There Were Only Three..........................

Letty

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 09:48 pm
But they knocked on the door and when I opened it, ready with my pumpkin full of treats, I saw the delightful home made costumes and smiling faces, reflecting fun and halloween conspiracy.

I saw the car in the road, waiting to make certain that I was a person who was harmless.

The oldest girl was very protective of the smaller ones, and when I told them that today was my birthday, and that they were talking with a good witch and a retired teacher, it seemed to reanimate them.

When they cleaned out my pumpkin of its candy, they smiled and wished me a happy birthday, totally unafraid and energetic.

The smallest boy blurted out with enthusiasm that his friend's birthday was today, too. He was quite proud of that......

They waved; ran to the car, and I cut off the outside lights, knowing that there would be no more small beggars this night.

Sweet childish faces,
Underneath the regalia,
So unafraid and youthful,
So open; candid; truthful.

I felt a light inside
The three had brought to me.
And I thought of the magi.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 608 • Replies: 13
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 10:29 pm
My wife and I spent Saturday night babysitting two of my grandchildren, ages one and three. Whatever cynicism might ride in my pocket on ordinary nights swiftly fell away. Little Austin and Joey and Sponge Bob have been with me all the day since.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 07:56 am
You're right, edgar. Children, large or small, have a way of making us redesign the world.

I saw on the news that Halloween has become bigger than Christmas as far as spending is concerned. I find that odd.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 08:00 am
nice stuff Letty...we had 8 visit us...i imagine my diabetes will act up trying to finish off all this chocolate...:-)...I remember it being more fun when i was a child...more kids and more things to do in the neighborhood...we were military and lived on base, maybe that has something to do with it...but the turn out here in Wichita has been low every year we have lived here...Hope Your Birthday was joyous:-)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 08:03 am
You know, in our building, they don't let kids go door to door. They put out candy in the lobby instead. In my parent's building, they don't even do that. I'm guessing it's the frigging lawyers who came up with that plan, what with perceived liability and all....sad though.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 08:11 am
Oh, my gorsh, willow. You're a military brat. Love it! Frankly, I was surprised that I got anyone. As for that candy stuff, I know exactly what you mean. Need to start sticking my finger again, I guess.

Cav, Some time back, there were odd and sick folks who put lethal stuff in Halloween treats. That sorta threw a pall over the harmless celebration. You're right, Cav. there are those in any profession that capitalize on the wrong tarts, er make that torts. Razz
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 06:03 pm
I live in the home territory of the Candy Man, a person who filled a Pixie Stick with poison and fed it to his own child on Halloween Night. The man has since been executed by the state, but he is ever in the minds of parents around October 31st. The last three times we took my own children trick or treating we went to the mall, where retailers handed out the sweet sticky stuff.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 06:18 pm
edgar, I have often wondered about what kind of person would harm a child. I suppose that it begins with a defective gene, and then develops into a thing unseen.

Even for those on this site that have no children, there is still a built in protectiveness. As parents and grandparents, we can sense danger, but even those who will never know the delight of holding a tiny baby live through the eyes of those of us who do.

The Candy Man-----------------------------------------------------------------
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 06:25 pm
He was dubbed Candy Man perhaps by the media. It is said his motivation was insurance money.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 07:46 pm
This story reminded me of friday night. Im a youth worker for my church and we took the kids camping friday night. We had guys come out in mask and scare the kids. It was a lot of fun... the kids laughed afterwards. One of the kids, Louigi, is 10 and tends to follow me around. He's a fun kid, rides a skate board and has all the little girls giggling at him. Well the men in mask came back and sent the kids running. This time louigi comes running to me and jumps into my arms from about 2 feet away and burries his face in my neck. I never really thought I made an impact on kids really till that night. It's just amazing how they can just seem to melt things away.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 07:58 pm
You are the right kind of big brother, Seed. I have often thought of the silent suffering of children and the need for us to hold them close. Perhaps it's our own need that we are fulfilling.

My son was born talking. <smile>and I thought to myself, Damn, Dave, shut up...and when he did, when he was so ill, just one word would have been enough to last me a life time
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 08:03 pm
I know how that goes too... Sad
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 08:24 pm
There's not one person born in this world that hasn't felt rejected at one time in his life--Not ONE!

One final poem tonight, and then I must be off to bed.

Look for me in original writing.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 08:27 pm
i shall Letty... see you there Smile
0 Replies