Forged my signature

hktor

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:57 pm
I founded a Florida based corporation in 1999. I was one of three officers, all family. Two years later an out of state co-worker was added to the corporation in Florida.
Last year I found out this person, who lives on PA, opened a PA corporation using the same corporate name and forged my signature to file the corporate documents.
Do I have legal recourse to prosecute & must I use a lawyer in PA or FL to do this?
Thank you in advance for any guidence.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 694 • Replies: 3
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 10:51 pm
If you have proof that he forged your signature and
can produce the corporate papers, I'll say: go for it!
He committed fraud and deceived you and your clients
who probably believed it was your corporation as well.
In addition I would seek punitive damages for the
possible negative image reflecting on your company
name.

Unfortunately, since it is in PA you have to seek legal
counsel in PA as well.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 05:04 am
No, you don't need to seek legal counsel in PA. You can seek it in FL (or anywhere else in the US, for that matter), and have your attorney file what is called a motion pro hac vice. This is to have your attorney provisionally admitted to PA for that one case.

Note that you will probably end up paying travel expenses for the lawyer, but the advantage is that you can see him or her more often and calls are local. The expenses are probably six of one, half a dozen of the other.

As for where suit is filed, it'll be PA or should be PA, as the corporation is domiciled there, the fraud occurred there, and the papers were filed there.
0 Replies

hktor

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 06:39 pm
Thank you very much
Thank you for the information CalamityJane and jespah. I will have to speak to a lawyer in Florida and see what we can do.

Yes I do have a copy of the Corp document that was forged. I sent the required fee and PA sent me copies.

I have since sent a complaint and copies of the forged document along with copies of the original documents I filed in Florida with my signature to the PA Attorney General Consumer Affairs. This is what the PA Office of criminal fraud suggested.

I was hoping to avoid using an attorney due to the fact that forgery is a criminal matter and the PA Attorney General's office would prosecute.
Thanks Again.
0 Replies