auto accident in pa, help on settlement amount

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 07:30 pm
hey im a 19 year old college student and i was involved in a accident with a lumber truck where i sufferered a severe cut on my knee and a broken wrist. they put a plate in my wrist and serious scarring was left on my forearm and knee( about 5 inches in length for both) and ive been in physical therapy for my hand for about 2 month now. the driver of the truck argued his ticket for not yielding and lost in court. i was informed that the drivers insurance company has a $1,000,000 policy and that i am covered by 300,000 by my own insurance. the question i have are as follows:

can anybody put a dollar amount or range on this. even a broad range would be appreciated.

do you think its a good idea for me to visit a plastic surgeon about scar removal. would that boost up my case amount?

do lawyers usually sue the company of the at fault driver AND my insurance company for money and,

how much do factors such as the fact that i was i couldn't return to school, plans to play on my schools football team, etc effect a settlement amount.
i apologize for taking up so much space but any feedback would be appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,333 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 08:21 pm
All I can say is PA is "No Fault". I'll leave details to experts.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 08:37 am
Okay, so basically what you are asking for is free legal advice, which is against this website's Terms of Service.

So I will only answer the question regarding who is sued as that is strictly informational in nature - your lawyer will sue the lumber company who will then inform their insurance company of the suit. The lumber company's insurance company will then assign an attorney to handle the claim (that is a part of the coverage that the lumber company has paid for). Your lawyer might also sue the driver himself as the driver has his own personal coverage. If there are any questions about defects in the truck, Ford Motor Company or whoever manufactured the truck might also be brought in.

This does not mean that you get money from anyone. Now, go to a lawyer and pay for the answers to the remaining questions; these kinds of things are stock in trade and an attorney would have to do research, and it's not free.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 08:39 am
jespah: Is that the procedure in a no-fault state?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 09:17 am
Yep, or at least that's what's done in MA and NY.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 10:29 am
there are also factors like were both parties in the course of their employment ...

definitely talk to a lawyer
0 Replies

abeezy22

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 10:54 am
i have a lawyer already on it already but as you know its a long waiting process. so i was just curious.
0 Replies

abeezy22

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 12:40 pm
what about my other question, do factors such as school and my plans play a big part in settlement amounts?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 01:38 pm
That's also a request for legal advice. Sorry, but we can't give it here, it's against this site's Terms of Service. Your attorney is in the best position to give you the answers to these questions.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 03:13 pm
abeezy22: It's not just that you're asking us for legal advice, you're asking us questions that we have no way of answering. For instance, the amount of a potential settlement is contingent on a wide number of factors, such as the nature and extent of your injuries, the degree of fault of the other driver, the jurisdiction in which you might bring suit, the identity of the judge who is assigned the case, etc. These are all questions that a competent, local plaintiff's attorney can answer, but we cannot.

I hope you have a full and swift recovery from your injuries, and I wish you good luck with your insurance claim.
0 Replies

abeezy22

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 07:09 pm
thanks guys
0 Replies