Jes, help

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 12:15 pm
Yes I know I should use 'Contact Us,' but it seldom seems to achieve anythin'. The 'Tab' doesn't work for an OP until it's accessed or saved; so in effect we can't indent the para. I wonder if this isn't a softweare glitch...

https://able2know.org/topic/380104-1#post-6404075

centrox

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 12:21 pm
@dalehileman,
You can't use the Tab key to indent your typing (is that what you mean?) because that key already has a use in browsers, namely to move focus to different parts of the web page being viewed. This is as an alternative to using the mouse. It is a standard part of the way web pages work, and I don't expect the whole web is going to be changed to accommodate your whim. Just use 4 spaces instead.

dalehileman

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 12:26 pm
@centrox,
Quote:
don't expect the whole web is going to be changed to accommodate your whim
Alas alack, but thanks, Tim

Quote:
Just use 4 spaces instead
Okay let's try it:

Quote:
page being viewed.

This is as

Nah Cen din't wk. I realize there are other ways to indent but they require multiple keystrokes; so lookin' for an easy way. Mgmt forgive the lazy slob and uninitiated (me)

Lemme try the '.....'

Quote:
for an easy way.

.....Mgmt forgive the

for an easy way.

.....Mgmt forgive the

...Nah hat dun't wk nuther
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 12:30 pm
@centrox,
Sorry to say this but I have a $10-bill on a bet that says Dale will ask this exact same question again ... real soon. He has been asking this for months and various people have already attempted to explain it. Poor Dale. Sorry you have a hard time with editing ...but we all have to adapt to the rules of editing and formatting on the Internet and 'net fora.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 12:36 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
..but we all have to adapt to the rules
Oh yea Rag it's just awful bein' 96 or thereabout !

Doubtless what you mean to say Ag, is that at some past time someone in an earlier posting or OP has explained how it's done, and if so my most sincere apolos. Your patience however, helpfulness, and your determination are to be commended most heartily
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 01:17 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
He has been asking this for months and various people have already attempted to explain it.

It's simple. A web browser is not a word processor. The tab key does something different.
centrox

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 01:28 pm
@centrox,
You're right, ordinary spaces don't register at the start of a line. "Hard" (non-breaking) spaces will.

These should work:

Keyboard shortcuts for hard space:

Windows: first ensure Num Lock is on, hold down the Alt key, type 255 on the numeric keypad, release the Alt key.

Mac: ⌥ Opt+Space
https://i.imgbox.com/oB80hzU1.jpg

On the margin
    indented 4 hard spaces
On the margin

dalehileman

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 01:29 pm
@centrox,
Quote:
The tab key does something different
Yes yes yes Cen I undersdtand dat, 'deed do. However admittedly I do simplify my q's 'cause I get attacked so oƒt by the TAT. If I could rephrase:

Is there any way to get indented a paragraph in my OP
[/i]
???????????

Now, when I say OP I mean 'Original Posting," or the one so evident in color to everybody esle at a2k, but thanks TAT for criticisding me so for having interpreted it slightly differently. I am humbly grateful. I do realize that the Tab is recognized for its original purpose (please don't ask me to explain what I mean by that) in the software involved when viewing or saving the posting in that colorless box

...the one that keeps gettin' cut off at the b ottom for no apparent reason...
centrox

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 01:36 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Is there any way to get indented a paragraph in my OP

As I wrote above, use hard spaces

Not indented
        indented by 8 hard spaces
Not indented

If they are a hassle, just create one and then copy & paste it ad libitum.

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 01:36 pm
@centrox,
Wow Cen, thank you again, can't tell ya how much 'preciated all your time and effort. Let's try it

time and effort.https://i.imgbox.com/oB80hzU1.jpgLet's try it

Well that didn't work

I think I have a Mac/Apple so lookin' for that -\" (?) symbol on the keyboard, can't find it, but patience....no respo reqd...yet...

your time and effort.-\"Let's try itNo, obviously that'm]n wrong too. So

your time and effort. \ Let's try it

Nah thatr didn't work. Lemme try revbacklash in quotes

your time and effort. "\" Let's try it

No that's not right either. Maybe I shouldn't use the quotes

your time and effort. Let's try it

.......wait, I've gotta review your instructions still again....but if I don't come back it's 'cause they cut me off....it's some crazy software glitch....
centrox

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 01:38 pm
What ???
dalehileman

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 01:48 pm
@centrox,
Quote:
What ???
What what Cen

Apparently the trouble is, I dunno what's an 'Opt.' Option? Optimum? Opportunity" You gotta forgive an old fella... To Mgmt: I'm perfectly serios, I'm not Spammin' or whatever you call it so don't, please don't delete my postin'.
I'm actually 96 and confused by the whole thing. While I love a2k the software glitches are takin' hold and I'm not sure I'm gonna survive.When I was a kid I was at 140 but now I'm not at all sure, it's somethin' that haps to ur brain...

