The Farmers' Fight With Monsanto

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 09:52 pm
Near Bruno, Saskatchewan, there are farmers fighting Monsanto over drifting DNA. The DNA from treated seeds blows into the farmers' fields, unbidden; still, Monsanto wants to be compensated.
Here is the link:Blowin' in the Wind
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,392 • Replies: 10
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 09:57 pm
bizarre
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 09:57 pm
I had trouble with the url, but it works now.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 06:20 am
Unbelievable!!! Like farmers don't have it tough enough. Now they have to put up with being sued by this bully seed company. Some people are just plain evil!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 07:23 am
The law ought to be cut and dried in the farmers' favor, but apparently is not.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 08:32 am
that's disgusting.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 10:11 am
I'll say!!! The farmers have enough trouble trying to get through all the situations that mother nature puts on them and now this. I'm really pissed off about this thing, to say the least. I hope the farmers win hands down in this stupid situation. This is a nightmare!!!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 09:46 pm
How do you fight these things when government seemingly sides with the big money almost every time?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 10:04 pm
Sounds easy to me. That geneticly modified produce can't be marked in the EU, so the farmers have been clearly damaged. Counter sue Monsanto for damages.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 09:30 am
There's an idea Roger :-) Now wouldn't that be one great back fire bite in the a$$, lol!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 06:36 pm
Farmers group welcomes company's GM wheat decision
A decision by the biotechnology company, Monsanto, to stop efforts to introduce genetically-modified (GM) wheat has been welcomed by the Network of Concerned Farmers.

Monsanto says the decision was made on commercial grounds because prospects for roundup ready wheat are not as good as other products.

Monsanto had not applied to plant the wheat in Australia, concentrating on roundup ready canola.

Julie Newman from the Network of Concerned Farmers says the decision is a great relief.

Ms Newman says economists in the United States and Canada predict the introduction of GM wheat would be an economic disaster.

"It's too difficult and too expensive to segregate non-GM wheat from GM wheat and the majority of markets have made it very clear that if there's any contamination in their GM wheat they do not want it," she said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s1106449.htm
0 Replies