2 Prisoners in one jail cell

Sabron

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 07:02 am
This is a poll for a research I'm doing at the moment, just want to see what the people here think about the subject.

Do you think it should be a possibility to put 2 prisoners into one jail cell, provided that both are only "small" criminals (so no pathological murderers, and both will be released within months)?
And, if you agree with this system, do you think that the prisoners should be left the choice, or that it should be decided for them?

Thank you for your reply.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,394 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 07:05 am
I realize that there are fiscal concerns, but, IMO each prisoner should have his own cell. Prison life is stressful enough that dealing with another human being in a tiny closed in space, to me, not very practical, or positive.
0 Replies

Justthefax

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 07:11 am
You may be missing a poll question.

YES, and the decision is up to the admistration of the prision.

I vote YES, there can be more than one to a cell, and the prisioner does not have a choice in the matter.
0 Replies

Sabron

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 07:17 am
My bad... didn't click the "Add option" button. Could a moderator please add a third option: "Yes, and the prisoner should not have a say in the matter."
Thanks!
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 10:21 am
Justthefax wrote:
You may be missing a poll question.

YES, and the decision is up to the admistration of the prision.

I vote YES, there can be more than one to a cell, and the prisioner does not have a choice in the matter.

Amen! If they did something bad enough to be sent to jail all rights should end until they have served their time.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 10:49 am
Here in Kansas @ EDCF general pop is 2 to a cell.
Only in seg units are they 1 to a cell.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 11:43 am
The majority of prisoners in the UK share cells, except for sex offenders and violent prisoners, and those in low security open prisons.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 03:48 pm
The purpose of prison is to rehabilitate. If you throw someone into a cage with a guy who beats their ass everyday, the rehabilitation will be hindered. So prisoners should have their own cage.
0 Replies

Justthefax

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 05:22 pm
Child of Light,

The prisoner who is beating the other prisoner needs to be put in the hole. However non-violent prisoners should not be given private rooms.

They are there for punishment. Why give them luxury.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 05:54 pm
Quote:
They are there for punishment. Why give them luxury.

Who's talking luxury? A tiny space with bars on one side, an open toilet and little privacy is not MY idea of luxury. I just think that it is better for all concerned, including the prison administration, for people to have their own little bit of space.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 05:54 pm
They should not be given luxury, but you have to remember, they will be released back into the wild one day.
0 Replies

clytsz

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 09:28 am
Phoenix32890

I can't agree with you anymore.I have heard such a story that a innocent good person ,who was wrongly put in the jail,learned to be a thief in the prison from his partner.
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 09:43 am
clytsz wrote:
Phoenix32890

I can't agree with you anymore.I have heard such a story that a innocent good person ,who was wrongly put in the jail,learned to be a thief in the prison from his partner.

Everyone in prison is innocent if you listen to them. If he was a good person he wouldn't of ended up becoming a thief regardless of his partner. It seems that the inmates have more rights than the victims of the crimes and it needs to stop, no more single rooms with cable tv etc. They need to pay not play. I do agree that they are also there to learn to "be released back into the wild" but why make it like camp, or a home away from home? Make them work to help pay for their meals. Make it like the real world the harder that you work the more little benefits that you get.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 09:51 am
cannistershot wrote:
Make them work to help pay for their meals. Make it like the real world the harder that you work the more little benefits that you get.

I absolutely agree. Prisoners need to work for their keep. There is something absurd about taxpayers having to pay for people who have broken the law. I realize that the what the convicts do would never cover the cost of their incarceration, but, IMO, every little bit helps.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 10:02 am
Most convicts at EDOC had jobs unless they were in seg. units...I advise anyone who cares to, to apply for a visitors pass at your state prison to see and experience how the convicted do live...must remember they are there AS punishment not FOR punishment..we are a civilized society :-)...
0 Replies

clytsz

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 10:03 am
cannistershot

According to what you say,I think it is not humanism at all.
First,nobody want to be a bad guy unless he was forced by his living conditions or other complicated relations.

Second,the criminal law's legislative original purpose is not only to punish them but also to educate them in order to protect other citizens.
Third,these prisoners like us ,have parents and relatives.There are still not a few persons loving them,concerning about their daily life ,hoping to be together happily after them released.

Fourth,work in the prison may not work sometimes.Not all criminals do not know "to gain ,to pay".On the contrary, watching tv, reading news and books,some relax like these ,may help them to find their way.

Last but not at least, we should give them an opportunity to regret and a favorable environment to change themselves into better guys.
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 11:46 am
clytsz wrote:
cannistershot

According to what you say,I think it is not humanism at all.
First,nobody want to be a bad guy unless he was forced by his living conditions or other complicated relations.

Second,the criminal law's legislative original purpose is not only to punish them but also to educate them in order to protect other citizens.
Third,these prisoners like us ,have parents and relatives.There are still not a few persons loving them,concerning about their daily life ,hoping to be together happily after them released.

Fourth,work in the prison may not work sometimes.Not all criminals do not know "to gain ,to pay".On the contrary, watching tv, reading news and books,some relax like these ,may help them to find their way.

Last but not at least, we should give them an opportunity to regret and a favorable environment to change themselves into better guys.

#1 In some cases yes people steal bread because they are hungry etc. But most of the time no they are simply bad or stupid people.
#2 I agree but why let them live better than the taxpayers who are footing the bill?
#3 I agree with this also I have 2 realitives in jail, one who is stupid and one who is mean. I still love them but again why should they have a better life than most Americans when they are criminals.
#4 So if I'm lazy and want to read all day I should just rob your house?
#5???? what
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 11:47 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
cannistershot wrote:
Make them work to help pay for their meals. Make it like the real world the harder that you work the more little benefits that you get.

I absolutely agree. Prisoners need to work for their keep. There is something absurd about taxpayers having to pay for people who have broken the law. I realize that the what the convicts do would never cover the cost of their incarceration, but, IMO, every little bit helps.

Thank you!
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 11:57 am
willow_tl wrote:
Most convicts at EDOC had jobs unless they were in seg. units...I advise anyone who cares to, to apply for a visitors pass at your state prison to see and experience how the convicted do live...must remember they are there AS punishment not FOR punishment..we are a civilized society :-)...

Good point. I know that my uncle (the stupid one) is in state prison and does work for a couple of dollars an hour, cutting grass on the roadsides etc. My other realitive (the mean one) Sits on his butt reads and watches tv all day.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 08:28 am
Re: 2 Prisoners in one jail cell
Sabron wrote:
This is a poll for a research I'm doing at the moment, just want to see what the people here think about the subject.

Do you think it should be a possibility to put 2 prisoners into one jail cell, provided that both are only "small" criminals (so no pathological murderers, and both will be released within months)?
And, if you agree with this system, do you think that the prisoners should be left the choice, or that it should be decided for them?

Thank you for your reply.

Since you stipulate that they are only"small criminals" it would make far more sense to put them in billet style accomodation say twenty men to a billet.

Dangerous criminals should be housed separately for the protection of other people.
0 Replies