Whigs and Stewarts

Nadi

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 08:30 pm
who is a whig and who is a stewart? whats the difference between the two ?? and why these terms are used to describe a president?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,260 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Nadi

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 09:13 pm
could anybody help plz Sad
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 08:16 am
Whig is a very old party that no longer exists. Millard Fillmore was the last Whig President (he served in the mid-1800s, before Lincoln).

As for stewart, I have no idea what you mean. Could you mean steward? If so, that's just a term (not really attached to politics) that more or less means caretaker or manager. If you mean stewart, you might be referring to an old house of the British monarchy. Mary, Queen of Scots was a Stewart Queen.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 11:04 am
Whigs were the parliamentary party in post restoration England (after 1662). By Stewarts I suspect you mean Stuarts, The royal linage of the Kings (and Queens) of England in the 17th century. In this case what you are actually asking for is the distinction between Whigs and Tories Or a parliamentary party (presumptively liberal) and a royal or monarchical party (presumptively conservative). Who we really need here is Sentana who can explain this in detail.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 11:07 am
Or a visit to Google to do a little independent research. Asking one of us to explain it is taking a bit of a chance, no disrespect meant to Setanta (or anyone else)...

Know thy source!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 11:53 am
Well, I'm neither so educated as Sentanta is (and additionally, I've to translate the most from German to English), nor do I really understand the question.

For England, Whigs and Tories could be one possibilty.
Whigs and Stewards another.

No idea, what the question could mean re the USA (besides the already mentioned political party active in the period 1834-54).
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 02:25 pm
our local newspaper is called 'The Kingston Whig-Standard' ... their slogan : 'serving the kingston community since 1834'. in this case the term 'whig' refers to the old-style conservatives in canada. hbg
0 Replies