holly14

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2017 04:42 pm
Hello im a 14 year old transgender girl I know am way too young too be thinking about having a baby but I really would love too carry a baby when im older does anyone know any information and if it might be possible one day ive heard I could have a womb transplant with gender reassignment im just wondering wether anyone knows anything

thanks

Sturgis

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2017 05:26 pm
@holly14,
The procedure is still in its infancy. Read the article from the link below to learn more about uterine (womb) transplants. With medical breakthroughs each and every day, the likelihood of you and others having a successful transplant becomes greater.

www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-a-transgender-woman-could-get-pregnant/

Whatever decisions and pathways you follow in your future, may they be happy.
jespah

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2017 05:36 pm
@holly14,
Hold your horses on that. The first uterus transplant in the United States was done last year. It was a clinical trial only (hence it was probably not covered by medical insurance at all and, instead, was likely done as what's called an experimental procedure).

Even if you aren't in the US, that is still, by definition, a brand-new kind of procedure. And BTW, that procedure failed.

In October of 2016, Baylor University Medical Center in Texas tried. That was/is still in clinical trials and, of four women operated on, it looks like only one of them might get to uterine functionality although the hospital doesn't seem to be sure about that yet.

Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston is also approved for the procedure, as is Nebraska Hospital in Omaha. And that's it here in the US.

According to Wikipedia, there have been a few uterine transplants but the first successful pregnancy didn't happen until 2014, in Sweden. It is a little unclear whether that is the only successful such pregnancy so far, and the baby was born via cesarean section at 32 weeks (so that's 7 weeks premature) as the mother had developed pre-eclampsia, which is high blood pressure in the mother that can lead to seizures if left untreated. It is included as one of the most common causes of death by pregnancy.

Per Wikipedia, "In 2013 an update to "The Montreal Criteria for the Ethical Feasibility of Uterine Transplantation" was published in Fertility and Sterility and has been proposed as the international standard for the ethical execution of the procedure.

The criteria set conditions for the recipient, the donor, and the health care team, specifically:

1. The recipient is a genetic female with no medical contraindications to transplantation, has uterine absence that has failed other therapy, has "a personal or legal contraindication" to other options (surrogacy, adoption). It is asked that she wants a child, is suitable for motherhood, psychologically fit, likely to be compliant with treatment, and understand the risks of the procedure.
  2. The donor is a female of reproductive age with no contraindication to the procedure who has concluded her childbearing or consented donating her uterus after her death. It is asked that there is no coercion and the donor is responsible and sound to make informed decisions.
  3. The health care team belongs to an institution that meets Moore's third criterion regarding institutional stability and has provided informed consent to both parties. It is asked that there is no conflict of interests, and anonymity can be protected unless recipient or donor waive this right."

According to the Montreal Criteria, you would most likely not be eligible for such a transplant as you would probably not be genetically female (XX sex chromosomes).

At this point in time, true male pregnancy is impossible.

Understand, also, that risky and complicated medical procedures take a while to be developed properly, and for the chances of success to begin to rise. And if you are in the US, don't expect it to be covered by health insurance any time soon (and with the Affordable Care Act on its last legs, perhaps never).

Even if you are outside the United States, it is still a very risky procedure without a high chance of success. While things will certainly change in the next ten years or so by the time you'd presumably be interested in children, these procedures still might take that long or even longer to become a truly viable option for transwomen.

A lot less risky, and a lot more likely to happen, is adoption. I realize this is a lot of complicated stuff to read and digest, but adoption is a truly wonderful thing. I do hope, when the time is right, and even if these procedures become viable and inexpensive and safe during your lifetime, that you'll also seriously consider adopting a child.
holly14

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2017 05:54 pm
@jespah,
thanks I shall certainly look into adoption I would just really love a baby.
holly14

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2017 05:55 pm
@Sturgis,
thank you I can onlyhope it becomes available in the next 20 30 years
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2017 06:03 pm
@holly14,
Understood, but I also read Sturgis's link. The most successful of these surgeons, the doctor is Sweden (apparently there have been four successful to term pregnancies) says he would not do a uterine transplant in a transwoman. And the article also says full gender reassignment surgery would be necessary before even contemplating this, and that would include castration.

Currently, none of that is insured, and the 2017 price tag for it (prices in this area are pretty much only going to go up) is a hefty $24,000, which is about the cost of a small, new car.

And that's before you pay for the uterine transplant and all its attendant hormonal therapy, which would apparently still be necessary even after full gender reassignment surgery.

I understand your enthusiasm, and I'm sorry to be the voice of doom here, but you will really need to manage your expectations.
0 Replies

TooFriendly112

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2018 12:49 pm
I don't think a transgender woman can have a baby but it's been discussed in the press and also a few attempts by transgender men who's previously been women. I think there will be alternative ways in the future and more opportunities for people to have a baby or even services for meeting babies!!!
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2018 01:20 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
The procedure is still in its infancy.

I know this is a serious topic, this still made me chuckle. (Sorry)
0 Replies