Freezing timers revisited

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2017 01:49 pm
Quote:
Hello Dale,

Hello Steve,

Quote:
My name is Stephen and I am a lead with Orbits... I’d first like to apologize for the issues ...The timer in question...carries a 6 year warranty...covers any and all defects..

Your response is very much appreciated

Quote:
A few issues I’m seeing in this case. First,... during the freezing temperatures (32 degrees Fahrenheit)

Yes believe it or not I did know that’n’.

Quote:
the timers do need to be stored indoors to prevent any freeze damage....The model of timer that you have ... and we do monitor ...warranty claims on every Orbit product. On about 95% of returns [for the detached solenoid assy]... can be marked up to improper winterization.

You claim ...you haven’t had a major freeze for quite some time...not required... can be damaged in just one freezing night...and ...your weather will drop below freezing twice this week...can cause damage to the timer...may not be common [but]still does drop below freezing.

No question Steve, Still the threads don’t mate well. So far in 20 years the only malfunction I have encountered is parting of the solenoid assy from the rest of the valve, and while this might owe to a quick freeze (or to accidental connection without pressure controller), once I have disassembled the unit and wrapped the solenid-assy threads, reassembled and put back into service, none of them has failed in spite of repeated freezes.

Reason I switched from manual to electronic in the first place is stupid new drought rules that almost require an automatic device to avoid having to get up in the middle of the night. However in the meantime my suggestion of better threads or their wrapping would probably make a whole lot of people a whole lot happier for a very long time...

Quote:
The only way that we would be able to properly diagnose if this is a manufacturers defect

…,which it most certainly is..

Quote:
would be to get an untampered with product back for testing so that we can look at it. Again, Orbit stands behind its products...

Quote:
... I can send you one out as a courtesy to try,...Please let me know...

If you’re offering to send me a free unit I accept with many thanks.... However the first thing I would do is to disassemble it, wrap the threads, and reassemble. So I reiterate my suggestion that you need to modify your production unit accordingly; then if you do so, change its part no. so that we will know whether we’re buying a new one.

In the meantime for those of us living in areas like ours forced to use battery timers in the wintertime, various other measures can be taken such as wrapping the timer itself in some kind of heavy insulation. But your ‘engineers’ should entertain sorts of more nearly permanent approaches, such as eg redesigning the timer with a temp sensor that with approaching freeze would turn it off and empty it.

https://able2know.org/topic/365136-1
https://www.google.com/?client=safari&channel=mac_bm#channel=mac_bm&q=wrap+battery+water+timer+prevent+freezing

I am Dale Hileman
11085 Chipmunk Rd
Apple Valley, Ca 92308-8219

My regards to your ‘engineers'

Quote:
Thank you,
Stephen
Technical Support
Orbit Irrigation Products, Inc.

Thank you,
Dale Hileman
Rank amateur irrigation expert
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 400 • Replies: 1
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2017 02:41 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Mr. Hileman,
Mr. Dunton,

Quote:
I spoke with my manager on the issue. Like I stated previously, this timer has been in market for several years and this is the first we’re getting of this complaint,

I can only transmit profound apologies. You had written,
Quote:
'On about 95% of returns we get for the issue we’re seeing, it can be marked up to improper winterization,’
and so of course I assumed this included parting of the solenoid assy. But isn’t it remarkable that all of my 12 units had failed this way and this way only

Quote:
which leads me to believe that this is not a manufactures defect.

Alas alack

Quote:
I apologize that you’re having these issues,

Apologies accepted. However, not your fault but some ‘engineer’ or other who couldn’t match threads
Just kiddin’ of course Steve...

Quote:
but again, taking it apart does void the warranty.

Of course

Quote:
Since you will just be taking the new product apart, I will not be sending another timer.

Of course not

Quote:
I have passed this issue on to my ‘engineers’.

Give ‘em my regards. By the way, I could mail a roll of thread seal...

Quote:
Thank you,
Stephen

Technical Support
Orbit Irrigation Products, Inc.

Thank you (I guess)
Dale
Incompetent irrigator
0 Replies