A Letter I Wrote to my Atheist Brother Grant

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2017 07:39 am
My letter to my atheist brother Grant

Dear Grant, I see you have found reason for living in this our physical mortal life, while we are on this earth, as your bike trip indicates to me. But how can you be so sure there is nothing beyond this life? That there might be a "loving God". Life after death remains unfortunately something neither I, nor anyone else, can ever prove to you for sure.

I, however, strongly believe we continue to exist on in some form or other in dimensions of mind boggling unimaginable purpose, beauty and glory, and that our consciousness self continues to exist eternally after death. Otherwise our earthly mortal lives, no matter what we do, are a vain brief fleeting moment in eternity that it is entirely without meaning purpose or reason.

Have you ever thought that to be an absolute atheist is much more difficult be than to be one who believes in a creator, as true atheists have to explain and rationalise away to themselves and others, that everything that exists just popped out of nowhere, from nothingness, into a vacuum of dark nothingness, became light time and energy morphing finally, without reason or purpose, into the something that we have all around us.

All existence including mysterious life and intelligence thus evolving mindlessly, by nothing more than random chance. Therefore, to believe that nothing simple created nothing, in the distant past is to me the most ridiculous of premises.

What is life and how did the awesome colossal almost infinitely complex D.N.A molecule blue print of life "(evolve)" so blindingly quickly, in the very short time it did, in relative infinite cosmological time scale of eternity, if there were no intelligent designer behind it?

If for instance we took a hypothetical analogy of millions of Boeing 747 airplanes, full of bricks, mortar and water, and dropped all this, at random upon the earth for ten thousand billion years, would the result ever be the one of the glorious building constructions we see all around us, such as the wonderful beautiful Taj Mahal or the Sydney Opera house that was created, designed and built by mere mortal humanity?

Do these constructions of man change or evolve by themselves over time? No they decay and go back to chaos. Does life that needs to change or adapt just say to itself and mindlessly command its own D.N.A. molecule, to reconfigure to suit the new environment and thus form new type life form, to meet new conditions?.

Or does something else such as a higher intelligent power that sees the need and brings about the change? The latter case is to me very more likely to any thinking person.

But atheists make the case and would have one believe that all that exists, including our mighty vast and infinitely complex and unimaginable beautiful universe and wonderful blue water world of life earth, came into existence out of nothing, in just such a random act of mindless chance. This belief leads one to a vain purposeless life without moral absolutes we see in the evil wicked world all around us today.

Our breathtakingly beautiful universe is expanding constantly and must, therefore, have had definite beginning, in the far distant past. If you read in your dictionary that an agnostic believes no one can prove there is a god, just like no one can prove the opposite that there is no god.

To me this makes more sense than been an outright atheist who bluntly states as a definite fact that there is definitely and absolutely as fact no god or intelligent creator. The breathtaking wonder and beauty we see all around us does not to me equate with an evil uncaring god but a creator of infinite love and patience.

My conclusion as an amateur astronomer leaves me with the unshakable belief that an Awesome Intelligence is behind the creation of the universe and this same mighty intelligence keeps the universe going. "God exists

Look at the glorious beauty of the universe, that on a micro scale, is reflected in that great and beautiful island of Australia, the long desolate silent plains, the mountains of breathtaking beauty, the faithful sun than rises and sets every morning and night in glorious red to warm your skin and give light, life to your body and sight to your eyes.

The green grass and trees all around you as you cycle through this wonder land of light and silence, with the soft sound of birds singing in harmony with other soft animals noises.

The feel of wind upon your skin and the joy as you rest hungry and partake of the precious nourishment supplied by mother earth. The night sky ablaze with infinite stars and glorious never-ending galaxies, the heavens declare the glory of God.

Then tell me there is not an equally beautiful creative mind behind all of this peace glory and unimaginable beauty, beyond anything you have felt up to now as you progress towards your destination on your bicycle. Only humanity is full of greed, selfishness and evil, something that does not exist anywhere in nature. Again this creation of beauty and glorious wonder equates to an equally beautiful infinite eternal creative mind.
Our breathtakingly beautiful astounding universe is held together and governed by precise exact infinitely accurate fundamentals laws or constants, such as, velocity of light, electromagnetic interaction constant, gravitational constant, to name only a few. (Laws that according to the atheists that have come about illogically without a Law Giver)

If these fundamental constants differed, even by by the smallest fraction, the universe, humanity and all life would simple not exist?

The universe is also expanding constantly and must have had a beginning point in the far distant past. Something with a beginning has need of a Creator I call this something God.

Why do I put so much emphasis on a beginning? It is due to the fact that without a beginning the concept of time would be non existent as there could never be a start point in time to and we could never have reached the point of time we have in an infinite eternal universe.

Will the universe ever end? Science says yes it is going to end due to the fact that the universe is finite and subject to Newton’s second law of thermodynamics and relentless progress of entropy. According to them the universe will inevitably die a cold dark heat death. Is this fact? I don’t know so I just say to all that ask me this question, just wait and see.

What have scientist discovered about our beautiful universe? That it is precise ordered and accords with basic mathematical constants are fact.

Exact precise laws require an intelligent exact Law Giver don’t you think? It was created by the master mathematician. I say that the universal laws were set by a divine creator, who created all existence and who mankind refers to as the lord god almighty.

