Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2017 07:30 pm
A few of my favorite female singer-songwriter-musicians are Tracy Chapman, Melissa Etheridge, Dixie Chicks, Joan Armatrading, Heart, Janis Ian, Carole King, Macy Gray, Rickie Lee Jones, Sade, Brenda Russell, Sheryl Crow, Toshi Reagon, Sarah MacLachlan, India.Arie, Sara Bareilles, Patrice Rushen, Mary Chapin Carpenter, and I could go on and on. If you have similar tastes in music it would be great to communicate -- share thoughts, ideas, spread latest info on artists, introduce us to new/unknown artists in same genre, etc... And if you are an artist yourself and want to share your work, that would be really cool.

Lately I've been listening to a lot of Tracy Chapman, especially her first two records. Her songs never get old and her singing is timeless. I wish she would put out a new record so badly....but maybe one of these days. I live in hope. Smile She's my hero. I've seen her live in concert 5 times over the years and her talent just blows my mind. She's phenomenal. I fell in love with her music from the first time I heard her on the radio singing "Fast Car". I love her to death. I think she's not really been given her due because she's not loud and flashy and wild. But her music speaks for itself. And she's an absolutely beautiful human being, imho.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,245 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Miller

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 03:02 am
One of my favorites is Alicia Keyes. She's a real New Yorker...Lots of class but also lots of smarts.

I also like her various hair styles, as well as her numerous piano arrangements.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 04:32 am
@madamyes1999,
Joni Mitchell surely.
madamyes1999

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 01:10 pm
@Miller,
I really respect her. I like her style. I've never seen her live but I'd like to. Have u ever seen her perform live?
madamyes1999

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 01:12 pm
@izzythepush,
Yeah, Joni is great. I have to confess tho that I like her older work 60s-early 70s a lot more than after that.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 01:30 pm
@madamyes1999,
Isn't that true of most musicians? Their early stuff is always the best.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 10:16 pm
@madamyes1999,
I picked up an album made by Marian Segal in the seventies. UK artist, no airplay in the US. I guess she did better over there than over here, she deserves it. I absolutely love these two songs, both of which she wrote. One is a duet. They called the group Jade but she wrote all the songs and sang lead.

Krumple

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 11:49 pm
@madamyes1999,
What no mention of Ani DiFranco?

Here ya go, yer welcome.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vVg7mtgEqGY
Miller

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2017 03:15 pm
@madamyes1999,
I've never seen Alicia Keyes perform live. I've only seen her perform live on TV.

She' a native New Yorker... and very, very talented. She's also a product of New York high schools.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2017 04:19 pm
@madamyes1999,
I'd forgotten about Joan Armatrading, thanks for mentioning her. Yes, I also like Tracy. And, Joni Mitchell.
0 Replies

madamyes1999

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2017 04:43 pm
@Blickers,
Thank u so much for sharing those two songs with me! I think Marian Segal has a great voice and her songs were very enjoyable. Too bad she didn't click in the U.S. She has a lot of talent. It was very thoughtful of you to give me this treat. I appreciate it more than I can say. God Bless. Smile
0 Replies

madamyes1999

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2017 05:15 pm
@Krumple,
Wow! I'm impressed. I'd heard the name Ani DiFranco before but never listened to any of her music. Thank you for this introduction. Great songwriting skills -- "32 flavors", I luv it. Even tho I only heard this one song of hers, i have a feeling i could fall in love with her songwriting. She has a laid back performance style yet she also has a lot of stage presence, and her voice, what a sweet, lilting voice. Cool Ani with her pink dreads, you go girl! I'm surprised I've never listened to her before today, but I'm gonna make up for lost time. I welcome any recommendations on where I should start on my Ani DiFranco journey. Thanks so much for turning me on to her. You really made my day! Smile
0 Replies

J-sassafras

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2017 11:25 am
Help? I'm going crazy trying to figure out who wrote and recorded a song called, Song #3. I thought it was Toshi Reagon. But I also thought it was from the 80s and I can't find recordings of her's from then. "Someday... we'll get it right, and it'll be alright, alright 'til then..."
0 Replies

poppy12345

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2017 06:08 am
@madamyes1999,
Tracy Chapman is the best ! As you said, her music is timeless & her voice is amazing!
I recently listened to a girl called Lalu Right. Her music is very mellow, but it's pretty cool to just sit back and listen to. She hasn't released much, but maybe you'll enjoy it Smile
0 Replies