Which do you think is better: Scream or Fellowship of the Ring?

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2017 07:27 pm
Scream is a great cross between a cultural and philosophical movie, possibly being about the link between violence and spirituality, and of course The Fellowship of the Ring is the ultimate fantasy blockbuster.

In terms of the LotR trilogy, I don't think any of the sequels match the quality of Fellowship of the Ring; neither of the sequels continue the subtlety and balance of Jackson's first film, and therefore I tend to ignore the sequels.

Of Fellowship of the Ring and Scream, which do you think has the deeper social intelligence, and sense of self-awareness?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,248 • Replies: 16
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2017 05:05 am
@Thomas33,
Actually, Scream is a cross between a pile of **** and a load of old bollocks. Of course The Lord Of Rings films are better, but so is Chipmunks 2 The Squeakquel.
Thomas33

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2017 08:01 am
@izzythepush,
I think Scream is a very spiritual film; so is Fellowship of the Ring, only the difference being that the former's perspective on spirituality is more relevant. Fellowship's spirituality is its external capitalist identity, whereas Scream's basis of spirituality is internal, the point that in order to discern its use of spirituality is to undermine the capitalist order.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2017 09:30 am
@Thomas33,
Toyota wins....
0 Replies

Thomas33

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2017 09:32 am
@Thomas33,
Just to clarify the previous post: capitalist society can tolerate audiences dissecting Fellowship of the Ring, but it can't tolerate Scream being analysed. This isn't necessarily because Scream is anti-status quo (as in anti-capitalism and anti-nationalism), but because the plot and movie-making of Scream simply means an analysis that would require physical behaviours consequential to capitalist society.

At its heart, Scream is perhaps a meaning of spirituality of multiple anti's: by saying this, I specifically mean that the characters, the use of nature and the types of settings of Scream (especially the Stu Macher house, with its white kitchen and all of its red and brown interiors) are in fact an impressively purposeful self-ability to violate.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2017 09:50 am
@Thomas33,
Thomas33 wrote:

I think Scream is a very spiritual film

Is it bollocks. It's a rather feeble attempt to satirise the genre.
Thomas33

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2017 09:59 am
@izzythepush,
It is a satire of the horror genre, but that satire is also spiritual. Just the fact that the houses of Scream are all isolated and surrounded by an abundance of nature in itself speaks of Scream having spiritual design.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2017 10:11 am
@Thomas33,
That's just the gothic tradition. I didn't find it remotely spiritual. You like it fair enough, but don't big it up with a load of stuff that isn't there. It is what it is, a rather mediocre horror film that pats itself on the back way too much.
Thomas33

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2017 10:51 am
@izzythepush,
What about Gale Weathers, and Dewey Riley? They don't seem to fit the pattern of horror movies.

I think it's meaningful that the last house of the movie is the design that it is, and that trees and forests are also all over the place in Scream.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2017 11:00 am
@Thomas33,
I've seen it once, quite a while ago, and believe me I do not want to see it again. Don't waste your time trying to convince people who aren't interested of some deep meaning only you appear to comprehend.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2017 05:18 am
@izzythepush,
Scream is a rather dull Hollywood like production...a cliché about clichés on horror genre without an inch of fun. I quite regret seeing it.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2017 05:52 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Agreed.
0 Replies

Thomas33

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2017 06:13 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Scream is the furthest thing from dull. In fact, I'd say Scream is superior to most Best Picture Oscar winners.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2017 06:19 am
@Thomas33,
Clearly you have no taste.
Thomas33

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2017 06:49 am
@izzythepush,
Scream is partly void of culture, which is its strength.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2017 10:56 am
@Thomas33,
It's dull and predictable, but I can see why a stupid person would like it.
Thomas33

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2017 11:34 am
@izzythepush,
If the world's population didn't possess any nationalist and capitalist psychology, Scream would still be relevant - especially because of the third act, in the Stu Macher house.
0 Replies