What did YOU think of Moulin Rouge?

glitterbag

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 02:32 pm
Ben, I really don't know how the sound was done. I don't think much of Madonna's music so I'm not in a good position to judge her. I just know that her voice in the movie didn't have as much strength as the relative unknown that I saw during a live performance in Baltimore. I've never seen Madonna live, don't care to, I find her music kind of tedious. I did like her version of "Fever" even though Peggy Lee's version is better. Come to think about it, Peggy Lee seemed to have more body in her voice than Madonna. And I'm not saying she can't sing, I just don't like the material she chooses. But then again, listening to Celine Dion is like fingernails on a blackboard for me. Go figure.
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 02:37 pm
obviously that type of music is not your thing... I can understand, I am not partial to it either. I have just unfortunately heard most of Madonna's musical range due to a friend who loved her to death (and probably still does) that I used to work with. If he got near the stereo, it was Madonna.
She is pretty boring to me.

Funny to hear someone say that Peggy Lee has more body in her voice than someone else. I never think of her like that.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 02:53 pm
Well, maybe I'm wrong or can't properly describe it. It's just seems as if her voice is a little thin compared to some others. Peggy Lee sang with restraint, but she could really soar from time to time. But I really need to leave Madonna alone, because I haven't heard all of her music, and I really can't take the chance of listening to all of it and finding out I was right after all. Life is too short.

Bonnie Raitt doesn't have a very powerful voice but I find her very interesting to listen to. I heard that she toured for a while with Lyle Lovett and I really would have liked to see that. You might get the idea I like country music, but actually I get very ansty if I have to listen to too much of it (and with some artists, that could be as little as 5 notes). It's not in my top ten, BUT, I have finally gotten old enough to appreciate music you can't really dance to. The last few live acts I've seen at the Ram's Head in Annapolis were: WAR; Saffire-the Uppity Blues Woman; Doctor John; The Commitments (see the movie, don't bother checking this one out, even though they have about 2 or 3 of the original group); The Blind Boys of Alabama; and last but not least, Leon Redbone. The Manhattan Transfer is coming in March for two night and they are already sold out. Joe Cocker is coming to the Ramshead in Baltimore, but it's standing room only (the whole place).
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 03:37 am
you are motivated!
I get to concerts these days and get annoyed with being smoked on and pushed... but I guess, if I think about it, the last few concerts I went to were not like that at all. Just a left over horror from being a teenager.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 10:04 am
Ben, I don't think I'm really motivated, I want to see Cocker, but won't because there will be no place to sit down. I don't know how many young fans he has, the young people don't seem to mind standing. I had to stand in 97 to watch a Stone's concert but the last time they came 2002-03???), the part of the audience I sat with actually sat in their seats. I won't go to a smoky place, too hard on the throat. Since I quit smoking 28 years ago, it seems silly to inhale other people's smoke. However, the Rams Head in Baltimore may not allow smoking. Most restaurants and bars in Maryland are smoke free, and those that aren't at least have a set aside area for smokers.
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 10:09 am
I don't like standing either anymore. Especially if it is not so squashed that you are kind of held up by the crowd... :wink:
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 05:00 pm
No fan of Moulin Rouge here, and I happen to like musicals (grew up on em, as a child Gene Kelly was my favorite actor).
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 12:39 am
that is the funny thing isn't it?
I was an all singing, dancing kid who loved the old musicals and the more recent one's just turn my stomach. I find the embarressing or something. They lack a certain style.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 02:24 pm
"Moulin Rouge" doesn't lack style -- for many it has too much style. It's uniquely Baz Luhrman's style. It can't overshadow "Singin' in the Rain," "The Bandwagon," "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers," to name a few but it has it's place certainly for reviving an interest in movie musicals. The only other recent attempt I can recall (besides "Chicago" which is the real winner) is "The Fantasticks" which just didn't come off as a film. Actually, the MGM mold as a "style" failed many more times than it succeeded. It's the big musicals of the 50's, 60's and early 70's that took advantage of the wide screen and stereo sound that excel, like "West Side Story" and "Oliver!" -- there's barely a dud in any of them until it hit the wall with "A Chorus Line," a lackluster and ponderous effort by no less than Richard Attenborough. He makes a better dinosaur scientist than a maker of musicals.

Still, even the lamest of the MGM and sometimes 10th Century Fox musicals are a guilty pleasure and I'll likely be there when TCM screens them. VOOM recently showed a hi-def presentation of "The Music Man" in the 16:9 format and I did miss the Panavision scale but it was still like seeing the film again for the first time.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 02:30 pm
[quote="Lightwizard10th Century Fox musicals [/quote]

Is that a typo or are you being sly?
0 Replies

lexi199

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 04:48 pm
I liked mulan rough
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 04:43 am
is that a typo too?

I understand Baz's style - and yes, he does well with his style... it just goes over the top too much sometimes (for me). Is is a bit lurid for me sometimes. Like seeing internal organs technicolour. Pulsing.

Don't get me wrong I love colour...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 10:14 am
Acquiunk wrote:
[quote="Lightwizard10th Century Fox musicals

Is that a typo or are you being sly?[/quote]

:wink:

MGM began the new era of musicals in wide screen with films like "There's Always Fair Weather."
0 Replies