Science and Technology always disproving religion.

richie

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 05:53 am
Everytime I watch the history channel I see the remains and the stories of great empires, and theirs always a story behind there success, and there is always a reason for the loyalty and pride of there people. The fact that they had hope and pride in there beliefs gave them a happiness that couldnt be described by many men/women today. As man evolves so does science and technology and new ways to desbelief and disprove the faiths that society holds so dear to them. Why is it that people are so involved in solving ideas that cant be solved, and that nobody will ever be able to substantiate? It should be clear to science and technology that every time the people within their walls are able to prove that an occurence is only fiction that they are so eager to tell the world and hurt the hearts of so many people. Its all psychological and the people dedicated to disproving faith and destroying the bonds that bring people together in our society are doing it for either there own satisfaction or gain pride for science and technology. Faith is one thing that we as people hold up strong and with pride and let it be known that it will not be taken away from us without some sort of a fight. Their is one thing religion needs in my opinion and thats a strong defence. However it should not be religion to make this defence, it should be powers which control the society which we live in such as the government and politicians. If we strive to place barriers on these scientists and philosophists to keep our society strong, this will in turn bring more love and happiness to the world which we truly need.

"where loosing this world love, and it looks like a sinnin wont end" - Bone Thugs and Harmony.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,766 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Terry

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 01:40 pm
ritchie, let me get this straight: Your faith is so pitifully weak that it would shrivel up in the light of truth, so you want the government to forbid any scientific research or philosophical ideas that might threaten your belief in comforting lies?

Did it ever occur to you that scientists find satisfaction in discovering the truth for its own sake, and do not take pleasure in destroying anyone's faith? I'm sorry that you are afraid of the truth, but you might find that once you give up believing in fairytales and understand the universe as it really is, it would not be nearly as scary as being at the mercy of the vengeful gods of most religions.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 01:43 pm
What Terry said!
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 03:32 pm
This is exactly the conundrum facing the youth of today: whether to literally believe the church's myths and symbols and reject science or totally reject the church. Their choice is seeminly between fundamentalism and atheism, and neither choice is adequate. Most choose to leave the church, and that is why the pews seem so full of elderly people.

Richie is luck to live in this modern age where many of the bigger religious misconceptions have already been busted by science and accepted by the church, e.g. geocentrism, a world view that was central to church dogma just a few hundred years ago, and any refutation of which caused people to be tortured to death by the church.

Bear in mind, Richie, that the most deeply spiritual people are the ones who refuse to accept myths in the literal sense nor restrict the spiritual to literalism, but instead serch for the underlying and metaphorical meaning of the myth.

Fundamentalists, atheists, and agnostics are closely related because they can't get past the literal.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 05:08 pm
coluber2001 wrote:
This is exactly the conundrum facing the youth of today: whether to literally believe the church's myths and symbols and reject science or totally reject the church. Their choice is seeminly between fundamentalism and atheism...

Bullshyt. There is always agnosticism.

Quote:
...and neither choice is adequate.

That I agree with completely...which is why I pointed out that there are more than just those two choices.

Quote:
Most choose to leave the church, and that is why the pews seem so full of elderly people.

Quote:
Fundamentalists, atheists, and agnostics are closely related because they can't get past the literal.

The inclusion of agnostics in that sentence was gratuitous, self-serving, and illogical.

For the record, fundamentalists and atheists are much closer to what you are spouting...than to agnosticism.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 12:00 am
What Coluber said...especially
"Fundamentalists, atheists, and agnostics are closely related because they can't get past the literal."

Also what Terry said.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 02:00 am
There are plenty of people who find no major difficulties in reconciling scientific fact with religious belief. Many of the world's most famous scientific investigatots have definitely not been atheists. As they say in all the 12-step programs, you have to find the God of your own understanding. Or, like Frank, one always has the option of concluding that it is impossible to either prove or disprove the existence of a higher (divine) power and opting for agnosticism.

But, from the innumerable grammatical and spelling errors in the original post, I would conclude that the original poster is quite young and that it will take quite a while ebfore he/she can come to any reasoned conclusions. The problem right now is a loss of childish faith. This loss can be the begining of an adult understanding that "there's more in heaven and earth than is dreamt of in your philosophy, Haratio."
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 02:03 am
JLNobody wrote:
What Coluber said...especially
"Fundamentalists, atheists, and agnostics are closely related because they can't get past the literal."

Also what Terry said.

Nice try, JL.

But...since you are a "believer"...I can understand you're wanting to lump agnostics with other believers.

