2
   

Christians under attack.

 
 
ebrown p
 
  1  
Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 06:42 pm
I don't have anything against Christians.

It is the people who call themselves "Christians" and get all self-righteous, and then support the exact opposite of what Christ stood for that really get me mad.

A real Christian would not even consider voting for Bush.

Jesus talked about "not resisting the evil man", "loving your enemies" and "turning the other cheek". Bush is out to kill the "evil doers" and vengence is very high on the Bush followers list of values.

Jesus talked about selling your possessions to give to the poor, taking care of the needy and healing the sick. Bush followers are worried about keeping as much of their money as they can, cutting off aid to the needy and to hell with the sick.

And Jesus had two recorded experiences with capital punishment. In one, he stopped an execution. In the other he was the victim.

I deeply respect anyone who is truly trying to live a Christian life of mercy, meekness, helping the poor and needy and not judging others.

It is the fake, hypocritical Christians that so fill America that simply make me sick!

These are the yahoos who elected the man who's war on "evildoers" has killed thousands. Most of them just want to keep their pasty white asses safe and hang on to enough money to make boat payments.

Forgive my anger. But Americans, including Bush, have hijacked a perfectly good religion and turned it into the exact opposite of what the Jesus of the Bible intended.
0 Replies
 
cannistershot
 
  1  
Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 06:43 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I definitely have a problem with Christian bashing. I can't find a blunt enough instrument to bash them with.

Just joshin you cannistershot. I'm sorry that happens to you. It's part and parcel of having the same religion as some rabid nasty fanatics. I bet there are some muslims in this country who feel the same way you do. A sense of humor might help. You could always slap them on the forehead and yell 'BE HEALED!!'


Laughing
0 Replies
 
dyslexia
 
  1  
Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 06:45 pm
Well, as Ronald Reagan used to say "you've seen one christain, you've seen them all" or maybe he said "Christians cause more polution than cars do" I often get condused when he comes to Reagan and the things he has said.
0 Replies
 
cannistershot
 
  1  
Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 06:45 pm
jespah wrote:
LOL

I've had bashing/anti-semitism happen to me, and it's no fun and really rather unnerving. It's horrible when anything like this happens here, in this country, in 2004. BTW, can you talk to HR about this?



I probably should.
0 Replies
 
cannistershot
 
  1  
Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 06:49 pm
cannistershot wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
I definitely have a problem with Christian bashing. I can't find a blunt enough instrument to bash them with.

Just joshin you cannistershot. I'm sorry that happens to you. It's part and parcel of having the same religion as some rabid nasty fanatics. I bet there are some muslims in this country who feel the same way you do. A sense of humor might help. You could always slap them on the forehead and yell 'BE HEALED!!'


Laughing



BTW I know that some (probably all) Muslims do feel the same way. I have 5 co-workers that are Muslim (3 citizens 2 not) and they have it much worse than me. I can not believe some of the things that people will say in front of them just to get a rise from them. They are all peace loving, easy going, polite, and smart enough to let it go.
0 Replies
 
Debra Law
 
  1  
Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 06:55 pm
excellent post
ebrown_p wrote:
I don't have anything against Christians.

It is the people who call themselves "Christians" and get all self-righteous, and then support the exact opposite of what Christ stood for that really get me mad.

A real Christian would not even consider voting for Bush.

Jesus talked about "not resisting the evil man", "loving your enemies" and "turning the other cheek". Bush is out to kill the "evil doers" and vengence is very high on the Bush followers list of values.

Jesus talked about selling your possessions to give to the poor, taking care of the needy and healing the sick. Bush followers are worried about keeping as much of their money as they can, cutting off aid to the needy and to hell with the sick.

And Jesus had two recorded experiences with capital punishment. In one, he stopped an execution. In the other he was the victim.

I deeply respect anyone who is truly trying to live a Christian life of mercy, meekness, helping the poor and needy and not judging others.

It is the fake, hypocritical Christians that so fill America that simply make me sick!

