Writing Workshops

Endymion

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 03:17 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
lexi--

You really should post your work in a new thread rather than burying it here in the "Workshop" discussion where it may not be seen.

I'm sure that this is good advice.

Having said that, I'm wondering about this short (2330 word) story I'm hanging onto. It grew out of the character portrait excercise looked at here in the workshop. I don't know if I want to post it Out There.

Feeling very nervous about this one.

revel wrote:

Personally I would be afraid to post my stories on line

Agreed. Yet there is a part of me that wants to share the characters and the story - almost a desire. I'm excited, because I really think I've written a short story. It may not be brilliant, but it has a beginning and an end, which makes it the best thing I have written so far.

Just want to do things the right way. Don't want to feel like a coward.
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 08:03 pm
E, When it comes to first publication, the most important part is just doing it. It's a very important breaking-through, and all artists need to do it eventually. If you feel you've written a real short story AND you feel excited about it, maybe now is the time to put it out there. Go with your gut instinct. I'd sure like to see your story!
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 06:24 am
Thanks, Miklos

Your post is much appreciated.
In a way, I suppose it would be a good thing to put the story out there before I start seeing too much wrong with it.

What a chicken!

I keep going to do it, but then thinking, nah, folks are gona laugh. Man, I've been in situations before where it's taken guts to move on...but this?
This is agonising.
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 07:34 am
I have always had an interest in movie making but never had enough time to even get close to the mechanics of it. I love to write purely for the pleasure.

I know there are many Screen Writing courses and workshops in places such as in and around Los Angeles as well as on-line. I discovered a course that is going to be offered locally and I enrolled in it. It begins in two weeks. It only runs two hour each week for six weeks but I am looking forward to it. I only have a rough idea about what screen writing is.

It probably is not definitive such as math, science or business. The A, B, Cs, if there are any, must vary depending on the writer. It's an art right?

I don't expect to be giving Joel and Ethan Coen people any competition soon. I just need to find out a little something about screen writing so I can satisfy myself with my own scribblings.

Great to be retired. Cool
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 10:30 am
I enjoyed reading your post Jack.

Happy retirement.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 01:31 pm
Okay...I've done it.
<wipes sweat from brow>

I've posted my first story.

(Think I'll go and play computer games for a few days)
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 05:06 am
Okay... so what's next?
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 06:27 am
I posted a very rough short story here someplace, I titled "Time to Go" months back.

Next Thursday I begin a survey course in Screen Writing. It runs only one night a week for five weeks. If it fits in to whatever we are going to do there I hope to use "Time to Go" in order to create my first, very short screen play.

It's handy and its mine. :wink:
0 Replies