RUN for the hills!! There's NOTHING to fear!!

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 09:03 pm
Quote:
Australia specifically threatened: ABC
October 26, 2004 - 8:49AM

Australian forces had been specifically threatened by the Lebanon-based terror group Hizbollah, ABC radio reported.

But the government has refused to confirm that.

ABC said it understood the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO) had received specific information of a threat from Hizbollah to attack Australian forces in Iraq.

That threat was described as more than a public announcement or threat on a website.

Hizbollah, which is closely aligned with the Iranian regime, has been most active in southern Lebanon where it has regularly launched attacks on Israeli forces.

There have been media reports indicating the group has been moving fighters into Iraq to take on American troops forces.

Defence Minister Robert Hill said there was no intelligence indicating particular groups were specifically targeting Australian forces inside Iraq.

"Not really. Occasionally we hear of threats but there has been no ongoing threat to Australian personnel as opposed to personnel of other contributors," he told ABC radio.

© 2004 AAP
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,614 • Replies: 73
No top replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 09:05 pm
Quote:
Aussies not specifically targeted: govt
October 26, 2004 - 8:29AM

Defence Minister Robert Hill said he suspected Iraqi terrorists who detonated a car bomb near two Australian armoured vehicles in Baghdad would have settled for any passing coalition vehicle.

Senator Hill said he could not dismiss the suggestion that the Australian vehicles were specifically targeted.

But he said the roads in that area were constantly used by military vehicles of other coalition partners.

"I suspect the target was coalition vehicles. I am not sure they distinguish between the vehicles of various contributors," he told ABC radio.

Senator Hill said he had heard of no specific intelligence that Iraqi groups were targeting Australians in Iraq.

"There has been no ongoing threat to Australian personnel as opposed to personnel of other contributors," he said.

"There are many military vehicles on the road basically 24 hours a day in and out of Baghdad. There have been a considerable number of incidents of this type. In this instance the Australian vehicles have been attacked."

Senator Hill said the Australian armoured vehicles transported diplomats in Baghdad as well as other visiting officials.

He said the number of LAVs in Iraq had also been increased to give greater protection to Australian troops travelling to help train the new Iraqi military.

Senator Hill agreed Australian LAVs looked different to American LAVs.

"The risk is high all the time. I don't think there was anything specific in this instance," he said.

© 2004 AAP
Brought
0 Replies

australia

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 02:47 am
Why would muslim terrorists bother to bomb Australia? The muslim race is taking over australia anyway. They don't even have to resort to violence. Our politically correct politicians will just hand them the country!
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 02:54 am
Interesting....you are not the only Aussie I have heard that from.
0 Replies

australia

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 03:42 am
It is interesting that you say that. I thought I was the only politically incorrect Australian.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 04:17 am
australia wrote:
Why would muslim terrorists bother to bomb Australia? The muslim race is taking over australia anyway. They don't even have to resort to violence. Our politically correct politicians will just hand them the country!

Pray, what exactly is the Muslim "race"?
0 Replies

australia

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 04:03 pm
Pedantics! Race, religion or army, it doesn't matter. Still the same and coming to a store near you!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 04:07 pm
Well, at least we have definitively established that you have no idea what you are talking about.
0 Replies

australia

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 07:58 pm
I know more than you will ever know.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 08:30 pm
australia wrote:
I know more than you will ever know.

That may be true - but just how much of what you know is real?
0 Replies

australia

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 09:46 pm
Well, the eyes don't lie. I travel extensively each year and form opinions on what I see and people overseas I talk to.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 09:51 pm
"The eyes don't lie"??????

Hmmmm - what about the guiding and selecting intelligence behind the eyes?

That's as daffy as saying the camera doesn't lie.
0 Replies

australia

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 11:30 pm
Muslim extremists love people like you. You make it so easy for them. I wonder what you would do if there was a terror attack in Australia. Probably look for compensation for the suicide bombers family and sue the government for an unsafe work place.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 11:32 pm
Yeppers.

Oh - and for the right wing nuts here with no sense of humour - I mark the irony - Rolling Eyes There you go!
0 Replies

australia

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 11:47 pm
You incorrectly had right wing nuts in plural. So far, as I can see, I am the only right wing person here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 11:58 pm
Listening.. (I haven't personally run across an australian right wingnut before).
0 Replies

australia

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 12:16 am
what is your definition of right wing nut? someone who doesn't share your politcally correct view.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 12:27 am
I was following your self-appellation, so you tell me...
in any case, I am just checking in as a listener.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 12:45 am
ossobuco wrote:
Listening.. (I haven't personally run across an australian right wingnut before).

Oh - they exist all right - though they tend to be an odd mix of stuff - like being very racist, and seeing themselves as downtrodden by the rich, and wanting a "fair go for the battlers" - or the well off, educated right.

Like anywhere, I guess?

The very lovely Pauline Hanson, figurehead of the 'orrible One Nation Party, is a prime example.

Australia is either similar to the first of these - or trying to bait us.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 12:56 am
Oh, a fight. Hang on. getting popcorn and pop.
0 Replies