How dependent are we on space exploration for things such as GPS navigation?

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2017 08:27 am
What do you think ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,254 • Replies: 7
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2017 09:39 am
@Michael Johnson,
The two things aren't mutually exclusive. The satellites that provide us global GPS are in orbits that have been explored for decades (and aren't that mysterious).

Those orbits probably need a good cleaning up from space debris but not exploration.

The scientific arm that works with space exploration is a completely different limb than those running the commercial space driven side of things.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2017 11:13 am
@Michael Johnson,
Mike, my reaction was like Tsar's. However, I'd guess space travel might reveal a few facts eventually pertinent to GPS
Krumple

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2017 02:10 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Mike, my reaction was like Tsar's. However, I'd guess space travel might reveal a few facts eventually pertinent to GPS

Uhg.

You need three points of reference for determining position, distance to or from an object. Current GPS only works within the sphere of the planet. Going beyond earth orbit GPS is useless.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2017 04:21 pm
@Michael Johnson,
GPS is entirely dependent on satellites, not so much on exploration (any more). Although it could be argued that if we hadn't explored in the first place we might not have developed satellites.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2017 04:44 pm
@Krumple,
Quote:
Going beyond earth orbit GPS is useless.
Ah Krump, but we never know what single vital element might be uncovered in space travel that might benefit nav of all sorts
Krumple

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2017 06:22 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Quote:
Going beyond earth orbit GPS is useless.
Ah Krump, but we never know what single vital element might be uncovered in space travel that might benefit nav of all sorts

We might have some technology that would allow interplanetary journeys but first they take a very long time even at 12k/S it takes months to get to the nearest planet. Not exactly the most entertaining vacation. Then what do you do when you get there? Stare down from orbit? Ooh ahh..

GPS by its name is only for earth navigation. It doesn't or wouldn't help for interplanetary travel.

Could we set up interplanetary beacons that work like GPS? Sure but why if no one is using them or there is no demand to travel outside Earths orbit.

Try back in say 500 years then you can one up me in this discussion.
0 Replies

bearnard45

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2020 06:24 am
@Michael Johnson,
I guess pretty much. Especially if we are talking about missions on the long distance. Gps in those space journeys is a must-have thing but I don`t how exactly it works in space.
0 Replies