Open your eyes, for once. It won't hurt!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 12:48 pm
Nicer try, Frank. You call me a "believer," I assume because I am an atheist. But you resist my efforts to explain my kind of atheism. Remember, I do not BELIEVE in a no-god and worship him. I let myself be labeled "atheist" because to me the idea of a personal diety is totally without meaningful value. I don't understand it. I think I know what believers mean by it. As a child I shared that belief, more or less. But when I remember that state of mind (belief) now it makes no sense, logically or empirically to me.
YOU, on the other hand, have always argued that since you have no "unambiguous" evidence for or against the theistic thesis, you call yourself an "agnostic", meaning one who does not know--either way. But that also means that you are UNDECIDED, and that indecision suggests that you are closer to being a believer than I am.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
You never fail to give pleasure to your fellow A2Kers.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 01:16 pm
Richie seems to be a young, sensitive person who was probably brought up with a strongly literal religious faith. I see no reason why we should jump down his throat and attack him. How does that help?

I was addressing him when I said that there were seemingly two choices, literal fundamentalism and atheism; it would seem that this is the way he looks at things. I wanted him to know that religious myths(metaphors) and symbols don't have to be taken literally, that they can be viewed as standing for the various transformations and subjective experiences that occur in our lives.

An enlightened member going by the name of Kuvasz interpreted "That art thou" as "that divinity which you seek outside, and which you first become aware of because you recognize it outside, is actually your innermost being."

I can't say it any better than that, and I hope it's of some use here.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 02:53 pm
Richie~

Faith does not require that it be defended by government. On the contrary, I see no good ever coming of church and state getting in bed together.

And if our faith cannot survive the advances of science and technology, then we have some serious soul-searching to do. All theology is "faith seeking understanding," a constant continuous search. When faith is satisfied that it has all the answers, then it is no longer a virtue.

Hang in there, brother.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 03:18 pm
I agree,Coluber. It seems to me that we can helpfully advise young people to study religion as metaphorical clues to a view of life that transcends the practical and temporal. There IS wisdom to be mined from the mythologies of most world religions. We can also advise them to study philosophy because of its requirement of high standards of plausibility, and that they study science because of its high standards of proof and falsifiability. But most important of all, we must advise them against the pittfalls of all forms of literalism or fundamentalism, the mental posture of the unreflective.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 03:27 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Nicer try, Frank. You call me a "believer," I assume because I am an atheist.

I call you a "believer" ... because you often talk about the things you believe...and you actually use the word "believe" when doing so.

Quote:
But you resist my efforts to explain my kind of atheism.

I have NEVER resisted your efforts to do anything.

Quote:
Remember, I do not BELIEVE in a no-god and worship him. I let myself be labeled "atheist" because to me the idea of a personal diety is totally without meaningful value. I don't understand it. I think I know what believers mean by it.

Well...you can apply the word "believers" ONLY to people who "believe" in a God or who worship a God or a no-God...but if you simply open your mind...you will easily be able to see that all indications suggest that ANYONE WHO AVERS THAT HE/SHE KNOWS THE TRUE NATURE OF REALITY...is indulging in belief.

You often indicate that you KNOW the true nature of REALITY.

My guess is that you don't.

I have never seen you offer a single item of evidence that you do.

When (IF) you ever do...we will discuss it.

Until then...you are a believer every bit as much as someone like Jerry Falwell is a believer. You just "believe" in other things from the ones Jerry "believes" in.

Quote:
YOU, on the other hand, have always argued that since you have no "unambiguous" evidence for or against the theistic thesis, you call yourself an "agnostic", meaning one who does not know--either way. But that also means that you are UNDECIDED, and that indecision suggests that you are closer to being a believer than I am.

No it doesn't.

And the fact is that your thesis here is absolutely wrong.

Not only do I suggest I see no evidence for or against the theistic thesis that insists there is a God...I also (and just as frequently) suggest I see no evidence for or against the atheistic thesis that insists there are no gods.

I am not closer to theism than I am to atheism...and I am not closer to atheism than I am to theism...no matter how much you want that to be the case.

If you want to be an atheist...be an atheist. And if you atheism stops at simply saying you do not "believe" in gods...fine. We are shoulder to shoulder on that. But if you, as do so many atheists, want to insist there are no gods...then that is a belief.

Either way...YOU HAVE OFTEN EXPRESSED BELIEFS about REALITY...and that makes you a believer.

Quote:

Good. Enjoying this forum is part of its purpose.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 03:30 pm
Behave, Frank.
I have a sidewalk and I'm not afraid to use it.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 04:28 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
JLNobody wrote:
Nicer try, Frank. You call me a "believer," I assume because I am an atheist.

I call you a "believer" ... because you often talk about the things you believe...and you actually use the word "believe" when doing so.
Quote:

I don't remember JL ever saying that he knew the true nature of reality. I think he means that our true nature is beyond knowing and being is the best we can hope for, or maybe I'm just projecting my own understanding. It's something like Alan Watts said about not being able to see our own eyes, but still being able to see. E. M. Forster said that he didn't believe in belief. Some people take that as cynicism, but it makes good sense to me.

