X-Men (2000)

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2017 01:38 pm
From the vantage point of 17 years, and many sequels, I reflect on Bryan Singer's original 2000 X-Men film with genuine sadness: the recent film Logan isn't what an X-Men film should be, and moreover the past 17 year franchise hasn't been defined as a story about a group of characters, but just about Wolverine.

In 2000, the first X-Men film was dark and gritty, but charismatically so. Xavier and Wolverine were the protagonists, but so was Rogue (and Wolverine's bias in the 2000 film made story-sense, because of his link to Rogue).
Subsequent to the 2000 film, it seems that the X-Men series has been one of consistent decline, from the less charismatic X-2, to the pointless X-Men Origins Wolverine, to the dull and boring Days of Future Past.

Should the X-Men series be rebooted?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,935 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Krumple

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2017 02:11 pm
@Thomas33,
Wow Thomas a question that is down to Earth, are you feeling okay?

Reboot no.

I think the success of Dead Pool tossed a monkey wrench in the Xmen future. It held true to a comic book with snappy one liners and silliness that came across well on screen.

If the second Dead Pool movie does as well, it will kill The Xmen series. Those films have lost the comic feel they need.

I haven't seen Logan yet but from the trailer it seems like typical wolverine to take on the protector role for a young girl. Its like a revisit to his Rogue relationship.
Thomas33

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2017 02:31 pm
@Krumple,
I understand. Deadpool does seem a breath of fresh air compared to the main continuity (though I'm not a Deadpool fan), because of just how dominant Wolverine has been depicted for the past 17 years.
I think that the error of the X-Men series was not to build off of the original 2000 movie; instead of X-2 building on the arc of Rogue and Wolverine as friends, and then the franchise revolving around that friendship, movie after movie after the 2000 film went completely off course, and just became utterly random.

The Wolverine spin-off trilogy encapsulates everything wrong with the X-Men series, while Days of Future Past just had Rogue in a cameo role, and was just about making Wolverine look stronger and better than every other character.

It's just a shame, that after 17 years the original 2000 film still holds up to scrutiny, when in theory many sequels by now should've made that original film irrelevant.
0 Replies