

I wonder what the hell is wrong with some people.

Like I should talk.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 11:59 am
I love chutney. Crying or Very sad

Slappy, the same people who eat snakes, and snails, and lobster tails; that's who eats ants in their pate.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 12:01 pm
Another possibility, you love chocolate;
sooooooo........ coat em, and DIY
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 12:14 pm
Hmmmmmm. Bo. Seems to me there is a delicacy know as chocolate covered grasshoppers. If you could see the grasshoppers that feed off bayonet bushes here in Florida. grotesque. Suddenly I am tremendously thankful that I am not allowed chocolate. Shocked
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 12:21 pm
Slappy, I would suspect anteaters do as well
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 12:25 pm
Oh, and I have eaten snakes, snails and lobster tails, but no ants. There is another delicacy in China involving a poisonous ant....they are put alive on this cone-shaped thing covered with sticky stuff and the diners pick them off off with chopsticks and eat them. There is a trick though...you have to pull them off in a certain way, and avoid the poison part. Sort of a macho thing, methinks. I always wondered what those non-English signs meant in Chinese restaurants.... Shocked
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 12:27 pm
letty, letty, letty;
it's the "ants" that aren't allowed chocolate!!
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 12:40 pm
OK
anecdote time;

many, many, many, many (that's many manys), years ago, a neighbor of mine who was married to a plumber went with him to Manilla (shows how many many) to teach plumbing to the locals, on some sort of exchange programme.
She was telling me after she returned of how the first thing she noticed was how many ants there were.......everywhere!
The worst part to her was that they were constantly getting into the food, not just in the kitchen, but into what you were eating.
She said that the people there seemed to be oblivious to them, and just accepted their ubiquitous presence as a part of the "way things are".
She then told me about her "going away" tea party with the local neighbors; she said she lifted her teacup to take a sip as always, and noticed an ant floating around in the tea. She said at this stage, her "native" reaction was to murmer you better get out of there to the ant, and continue drinking!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 01:32 pm
Bo, oh! Laughing Razz

Manilla Vinalla--sounds like the name of a rock group. Very Happy Your friend sounds as though she knew the art of adaptation.

Soooooooooooooooooo. We all agree that the best way to get rid of ants, is to eat 'em.
0 Replies