Blessed be the ever existing eternal infinite one forever, to which I owe everything. I have nothing but the utmost profound deepest love, reverential fear and wonder, because He holds my eternal fate in His beloved mighty eternal infinite hands.

Mortal life is such a brief flashing moment in the grand order of things, cosmic time and so very short that it cannot be measured relative the immense vastness of the almost infinite eternity of the universe.

One flashing moment in eternity and mere mortal life is gone forever. There must be more to our existence or all is vain and without purpose. Someone rose from this infinite death to give us eternal hope, who was he?

I look not for a city that passes away, made by mere mortal man, but a mighty city, a City of God, eternal, whose maker and creator is God that endures for eternity in golden translucent glory of blinding light forever

Regards

Alan McDougall 3/4/2007

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2017 07:42 am
Can't stand to let somebody be happy?
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2017 07:44 am
@Alan McDougall,
Quote:
You have to assume God exist in order to argue against Him

...or maybe not. It would suffice to simply say that your arguments have been found unconvincing. I'm not arguing against "Him" — I'm arguing with the particular statements people make to legitimize their belief.
jcboy

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2017 07:48 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:

My letter to my atheist brother Grant

Did you receive it back stamped "Return to Sender?" Razz
centrox

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2017 09:32 am
Response moderated: Personal attack. See more info.

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2017 11:29 am
https://scontent.fhou1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18056680_857178881086936_2560779657237889080_n.jpg?oh=ce9585417ac6256ecf0014401c0ea94d&oe=5986A8E7
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2017 05:52 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Wow again Al, your approach is very nearly parallel to mine; which only shows what a competent thinker and fine writer we have

You not me
dalehileman

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2017 05:57 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
You have to assume God exist in order to argue against Him.......or maybe not....your arguments have been found unconvincing

I disagree on both counts, Hi. My own view as a pantheist is that it's perfectly OK to deny Her existence; the proposition that nothing is entirely anything while everything is partly something else clearly demonstrates that the dualistic conception of Her (He/She/It ) existing independently of the erthling is a product of our homeopathic language

Doug is very convincing, but only to us who have abandoned the dualistic in favor of a more generalized way of thought
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2017 06:01 pm
@centrox,

I tell everyone, don't read my postings but if you reply you must be more explicit
Quote:
Personal attack
By whom
Ed, Hi, Jc, Dale, or Cen

Mac don't let the TAT's get ya down
No, Cen, we know mosta time you're kiddin'
jcboy

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2017 01:54 pm
@dalehileman,
Razz

0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2017 01:58 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Quote:
Personal attack
By whom

By me. I cast doubt on his sanity in a disrespectful way. What you see above under my name what the moderators replaced my post with.
ekename

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2017 09:13 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Quote:
Dear Grant, I see you have found reason for living in this our physical mortal life, while we are on this earth, as your bike trip indicates to me.

I was wondering whether Grant might like some more of the same given that it has been more than 10 years since your missive was composed.

I'd add some music for Grant and some amended lyrics:

Like a true nature's child
We were born, born to be mild
We can climb so high
An' never hafta die

I don't care how much money I got to spend
I wanna find my way, way back home again
Oh the lonely days are gone
I'm coming home
Yeah my brother , he wrote me a letter

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 09:39 am
@centrox,
Quote:
what the moderators replaced my post with

Cen I'm astoud\nded. When we starttred 18 years back (12?) a2k was probly the ost lib chat room on the Web

Incidentally I still wish your prof was in Engl. If you feel up to translatin' it I'm still [email protected]

...and apparently don't care who else knows it
centrox

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 09:57 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Incidentally I still wish your prof was in Engl.

It's in Lorem Ipsum on purpose to rile you.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 12:55 pm
@dalehileman,
Cen I have this terrible habit of savin' b4 readin':

Cen I'm astounded. When we started 18 years back (12?) a2k was probly the most lib chat room on the Web

Incidentally I still wish your prof was in Engl. If you feel up to translatin' it I'm still [email protected]

...and apparently don't care who else knows it
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 12:56 pm
@centrox,
Quote:
It's in Lorem Ipsum on purpose to rile you
Cen once more you've restored my faith in the subtle ha-ha
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 02:30 pm
@centrox,
I remember your comment and I didn't think it was the sort of thing that would raise anyone's hackles. It's weird — for a guy who claims to know the secrets of the universe, the identity of god, and the meaning of life, Mr. McDougall seems rather thin-skinned.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 02:46 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
didn't think it was the sort of thing that would raise anyone's hackles. It's weird
Hey Tor, that was exactly my own reaction, I didn't think he had anytin' so bad

Just recently there were a cupla other threads where this sorta thing is discussed. As you will see, Mgmt admitted mistakenly deleting a few postings; which I can understand since they're apparently very busy folk

But thanks Hi for your input 'cause with all the furor, thot I was losin' it
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 09:02 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Wow again Al, your approach is very nearly parallel to mine; which only shows what a competent thinker and fine writer we have

You not me

Thanks for a positive reply!
dalehileman

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 11:53 am
@Alan McDougall,
Al, been a real pleasure chatting witya
0 Replies