Patagonian toothfish found near Greenland

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 02:24 am
"Rare fish turns up on wrong side of the world

The captain of a Danish fishing boat caught the surprise of his life when he netted a fish that usually lives on the other side of the world.
Olaf Solsker, the skipper of the Isak L, was searching for halibut off the coast of Greenland when his nets pulled up a Patagonian toothfish, which normally resides in Antarctic waters more than 6,200 miles away. Although Captain Solsker was not able to identify it he knew it was unusual enough to take to fish experts at the University of Copenhagen.
Peter Moller, Jorgen Nielsen and Inge Fossen, from the university's zoological museum, found that the creature was a male Patagonian toothfish, almost 6ft long and never before seen further north than the coast of Uruguay.
"This indicates large, cold-temperate fishes may occasionally migrate from sub-Antarctic to sub-Arctic waters by using deep, cold water," the researchers write in the journal Nature.
Captain Solsker's catch might begin to explain the riddle of how such fish can move from one pole to another without being killed by the warm water in between."

From The Independent
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,527 • Replies: 18
No top replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 07:35 am
That's very interesting Walter :-)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 09:26 am
Cool!
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 11:25 am
Maybe he was visiting distant relatives on holiday?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 11:28 am
Weird. That's even better than the dead piranha they pulled out of the fountain in front of my office last winter.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 12:25 pm
Great stuff Walter, migration issues are very fascinating as those fish who are of deeper waters are hard to follow....
maybe leaving a trail of breadcrumbs would help Wink

Really though...nice that the fisherman brought it for study, makes you wonder how many dont in a way.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 01:16 pm
Yeah, it recently occurred to me to wonder how many times a coelecanth was brought up before a fisherman thought to show it to a scientist.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 01:38 pm
I'm surprised they have "Rare fish" in the title. A patagonian toothfish is just a Chilean Sea Bass - alternately named because it looks better on a menu. They are overfished, but not rare worldwide. Unless they just meant rare there...

Anyway, he should have cooked it up. Chilean Sea Bass is going for big bucks in the South End these days.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 01:48 pm
Seems that 'Chileab Sea Bass' is the alternative:
Patagonian toothfish
(aka Chilean sea bass)
Dissostichus eleginoides
:wink:

Over 80% of this fish sold on the world is caught illegally - which really should be thaught of, I think.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 03:37 pm
Interesting stuff here folks...a 6 ft long Chilean Sea Bass..man, that WOULD bring in some big bucks.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 03:46 pm
Hehe, quinn. You are a Forum Guide for "Wilderness, Wildlife & ECOLOGY" not ECONOMY! :wink:
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 03:51 pm
kinda works in this situation though..dont it Wink
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 04:01 pm
Will report this to Greenpeace Laughing
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 04:45 pm
Shocked

Laughing
0 Replies

ExRugger

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 07:36 am
Mmmmm Pantagonian Toothfish....
I don't know, "I'll have the Pantagonian Toothfish with Roasted Yellow Pepper Grits and Roasted Poblano Sauce" just doesn't roll off the tongue.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 08:22 am
The oceans are connected, but I thought islands and continents were separated by the ocean. Or lands get connected by the ocean (by humans)?. .. Reminds me of the Galapagos frog.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 11:01 am
satt... it certainly depends on where you are Wink

side note..excuse...

EX RUGGER!!!! HEY HI HO...how you doin guy, nice to see ya! BTW..yeah, Chilean Sea Bass certainly is more marketable.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 11:22 am
Hey Ex! Saw your post on 'the other' site -

Good lord - talk about back from the dead!

I still pop in once time at the other place but spend most of my time here.

And I know you're still low on funds, but the boy is still slinging Guinness at the pub on Sundays.

Grabbing your email for gathering updates. We normally hang out down on the So' Shorah for school night beverages, but I'll prolly be in Som'ville this coming Sunday if your thirsty.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 06:14 pm
quinn1 wrote:
it certainly depends on where you are Wink

I resemble a frog only when I swim in water on the land.
0 Replies