NORTON Anti-Virus EXCLUSION LIST

LarryBS

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 09:36 pm
In Norton Anti-Virus there is an Exclusion List (can be found by clicking on Anti-Virus Options), with certain filetypes listed to be excluded from protection. I sort of understood the Norton Help file's explanation of this, but it seems like this would be a loophole where someone could slip a virus onto your machine. If someone could elaborate on this I'd appreciate it.

I have never added or deleted any of the file types on my exclusion list, so I have to assume the ones listed there were there when it was first installed on my computer. Are there certain file types that I should expect to see on that list, and wouldn't they be the same for anyone else out there that has installed Norton Anti-virus recently, like me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,793 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 01:16 am
I have Norton, and have never modified any file types. The way things are on the internet now, I would want as much protection as possible. If something really urgent came along that you HAD to open, you could probably do something on a case by case basis.

Norton warns you when you have received a virus, and then you have the choice as to what you can do with it. I remember the first time I received one of many Klez' that I have received. Norton cannot remove them, but they can "quarrantine" them, and then you may delete them. The first time that I got one, I was afraid to delete it, but it bugged me that this potential stinker was sitting in my E Mail.

So I asked some of the members on A2K, and I was assured that the Klez may be removed without the computer blowing up. First I quarrantine it. Then I delete it from Norton, Then I delete it from Outlook Express. Then I go to the "deleteed files" on Outlook Express, and delete it again. I must have blown away a few dozen of those suckers so far!
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 02:05 am
I do not think there is a need for setting exclusion of file types. If you think about the fact that new viruses are producde everyday, even checking all the files might be desirable for the security, though it's hard to think the classical ".txt" files, for example, could do any harm.

By the way, contrary to the hype often talked about loudly in some security companies, Java, which is totally different from Javascript, is not very dangerous, as Java is setting severe limits, by specification, its codes accessing system resources on which they run. It does not even permit its codes to change the system time. It might be a hardly known fact to general users that virus codes written in Java are very rare (only a few), though those written in VBS or JS (Javascript, different from and unrelated with Java programming language) are very common.
But I do not claim that unchecked running of uncertified (no problem for certified) Java applets on your OS is very safe.
0 Replies