And pity 'tis 'tis true."
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 08:38 am
Be impeccable with your word.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 08:45 am
George, that just has to be a quote from Hamlet. Well, the dark prince was true to the end. <smile>

Hey, Joe. Absolutely. Of all the things that a person should do is be true to his word. If it is not possible, then no word should be spoken.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 08:54 am
Quite right. Our friend Polonius in Act II, scene iii.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 10:37 am
To the extent that we are untrue to ourselves, we remove ourselves from mental health.

My comment regarding Candide, Letty, was in response to Boomerang's comment. I realize now that he may have been referring to the use of the phrase, "the best of all possible worlds", as lyric in the musical (which I have not seen--I don't who is the "Martin" he referred to). I was referring to Voltaire's use of the phrase in the book, Candide. Does this answer your question?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 10:47 am
Indeed it does, JL.

Please do me a favor, artists and photographers.

Take a look at the paintings that col man was kind enough to put in the A2K gallery. I have forever been curious about these, and would like your responses. It seems that I cannot even find out about them on the web. Respond here, if you like or on my Thank You thread. The paintings are Hand Colored Gravure.

With love from Letty
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 12:33 pm
JL, I had to look up Candide.

From the bottom of my heart, dear. I apologize. <smile>

Black Is the Color of My True Love's Hair
Traditional

Black is the color of my true love's hair
His face so soft and wondrous fair
The purest eyes
and the strongest hands
I love the ground on where he stands
I love the ground on where he stands

Of my true love's hair
Of my true love's hair

Oh I love my lover
and where he goes
yes, I love the ground on where he goes
And still I hope
that the time will come
when he and I will be as one
when he and I will be as one

So black is the color of my true love's hair
Black is the color of my true love's hair.

Nina Simone.

I remember Jesse Stuart's The Thread That Runs so True, too.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 04:06 pm
Martin is one of the main characters in "Candide". He meets Candide in Surinam and sails all over the world with him. Martin retires to the garden with Dr. Pangloss, Candide and the gang.

Martin, the pessimest, represents the counter-point to Candide, the optimist.

The phrase "If this is then only possible world, then this is the best of all possible worlds" is met with two different responses from the two men.

Candide: All's for the best in this best of all possible worlds.

Martin: <sigh> I suppose you're right.

What I meant by my comment, Letty, is that this distinction has always been important to me. Some days, I'm Candide, and some days, I'm Martin.

For me, "Be true" would find me in the middle but favoring Martin a bit.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 04:18 pm
I don't really "get" JLNobody's replies to me either, to be true.

I was refering to the book.

But the musical is wonderful too.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 05:10 pm
boomer, not feeling well at all. Should you get the opportunity, would you look at the painting in the gallery Hand Colored Gravure? I just want some feedback.

Later.....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 05:16 pm
Letty, I'm sorry to say that I can't make much of them out.

Are they your work or just something you're trying to find out about?

You can email that photo to me if you want and I'll stick it in Photoshop for a closer look. ([email protected])
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 06:10 pm
I was afraid of that, boomer. I'm not much of a "pitcher" taker. The light was reflecting on the oils. The process is called intaglio. When I feel better, I will check out your link. I am just so appreciative of that young, hippy kid from Leeds doing for me, what I couldn't do.

And for those who care, I have always been true, on and off A2K.
0 Replies

val

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 05:31 am
Re: Be True. Be True. Be True
Letty
Being true is a valid moral rule. But it can collide with other moral rules. Then you have a choice to make.
Imagine you were in Germany, in the nazi period. Your son was hiding from the Gestapo in a secret shelter. Then, the Gestapo asks you if you know where your son is? Would you, in name of truth, betray your son? The moral obligation of protecting an human life is not more important than the moral obligation of being true?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 08:27 am
Val, I understand exactly what you are saying, but being true does not always mean telling the truth no matter what. For example, tomorrow is my birthday, and if you think I'll tell you the truth about my age....

Razz

Seriously, I take that theme to mean that one should not perpetually practice deception.

Good morning all.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 09:23 am
Aah, but Letty, as Jerome K. Jerome, British author once said: "It is always the best policy to speak the truth, unless of course you are an exceptionally good liar".

But to the more important issue, just under the wire for an October birthday - that's good - (my mother was born in October) - People born between October 26 and November 25 are Good organizers,honest and truthful, eloquent, dignified and lovers of home. Also strong willed and athletic. (I won't post the negative attributes Very Happy )

Oh, and I just read:

If your birthday is in October:
This will be a fabulous year for you - all the good Karma you created all year long will come back in your favor. But look out: In November expect a truckload of potato salad to be dumped on your lawn (at $3.99 a pound, who needs it?). Very Happy

Best wishes for a joyful, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, tomorrow.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 09:29 am
ah, dear Raggedy. Love your little observation. I think about my mother every time I look at the opal on my finger. She was an October baby, too.

Did you know that it's supposed to be bad luck to give an opal to someone if it isn't their birth stone?

I think about Saki's short story, "The Open Window" when I hear the words, "creative liar"...read it some time.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 09:45 am
I do, indeed, know about the Opal. And I'm inclined to believe it. When my Mom died, since my daughter had always admired her opal ring, I gave it to her, but warned her about the bad luck superstition. The first time she wore it, she lost it in the swimming pool. She came home in tears and called the pool office every day for two weeks. (I have an opal ring that I bought in Hawaii, but my daughter will not wear it. Very Happy )
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 10:00 am
You know, Raggedy. How we examine our system of beliefs and superstitions is a natural thing. Hawthorne is probably one of the most courageous writers of his time. The beginning of the novel, as told from the diary that the narrator found in the Customs' House, was a bit tedious, but a remarkable study in flashback technique.

Perhaps our own lives are a series of flashbacks and stories within stories. Have we been true? I think so.

Last night I rented Van Helsing and watched it to its conclusion. Good grief! a new twist on an old story.

Well, I have promises to keep, as Frost said so I look forward to more discussions here as an evaluation of our own lives, and the lives of others.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 02:57 pm
Letty, you say you are unwilling to reveal your age. I've seen photos of y ou as you are now. Whatever your age, it is a good age to be.

Boomerang, I'm sorry about the confusion. I havn't read Candide for decades, four to be exact, and forgot the name of the character, Martin. That's why I thought--silly me--you might have been referring to Bernstein's Candide, which I have never seen. I looked up Voltaire's book and found the passage the stuck with me: Pangloss has just recounted his suffering and near disasters to Candide. Candide says:
"'Well, my dear Pangloss...when you were hanged, dissected, whipped, and tugging at the oar, did you continue to think that everthing in this world happens for the best?' 'I have always abided by my first opinion,' answered Pangloss; 'for, after all, I am a philosopher, and it would not become me to retract my sentiments; especially as Leibnitz could not be in the wrong: and that pre-established harmony is the finest thing in the world....'"
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 03:10 pm
It's always nice to think that Voltaire was optimistic enough to believe in an enlightened monarchy.
0 Replies