Ad-aware update error

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 07:01 pm
What would cause an error while loading a reference file? I closed the program and tried to check for updates again, but the error message comes up when I start the program. I can still scan my computer with Ad-aware, but what's the use if I don't have the latest updates?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,053 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Thok

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 07:02 pm
First of all, which error message?
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 07:17 pm
Hi Sunmaiden.....

Exact same thing happened to me....

I ended up having to uninstall the version of adaware that I had been using. Seems it will not accept this new reference file because there is a NEW VERSION of adaware out now.

So just install the new version and it should fix it for ya!
0 Replies

Sunmaiden

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 09:08 pm
Thok wrote:
First of all, which error message?

the error message is:

"Error while loading the Ad-aware reference-file"
0 Replies

Sunmaiden

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 09:10 pm
Thanks Brooke - question: is the new version the free version? I'm running 6.0 ................
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 09:25 pm
If you're gonna be upgradin' a paid version, you're gonna wanna use the LavaSoft-Provided download link keyed to your email or order number. The file size is 5.75 MB. Be aware that LavaSoft's download server currently is runnin' real slow ... delivery is at about dialup speed, so apparently there's lots'n'lotsa traffic right now. Even if you've got broadband, it might be a good idea to use a download manager and schedule the drop for overnight.

And once you've got it downloaded, UNINSTALL your previous version. The new installation will offer to do it for you ... let it do so. Once the new version is installed, go in and configure it ... your previous custom scan settings won't be there.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 09:51 pm
Sunmaiden wrote:
Thanks Brooke - question: is the new version the free version? I'm running 6.0 ................

Yes, there is a free new version too.

If their site is slow use this mirror:

http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html
0 Replies

shae hart

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 10:32 pm
The same msg came up for me.. they are getting rid of ad0aware 6 so u will need to download adaware SE. I have just done it it has fixed all the probs.. remmber to remove the old one as it nolong is needed. and the new verison of adaware is FREE
0 Replies

Sunmaiden

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:00 pm
shae_hart wrote:
The same msg came up for me.. they are getting rid of ad0aware 6 so u will need to download adaware SE. I have just done it it has fixed all the probs.. remmber to remove the old one as it nolong is needed. and the new verison of adaware is FREE

When I click on the download button, it appears that nothing is happening. I waited for almost an hour and a download 'bar' never showed up. How long did it take for you to download?
0 Replies

Sunmaiden

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:08 pm
never mind ...... I just downloaded and installed it. It only took 2 minutes. The problem I was having was because Symantec had it blocked. I just disabled Symantec, downloaded, installed, then enabled Symantec. Thanks everyone!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:11 pm
Sunmaiden, are using LavaSoft's own download link, or the mirror CdK offered? From the mirror, I just dropped the freeware 2.51 MB file in about 25 seconds, pulling at an average of better than 900 kbps over a 1.5Mbps connection ... it don't get much better than that. Using LavaSoft's server to drop the paid version, however, I found the delivery to be in modem-speed range, the larger file requiring something like 1/2 an hour to drop using the same connection.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 03:52 am
BM
0 Replies

Sunmaiden

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 05:57 pm
I got it taken care of - thanks everyone.
0 Replies