These are the yahoos who elected the man who's war on "evildoers" has killed thousands. Most of them just want to keep their pasty white asses safe and hang on to enough money to make boat payments.

Forgive my anger. But Americans, including Bush, have hijacked a perfectly good religion and turned it into the exact opposite of what the Jesus of the Bible intended.


Excellent post, ebrown.
0 Replies
 
farmerman
 
  1  
Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 07:13 pm
e-brown. I never gave it much thought till you just now brought it up. bush is more an active Muslim in practice than he is a Christian.
Think of the principal precepts of christianity

"You should do good and avoid evil"

Muslims, "people of the book" say

"You must COMMAND GOOD and DESTROY EVIL"
hmmm, my one college non-science or math course came in handy
0 Replies
 
joefromchicago
 
  1  
Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 12:39 pm
cannistershot: Have you ever considered the possibility that these people who are gathered outside your office aren't Christian bashing, it's just that they don't like you?
0 Replies
 
cannistershot
 
  1  
Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 12:44 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
cannistershot: Have you ever considered the possibility that these people who are gathered outside your office aren't Christian bashing, it's just that they don't like you?


For the most part they don't.
1) I'm a christian
2) Most of them worked in my department when I came to work here and changed things.
3) I'm a republican which = enemy to them

Today is much better.
0 Replies
 
blueveinedthrobber
 
  1  
Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 03:09 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Well, as Ronald Reagan used to say "you've seen one christain, you've seen them all" or maybe he said "Christians cause more polution than cars do" I often get condused when he comes to Reagan and the things he has said.


as did he.... :wink:
0 Replies
 
cannistershot
 
  1  
Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 03:28 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
Well, as Ronald Reagan used to say "you've seen one christain, you've seen them all" or maybe he said "Christians cause more polution than cars do" I often get condused when he comes to Reagan and the things he has said.


as did he.... :wink:


This was before he was shot. :wink:
0 Replies
 
adam k
 
  1  
Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 09:53 am
Cannister-
The co-workers you describe are "bashing" you for your vote, not for being a Christian.
I am a Christian myself, but here is what annoys me so much about the role the Christian faiths played in this election: Millions of Christians were duped (by religious leaders and right-wing radio hosts) into believing that gay marriage and abortion are "issues of morality," but the war and the President's dishonesty are not. Issues about the war, the deficit and the economy will be paramount in American society for the next four years, but the radical right convinced Christians that this election was actually a referendum on gay marriage.
Plenty of people voted for Bush because they thought he was the best candidate. But plenty of others voted for him because they accepted what they were told by the radical right without asking if it made sense. A lot of people who proudly identify themselves first and foremost as Christians allowed themselves to be duped.
0 Replies
 
adam k
 
  1  
Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 10:02 am
Example: I was raised in the Catholic church and went to Catholic schools. For my entire life, I heard the Catholic church say that its most basic tenet about human life is this: ALL HUMAN LIFE IS SACRED, FROM THE MOMENT OFCONCEPTION TO THE MOMENT OF NATURAL DEATH. Very simple, very clear, no qualifications, no "yeah buts."
This this year, as the Catholic church mounted its assault on Kerry, with some leaders telling their parishoners that if you voted for Kerry you had to confess it as a sin, they got caught in a web of hypocrisy. The chuch was clearly, if implicitly, supporting Bush. Despite the fact that the Pope has spoken out against Bush's war, and despite the fact that Bush is an absolutely giddy proponent of capital punishment.
So what does the Catholic leadership do? They offer a clarification of the statement about "all human life is sacred" in order to express that, well, OK, we don't agree with capital punishment but it's OK if you disagree, but abortion is not up for debate. The leaders of the church softened their stance on the war and on capital punishment in order to permit their parishoners to vote for Bush. And against Kerry.
There is no other way to interpret this: The Catholic Church modified one of most basic tenets of the faith in order to support a politician. (Ironically enough, they did this to help this politician defeat a Catholic.) In short, the Catholic church sold its soul to become a wing of George Bush's Republican Party.
It is DISGUSTING.
But millions of Catholics accepted it and voted for Bush like they were told to do.
These voters should not be ashamed. It was their choice. But the Catholic church should be ashamed about the decision to push their parishoners in this direction.
0 Replies
 
husker
 
  1  
Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 10:45 am
edgarblythe wrote:
People bashing the fundamentalist Christians who work to elect people like Bush do not blame all Christians. In fact, there are many Christians bashing the fundamentalists too.


