Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 11:07 am
I haven't been posting for some time but I received a note today from a long time member. I thought I would check and I am surprised to see that there doesn't appear to be a thread devoted to Bill Morrissey.

Morrissey, just shy of 60, died this weekend while on tour of heart problems.

I admit that I was not a fan of his although I did admire his writing.

For those of you who were fans, this is a good place to remember the man, his music and his words.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,824 • Replies: 5
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 01:34 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
Morrissey, just shy of 60, died this weekend while on tour of heart problems

Do you have a lot of German students that you are teaching ESL??

Sounds like "Throw mama from the train a kiss"
plainoldme

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 01:54 pm
@farmerman,
Wow. Sorry about the mangled syntax. I was trying to put this up quickly.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 10:02 pm
Damn, I'm reall sorry to hear that.

I have to say I was wondering--when the loopy radio evangelist predicted the end of the world in May, I started a thread to see who on a2k had been Raptured, and everybody else reappeared, but that was the day pom apparently posted her last post. Iwas pretty sure you hadn't been carried up to heaven by a chairlift of angels, but still....

Sad to hear about Bill Morrissey. He was a friend, and a heavily underappreciated songwriter. He definitely burned the candle at both ends.
Here's one of his that I think is pretty near perfect.

Bill was like the birch logs in the song, burning hot, burning brightly, burning too short a time. If there's a dive bar in heaven, with angel backup singers and house Martins, Bill's there now, jamming with Mississippi John Hurt and Dave Carter, RIP Bill.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2011 03:43 pm
A friend of mine hitched a ride with me up to the Lowell Folk Festival yesterday, and we were talking about Bill's death on the way up. This was one of his favorites by Bill, Bill's rewrite of the traditional song.

Craig laments your passing too, Bill.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 09:24 pm
My newish neighbor Cliff Eberhardt reported on Facebook that he was pall bearer for Bill's funeral. Bob Weiser and 188 others gave the post a thumbs up and there were 90 comments. Garnet Rogers wrote a beautiful story on FB about how he and Stan first met Bill. Vance Gilbert also wrote about Bill on the same.
0 Replies