Brazilian football stars heading for West Yorkshire

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 03:26 pm
I love this story! It has all the elements of a Hollywood fairy tale - a middle-aged, cigarette smoking, football genius doctor, an owner/manager with a 21 year plan to reach the top of the English football league - what more could a producer want to make a blockbuster!

For reference, Garforth Town are in the Northern Counties (East) Division One, which is a mere 9 divisions below the Premiership, where they ccould do battle with the likes of Manchester Utd and Arsenal. Their current peers are the likes of Retford Utd and Pontefract Collieries. Football really is a sport where dreams can come true.

But do you agree that it's a wise move for Socrates et al?

Samba stars to join Garforth Town

In one of the most unlikely moves in recent times Brazilian legends Socrates and Careca have agreed a deal with Yorkshire non-League team Garforth Town.
The majestic pair have long since retired but the lure of a spell in the Northern Counties East League has proved too much for them.

Careca, 44, and Socrates, 50, could also be joined by former international team-mate Zico, who is another being lined up by the club.

Garforth owner and manager Simon Clifford said: "I put out a few feelers and Socrates said he would be interested. He's a pretty principled guy and isn't interested in the money - which is just as well because we're not paying him.

"I'm told he's still in good shape, although he's still smoking. I'm pretty strict on discipline and smoking but I guess I can make an exception for him.

"Careca's also coming for next season and Zico is going to try his best."

Clifford has built up a string of contacts in Brazil through his Socatots coaching schools.

And his masterplan is to bring Garforth into the Premiership by 2025 and also tried to snap up 1994 World Cup winners Bebeto and Romario.

Socrates, who joins former England international Lee Sharpe at the club, skippered Brazil at two World Cups and was unquestionably one of the greatest players of his generation.

He has signed a one-month deal with the club and is expected to make his debut against Tadcaster Albion in front of a capacity 3,000 home crowd at Garforth - a far cry from playing in front of 200,000 at the Maracana in Rio de Janeiro.

Socrates - not surprisingly - has a reputation as a deep thinker with strong views not only on football but society in general.

Quite what he will make of Garforth - a former pit village in the heartland of West Yorkshire - remains to be seen.

A doctor by profession, his new team-mates will include a gardener and an electrician.

Source from the BBC
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 857 • Replies: 0
No top replies