Well...you can apply the word "believers" ONLY to people who "believe" in a God or who worship a God or a no-God...but if you simply open your mind...you will easily be able to see that all indications suggest that ANYONE WHO AVERS THAT HE/SHE KNOWS THE TRUE NATURE OF REALITY...is indulging in belief.

You often indicate that you KNOW the true nature of REALITY.

My guess is that you don't.

I have never seen you offer a single item of evidence that you do.

When (IF) you ever do...we will discuss it.

Until then...you are a believer every bit as much as someone like Jerry Falwell is a believer. You just "believe" in other things from the ones Jerry "believes" in.

Quote:

No it doesn't.

And the fact is that your thesis here is absolutely wrong.

Not only do I suggest I see no evidence for or against the theistic thesis that insists there is a God...I also (and just as frequently) suggest I see no evidence for or against the atheistic thesis that insists there are no gods.

I am not closer to theism than I am to atheism...and I am not closer to atheism than I am to theism...no matter how much you want that to be the case.

If you want to be an atheist...be an atheist. And if you atheism stops at simply saying you do not "believe" in gods...fine. We are shoulder to shoulder on that. But if you, as do so many atheists, want to insist there are no gods...then that is a belief.

Either way...YOU HAVE OFTEN EXPRESSED BELIEFS about REALITY...and that makes you a believer.

Quote:

Good. Enjoying this forum is part of its purpose.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 04:57 pm
George wrote:
Behave, Frank.
I have a sidewalk and I'm not afraid to use it.

Good one, George!

But the sidewalk that blocked my fall the other night was more than enough sidewalk for me, thank you.

I have never seen a shiner like the one I have. It looks like I was fed through a meat grinder.

I am beginning to have suspicions about the "aid" Blatham administered while I was down and out. He claims he was slapping me to try to get me to regain consciousness...but I am beginning to suspect he was using a closed fist! :wink:
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 04:59 pm
Coluber...I truly was unable to understand you last post. You apparently didn't get the quote thingy working properly.

If you want a response...please clean it up and re-post it.

I will respond.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 06:34 pm
Frank, I hope you did not receive an eye injury. You probably did have a concussion, having been unconscious. Sober up, man.
Coluber did mismanage the quote system. I've never figured it out, which is why I simply use my "edit" system (i.e., "cut" and "paste")
But Coluber does understand my comments about Reality. I never say that I understand its nature in the same sense that I understand its observable manifestations; it's not about "knowledge" has you apply it to me. My relation to "reality" is the same as yours, except that I am pleased to experience it more immediately--as my true nature. But I assure you, my friend, that you have no idea what that means. That's seen clearly in your statement:
"You often indicate that you KNOW the true nature of REALITY."
Your use of "know" is so off the mark with regard to what I, Coluber and Tywvel have been saying that it's not even wrong. We do not claim to have a theoretical knowledge of reality that you lack; we have--or at least try to have--a relationship with Reality that is totally alien to your perspective. Before you attack what I am saying please re-read what we've been saying with an open mind. But I'm sorry to "know" that this is very unlikely.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 06:43 pm
I really mangled up that quote thing. I still haven't figured it out. Usually I press the quote of a post and then delete what I don't want. I have no idea how to insert multiple quotes in a single post. I also tried to post an outside quote once, but that didn't work either.

By the way, whatever happened to richie?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 03:39 am
JLNobody wrote:
Frank, I hope you did not receive an eye injury. You probably did have a concussion, having been unconscious. Sober up, man.
Coluber did mismanage the quote system. I've never figured it out, which is why I simply use my "edit" system (i.e., "cut" and "paste")
But Coluber does understand my comments about Reality. I never say that I understand its nature in the same sense that I understand its observable manifestations; it's not about "knowledge" has you apply it to me. My relation to "reality" is the same as yours, except that I am pleased to experience it more immediately--as my true nature. But I assure you, my friend, that you have no idea what that means. That's seen clearly in your statement:
"You often indicate that you KNOW the true nature of REALITY."
Your use of "know" is so off the mark with regard to what I, Coluber and Tywvel have been saying that it's not even wrong. We do not claim to have a theoretical knowledge of reality that you lack; we have--or at least try to have--a relationship with Reality that is totally alien to your perspective. Before you attack what I am saying please re-read what we've been saying with an open mind. But I'm sorry to "know" that this is very unlikely.

Yeah...that's what I said: You are a "believer."

And like all "believers"...you simply cannot get yourself to acknowledge that your beliefs are merely guesses about the unknown that you want to tout to the rest of the world as fact...as some kind of "special" knowledge.

But what the hell...if you want to kid yourself...go for it.

The only reason I comment on it is because you insist of trying to peddle your belief system as knowledge here in a public forum.
0 Replies