Doubtful future for Europe's birds

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 04:23 pm
Quote:
Half of European bird species in danger

08 November 04

NewScientist.com news service

http://www.newscientist.com/data/images/ns/9999/99996634F1.JPG
After decades of stability, numbers of common starling declined by 10% between 1990 and 2000. (Image: Chris Gomersall/RSPB)

Almost half of Europe?s 524 native species of bird face an uncertain future, according to a new report, with even the common starling becoming less common.

The survey was carried out by BirdLife International, an alliance of conservation groups, using bird population data from 52 European countries. They found that 45 species were in a worse situation than 10 years ago, when their first Birds in Europe report was published.

?The continued decline of many species sends a clear signal about the health of Europe?s wildlife and the poor state of our environment,? said Mike Rands, BirdLife International?s director.

The northern gannet has bucked the trend with increases in its breeding population?s size and range. (Image: Andy Hay/RSPB)

Among the new additions to the list of threatened species is the common starling, whose population has shrunk by more than 10% in the past decade. Another is the northern lapwing, a wading bird found across most of western Europe ? more than 30% have vanished since the 1994 study.

Intensive agriculture

?This is the first time species such as the house sparrow, snipe, starling, lapwing and corn bunting have been listed as birds of European concern,? says Mark Avery, director of the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds.

Avery blames the spread of intensive agriculture for the decline. Farming practices that lead to loss of habitats such as hedgerows and the use of more aggressive chemicals have already decimated the wild bird population of Britain. ?The great danger is that we will now export intensive agriculture to eastern Europe, destroying their wildlife too,? Avery says.

Researchers have also warned that climate change is putting pressure on the Earth?s fauna and flora. A study published in January suggested that as many as 37% of plants and animals could be heading towards extinction by 2050 because of shifts in the climate.

http://www.newscientist.com/data/images/ns/9999/99996634F2.JPG
The northern gannet has bucked the trend with increases in its breeding population?s size and range. (Image: Andy Hay/RSPB)

Risk of extinction

The new report, which was unveiled on Monday at a conference marking the 25th anniversary of the European Union?s Bird Directive, classifies 7.9 per cent of European bird species as ?birds of global conservation concern?. These are species on the World Conservation Union?s Red List and are deemed at risk of global extinction within a few decades.

A further 35.5 per cent have an ?unfavourable European conservation status?, meaning their population size within Europe is falling.

However, the report also contains some good news. There are 14 species of bird that are thriving, in part because of protection measures introduced under the EU directive.

Numbers of northern gannet, for example, have soared. There are now more than 300,000 breeding pairs of these cliff-nesting sea birds. Also, the peregrine has shaken off its rare status and numbers of white-tailed eagle are up more than 50%.

Jenny Hogan
Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 785 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 04:28 pm
Some links:

Birds in Europe - online data

Birds in Europe - case studies

Birds in Europe press release
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 04:42 pm
Since Europe has largely abandoned hunting and trapping I'd be curious as to what the predator and egg eater population is doing.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 04:58 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Since Europe has largely abandoned hunting and trapping ....

I agree that trapping is abandonned here because of international and national animal protection laws.

But could you name just one (1) Euroepan country, where hunting is abandoned?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 05:00 pm
Besides, your comment doesn't indicate at all that read more than the headline(s) of the above links.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 05:07 pm
I'll read more when I get a chance. Lack of trapping will definitely increase egg poacher populations. Mink, and other weasels can decimate bird populations. So can feral cats.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 05:24 pm
sparrows have a number of varieties and species. if the pressures that are stressing their populations continue, we will see them either evolve into a resistant species , or they will go extinct.
Extinction is an environmental consequence of something out of equilibrium. Has the world population of sparrows shown a similar trend?
In the US we are losing the deep forest tropical nesters like orioles, tanagers etc. our hummingbirds are actually dividing into a srries of new varieties thaht, if the speciation continues, will generate new species entirely. Were also losing the loon.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 06:20 pm
I watched an interesting program on this very subject not long ago. The blame was put squarely on pest control in farming. The newest seeds, Monsanto type products, have reduced the natural diet of most birds. A british study showed the number of bugs, butterflies, bees and flies hovering around fields had been reduced significantly. No bugs - no birds, I guess.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 06:47 pm
a number of Roundup type chemicals interfere with the life cycles of bugs that go through a caterpillar or worm stage. Many birds are left foodless. However, I woder if, like the sparrows, most birds can be omnivorous? Seeds and bugs they will eat. I like the theory that WAlter first mentioned about the cropping patterns , the loss of habitat in missing hedgerows seems to affect bird numbers. Like, we know that orioles are decimated because of clearcutting and burning in Guatemala and Costa Rica , thheir winter camps. Then they come up here and we have cleared the woods for houses and maybe only 2/3 of them actually breed, so theres a gradual less and less little birds.

Sparrows and grackles used to be pests that flew and cleaned fields of seed in flocks of millions, now we hear that these numbers are dropping off, but not as a sudden drop so its not an onset of an environmental or toxic situation.I dont know , Im mjust guessing that its related to creeping urbanization and intensive agriculture.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 12:42 am
I agre with farmerman especially re sparrows/urbanisatin + intensive agrgriculture.

My personal experiences are neither scientific nor to be seen generally, but when I was a child, we had sparrows all over the place (passer domesticus and passer montanus).
From the 60's onwards, you rarely find the montanus-type.
And here, where I live, I only know of three places with some dozen sparrows: one, exactly where I live, and the other close to mills.
0 Replies