Computer repair stores, how long to fix my issue?

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 06:00 pm
I dropped my laptop off at a local computer repair shop (Enterprise).
I had a virus that wouldn't let me login into Windows. The technician left me a voicemail last night saying "he will probably be able to restore the system to an earlier date and it was technically in the diagnostic stage" There closed until Monday and I didn't get a chance to ask him how long this would take.

Does anyone have an idea? Keep in mind, it's a small store and there was only one person working when I dropped my pc off.

I wouldn't think it would take longer than a few hours but I could definitely be wrong.
Thanks!!!

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,523 • Replies: 9
No top replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 06:11 pm
@kellabella83 ,
I sympathize with people in local repair shops, especially by one person. I've been helped with our company PC's (the helpers a slightly larger company), and with my imacs, back then, just a guy with a studio. I see by the phone book he is still in business, glad.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 06:12 pm
@kellabella83 ,
Does he get to eat lunch?
0 Replies

seac

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 06:48 pm
@kellabella83 ,
The job normally should take about 2 hours. I had to do this to a couple of my computers. Youtube has videos on how to do this. There is a problem if you don't have a restore point previous to the virus. I had to reset the computers to factory new settings, wiping out all my loaded apps and files.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 07:10 pm
@kellabella83 ,
Please understand that this is a very difficult estimate to make without knowing anything about your computer. But yes, a few hours of work for this sort of thing seems reasonable.

Remember that they probably have other computers in the shop to work on.
kellabella83

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 07:23 pm
@seac,
Believe me, the last thing I wanted to do was bring my pc somewhere to get fixed. I tried everything but I wasn't able to get to the advanced/troubleshoot menu. This virus locked me out. I 99% sure there was a restore point created prior to the virus.
Thanks for replying!!
0 Replies

kellabella83

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 07:29 pm
@maxdancona,
I figured it would be difficult to estimate but I wanted others opinions. I have a Toshiba Satellite L75 laptop with Windows 10. Your right about the store having other computers to work on. I can be impatient sometimes lol.
Thanks for replying!!
tibbleinparadise

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 07:35 pm
@kellabella83 ,
Usually computer restoration/recovery type issues take a few hours at best. The last time my desktop pooped out and I had to reinstall Win10 it took approximately an hour start to finish, including driver updates. Since he's also attempting to save your existing data, a few hours should do it.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 7 May, 2017 05:55 am
MINIMUM - Allow 3 days for your computer to be completely looked over.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 7 May, 2017 07:11 am
It comes down to what is wrong with it, how old it is and what features are installed on it.

Many times you have to run different scans over the entire hard drive and if the laptop is slow, a single scan can go 6 hours. If System Restore is turned off, he will not be able to go back to an earlier time.
0 Replies