What minerals are in this limestone rock?

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2017 08:40 am
I got this limestone rock from my dad's factory and I'm having trouble identifying where which minerals are, can anyone tell me where and what the minerals of the rock in the picture are?

IMGUR LINK: http://imgur.com/a/DbSit
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 914 • Replies: 20

dalehileman

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2017 01:22 pm
@JohnTheMage,
I suspect only one mineral. Could be copper or something else green. Man, Eng....
JohnTheMage

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 05:29 am
@dalehileman,
Eng?
farmerman

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 09:52 am
@JohnTheMage,
looks like a sparry limestone? Or are the cleavage planes only in 2 directions? That would make it a high metamorphic or igneous rock.(2 directions=feldspar, 3 directions= calcite)

We cant really see the cleavages on the white minerals. If itd be limestone, there would be 3 distinct cleavage planes on each phenocryst. Theres definately a bnd of quartz qt the bottom (its the darker "milky" section that really displys NO cleavage faces other thn q clqm shell breakge (we call this conchoidal fracture)

The blckish dots can be many things. Id start with a magnet nd see if they wont be attracted to the mgnet. Then scrape it on the bottom of an unglazed pottery bowl or piece of tile and see hqt color is left.
Then get back to us
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 11:01 am
@JohnTheMage,
Quote:
Eng?
John, that's how I 'mem't

Man as an erstwhile hound I'm really impressed by your geo resps. Incidentally don't you also 'mem' a 'Eng'
farmerman

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 03:14 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
geo resps. Incidentally don't you also 'mem' a 'Eng'
and I thought I was the least unnerstood in the use of hizmajestey's linguage
dalehileman

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 04:57 pm
@farmerman,
Sorry Man. ... by your geometric responses. Incidentally do you not also remember someone whom I had abbreviated 'Eng'
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 05:19 pm
@dalehileman,
The shorten language asshole is making a move into Geology for more attention.

Please listen to Farmerman or Rosborne. In time, we may have more folks posting who we know have a good grasp of geology.

farmerman

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 05:39 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I dont think Dale poses any harm. Itsjust his way of communicating, I guess. Lotsa people used to give me **** about my typos but now mot folks can read my stuff without too many PMs
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 05:57 pm
@farmerman,
He confuses new posters all the time, especially when he is being cute on english language learning threads to save key strokes re typing. Now he is morphing to interest in rocks.
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 06:31 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Whatever, you will be seeing it. Enjoy people's names shortened and newbies such as John the Mage having to face seeing to see no clue, not getting it. He's done it to you already, plus whatever gobledegook he posts re the subject at hand.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 06:59 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
He confuses new posters all the time
Alas Osso, Alzie's
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 07:01 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
shorten language asshole
Not intentionally I assure you osso
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 07:03 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
whatever gobledegook he posts
Alas, some of the last stages of old age and Alzie's
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 07:26 pm
@dalehileman,
I don't buy your alzheimers yet, as you are still capable. You have been waving the alz flag for at least five years here. Instead of that, you fully engage as a needy passive aggressive person with attention need.

I'm from an alzheimer's family myself, know it when I see it, and will probably get it before you do.
roger

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2017 09:35 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I also have more familiarity with Alzheimer's than I would like, and I agree.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 01:20 am
@ossobucotemp,
As far as I recall, Dale has been a rockhound since ay 1. When he found out I was a geologist I just figured he was interested in "shop talk"

I dmit his shortening of words can be annoying so I just ignore those posts since they arent usually that important to me. I told him once about this little habit he has, but he seems to want to stick to it. SO, my conversations with him are usually limited.
Did he insult you? If thats the case then thats different. Thats just mean.

farmerman

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 01:26 am
@ossobucotemp,
Its kind of interesting , I had one relative who uffered from some sort of terminal dementia. Shed been in a bd accident when she was like 50 years old and he went through a windshield. When she was in her late 70's, she started having bouts of forgetfulness. Not so that shed confuse her car keys from a waffle, but she would have these bouts of aphasia which got progressively worse until she had to be cared -for and she hired a live in nurse.
She declined rapidly and , theres the similarity. Stories Ive heard about Alzheimers is that sufferer's decline relatively rapidly and they lose all connections with reality.

I dont see anyone here (except maybe gungasnake Wink ) who exhibits such a decline from reality.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 01:23 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
as you are still capable
Why thank you Osso. However, have recent.y learned that vocabulary is the last to go

Quote:
√needy passive aggressive person with attention need
Whaddya mean 'needy'

Quote:
In time, we may have more folks posting who we know have a good grasp of geology
Doubtless Osso tho mebbe with regard to Man & s'mothres I might'a said, '...even more...'
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 01:31 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
without too many PMs
Farm, is that like TATs

Quote:
I dont see anyone ...who exhibits such a decline from reality
Been accused tho
0 Replies