Pancakes or Waffles or Crepes? Let's Food Fight It Out!

ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 08:07 am
@farmerman,
Beaver Tails are similar to elephant ears - fried stretched dough. Beaver Tails use cracked wheat flour - that's what gives them their special taste and texture.

http://www.travelandescape.ca/2014/04/everything-ever-wanted-know-beavertails/

If you ask the Beaver Tail people, they tell you it's whole wheat. ha! a friend's son spent 2 years trying to replicate the recipe. Once they figured out there hadto be cracked wheat in the batter, he killed the recipe.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 08:11 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
The extra butter makes the waffle crispy on the outside and soft in the middle.

it's the extra liquid that makes the crispy outside/soft inside. it doesn't have to be butter (though butter is best for classic waffles). If people are using box mixes, the difference between waffles and pancakes is the amount of water added to the batter. The liquefied bananas I use for my party waffles have the same effect. I've done it with other fruit juices/purees as well.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 08:12 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Pour batter in a crepe pan (Crepe pans are great for searing steaks and browning scallops so they areNOT one purpose pans)

I've used the inverted crepe pans - they are very much single use (unless you can cook something that won't slide off that curve Smile )
ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 08:14 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
You might be surprised how many persons have offered me pancakes with cornmeal mixed with the flour. Mostly, I turn them down.

that's about as disgusting as people thinking potato pancakes are potato chunks dropped into pancake batter

blecccchhhh
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 08:28 am
@izzythepush,
It was interesting reading up on these. 'It's one of the food items where the "new world" uses a word in the traditional way, while the source country has a different usage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flapjack_(oat_bar)
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 4 May, 2017 05:02 am
I don't think of crepes as a breakfast food. And I've never had a waffle. (True) I like pancakes with a side of bacon, melted butter, and maple syrup. I like French toast with melted butter and sugar on top.

Someone mentioned potato pancakes. For breakfast!? Not in this house. I make pretty good potato pancakes, but I don't have chicken fat, which makes them great.

I will occasionally have matzo bry, with cinnamon and sugar.

I guess that breakfast-wise I have simple taste. In my family breakfast was a hot cereal (not instant). Didn't taste a pancake until I was at work and on a business trip.

I just remembered a breakfast I really used to enjoy: scrambled eggs with onions and lox (not nova).

Uh oh. I'm getting hungry.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 4 May, 2017 05:15 am
@ehBeth,
we never bought one of those "upside downy" crepe pans . The one we hqve i like a normal rying pan but with a lip thats just about 1/4 inch. Its got many uses besides creperie
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 04:56 pm
Pancakes are too heavy and crepes are too light. Make mine a waffle.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 04:59 pm
@Sturgis,
Potato pancakes are my birthday dinner.

I love them...with canned peaches.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 06:30 pm
Back in L.A., there was a flurry of interest in crepes, including for a place called The Magic Pan. I liked them.
MethSaferThanTHC

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 07:35 pm
Just don't serve it warm or hot.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 7 May, 2017 06:18 pm
@ossobucotemp,
"Cheese eaters" love crepes. Smile
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 7 May, 2017 06:30 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I still don't get the words "cheese eaters", and yes, I've looked it up.
Maybe there are different takes. I should look it up again..

Me, I did like those crepes. I use my crepe pan for omelets.. or scrambled egg burritos.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 7 May, 2017 06:37 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I think "cheese eaters" is layman's version of "chocolate makers" a derogatory comment about European liberals; made inclusive of those in America.

It's definitely an insult.

I've never used it, but that doesn't mean I refrain from insulting liberals. I just hate sloganeering of any kind.

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 7 May, 2017 06:43 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Gotcha, and thank you, Finn.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 7 May, 2017 06:56 pm
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 8 May, 2017 12:03 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Pancakes are too heavy and crepes are too light. Make mine a waffle.
Try some galettes instead of the crêpes.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Sun 21 May, 2017 09:43 am
I never eat all three because of the high sugar content. I have not had syrup in my cupboard for over 20 years.

My dad did not eat sugar and I don't either.

On a very rare occasion I will get a sweet tooth but that is about once a year.

Like I only drink a soda about once a year and when I do it is usually a can of decaffeinated root beer.

So I guess I prefer salty over sweet so I would rather have a tortilla or something made from corn minus the sugar or syrup. Smile
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Sun 21 May, 2017 09:47 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Wisconsin has a lot of cheese eaters and cheese makers too, so does Vermont and France. Smile
0 Replies

newmoonnewmoon

Reply Sun 21 May, 2017 11:02 am
@tsarstepan,
Can be creative..

Strawberry waffles strawberry syrup cool whip strawberry on top this sounds good right now.