Oh Cen, again I'm not kidding, I'm genuinely grateful for your efforts and not just tryin' to piss ya off but wouldn't blame ya at all if you decided to sign out; there may be no hope for me
centrox

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 01:49 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

I think I have a Mac/Apple so lookin' for that -\" (?) symbol on the keyboard, can't find it, but patience....no respo reqd...yet...

https://i.imgbox.com/bavxJQnr.jpg
You have the key I marked x ? Hold it down and keep it pressed down while you press the space bar (the long wide key I have marked with a y) and finally let go of both keys.
centrox

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 01:54 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Quote:
What ???
What what Cen

Apparently the trouble is, I dunno what's an 'Opt.' Option? Optimum? Opportunity" You gotta forgive an old fella...

How long have you had a Mac? The Option key is a modifier key present on Apple keyboards. It is located between the Control key and Command key on a typical Mac keyboard. There are two option keys on modern Mac desktop and notebook keyboards, one on each side of the space bar.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/81/Third-party_option_key.JPG/330px-Third-party_option_key.JPG

From 1980 to 1984, on the Apple II family, this key was known as the closed apple key, and had a black line drawing of a filled-in apple on it.

Since the 1990s, "alt" typically appears on the key, as well, for use as an Alt key with non-Mac software, such as Unix and Windows programs. However, the Option key in a Mac operating system functions differently from the Alt key under other Unix-like systems or Microsoft Windows. Most notably, it is not used to access menus or hotkeys, but is instead used as a modifier for other command codes, and also to provide easier access to various accents and symbols. In this regard, it is akin to the AltGr key, found on some IBM-compatible PC keyboards.

Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Option_key

dalehileman

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 02:01 pm
@centrox,
Bless you for that Cen I don't have such a key but I'll try "≈"

for that CenI don't have

Wel that din't work, I got a whole lot of " "' " " 's and then a string of loud bleeps. So I'll try it w/o the 'Alt'

for that Cen I don't have

Well Cen as you can see that only gave me a space. Like I said, if you wanna give up,....
centrox

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 02:09 pm
So, is it a Mac or isn't it?
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 02:11 pm
@centrox,
Aha !! Thanks again Cen most kindly. Nobody else in the whole world would go to so much trouble for some idiot at some remote location using fuzzy software to comm with a compl stranger....

Anyhow my 'Alt' key doesn't have those two symbols. Apparently it's the new keyboard my fine No/ 2 Son recently gave me....

Still I had done exactly that: Alt-x held down then spacebar. Lemme try again tho

then sdpacebar. ≈  Lemme try again

All I got was the '~'. Mebbe din't do it fast enough....

Nah only did it again. Wait, lemme try sumpthin' else:
Nah only did it again. Wait, lemme try sumpthin' else:

Nah only did it again.   ` Wait, lemme try sumpthin' else:

Cen, again forgive me but there are 54 different ways to use the '~' in combo with the ' ' and the 'x'. If yo're still able to put up w/me, then maybe we can try again tmw

I'm wondering if the TAT has somehow invaded the software and tmw alla this willabin deleted. Pse, Mgmt, don't let that happen
dalehileman

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 02:34 pm
@dalehileman,
Mgmt, please please look into (a) cutting off gthe bottom of the box every time (sometimes making it jump up0 and dopwn); (b) shutting me down before I'm done
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 02:40 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Still I had done exactly that: Alt-x held down then spacebar.
with the ' ' and the 'x'.

The 'x' was just something I put in the picture so you could see which key I meant. Don't do anything with the actual 'x' key on the keyboard!!
dalehileman

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 02:50 pm
@centrox,
Cen, just see how easy it is to confuse the 886-year-old

Nah only did it again.`  Wait, lemme try sumpthin' else:
Nah only did it again.`  Wait, lemme try sumpthin' else:
Nah only did it again. `Wait, lemme try sumpthin' else:

Nah only did it again.
`  Wait, lemme try sumpthin' else:

Hay Cen, we did it: Actually it took 68 tries in various combos but finally wound up with : Alt ~ (in that order, together, held down) spacebar

Dunno where the " ' " came from but I don't care, I'm so grateful !!!! Thank you again for your unbelievable patience
0 Replies