very true
0 Replies
 
husker
 
  1  
Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 10:49 am
adam k. wrote:
Cannister-
The co-workers you describe are "bashing" you for your vote, not for being a Christian.
I am a Christian myself, but here is what annoys me so much about the role the Christian faiths played in this election: Millions of Christians were duped (by religious leaders and right-wing radio hosts) into believing that gay marriage and abortion are "issues of morality," but the war and the President's dishonesty are not. Issues about the war, the deficit and the economy will be paramount in American society for the next four years, but the radical right convinced Christians that this election was actually a referendum on gay marriage.
Plenty of people voted for Bush because they thought he was the best candidate. But plenty of others voted for him because they accepted what they were told by the radical right without asking if it made sense. A lot of people who proudly identify themselves first and foremost as Christians allowed themselves to be duped.


If I was the one duped for all the Christians that I know then - then I'm a minority.
0 Replies
 
PKB
 
  1  
Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 05:24 pm
cannistershot wrote:
willow_tl wrote:
not christian bashing...I just don't want you telling me what i can or cannot believe...and i think there is danger in the religious right taking over our country...


You can believe or not believe whatever you want I won't tell you any different. I don't like people getting in my face any more than you do. I just always thought that the democratic party was the party of tolerance, does that not include christians Question It doesn't seem to since about noon on Wednesday. I have to keep my office door closed to keep from being harassed for being "one of the right wing christian nuts that re-elected Bush"


First off I am sorry that you are having to put up with any sort of harassment over the election. It's not like your vote alone won Bush the election. Secondly, being a Democrat, I resent being called a Liberal. I am no more Liberal than a moderate Republican. Again, I put up with a certain amount of harrassment from friends and relatives that are Republican. I am a Christian and I believe that you should do unto others as you would have them do unto you. ( I believe you are the one on the political threads posted the "Christian Democrats?" thread :wink: )
All I can tell you is to stand firm in your beliefs and turn a deaf ear to the blather of the others and please try not to let it color your opinion of all Democrats as I would never dream of treating someone that way. I will in turn not let the attitude of some repubilcans color my opinion of that party.
0 Replies
 
Isha
 
  1  
Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 12:14 am
cannistershot
:wink: Hey Cannistershot, don't feel too bad. I'm getting it too at work. My co-workers had a cow (some must have had humongous hemmorroids) when they found out that little ol' open minded, freedom for all, had voted Bush.

Sometimes they'll raise their voice and once they do that, I totally lower mine, that way they have to lower theirs in order to hear me.

They're the ones that always bring it up so I have no choice but to very lovinly tell them "Yes papi, I did vote red. It's okay papi, I'll still make you that yummy flan you've been asking about...yes...we're still cool...no problem"................................................................

So now I have to go buy the ingredients and make that stupid flan to take to work....I better make a big one...these guys eat like bottom less pits.
Razz
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

700 Inconsistencies in the Bible - Discussion by onevoice
Why do we deliberately fool ourselves? - Discussion by coincidence
Spirituality - Question by Miller
Oneness vs. Trinity - Discussion by Arella Mae
give you chills - Discussion by Bartikus
Evidence for Evolution! - Discussion by Bartikus
Evidence of God! - Discussion by Bartikus
One World Order?! - Discussion by Bartikus
God loves us all....!? - Discussion by Bartikus
The Preambles to Our States - Discussion by Charli
 
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 06/17/2024 at 05:22:54