Drip, drip

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2017 11:50 am
Presently writing a treatise on irrigation by drip system, I herewith welcome any and all comments of any kind. Thank you all
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 328 • Replies: 2
No top replies

hightor

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2017 01:15 pm
@dalehileman,
I installed and relied on one drip irrigation system so I'm not trying to pose as an expert. My experience, however, was very positive. The problems in drip irrigation systems seem to have more to do with the water system than the drip emitter delivery system. You need to compute the diameter and spacing of your tubing and drip points based on the size of the irrigated plot, and account for grade and distance. Whether you're using a well, a cistern, or a reservoir, you'll be dealing with electric pumps, manifolds, valves, filters, and gauges. This is where you'll end up performing the bulk of system maintenance. I have seen micro-drip installations with individual bags and tubes set up, much like the IV tree in a hospital. For very small plots, a gravity fed system would eliminate the need for a lot of plumbing.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2017 05:56 pm
@hightor,
Thank you kindly High for that fine response. True, water source is importnt and can be problematical, though in my treatise I'm assuming a home system where the pressure is pretty stable. Of course, you hafta be sure its reg is set to 50 psi or lower and that y' know about stuff like the water hammer

Quote:
...compute ... tubing and drip points based on the size of the irrigated plot, ...grade and distance
I've found that such calcs are unnecessary if your water comes from a 'faucet' but if y' get a chance, I'd like to hear further from y' on this issue

Quote:
individual bags and tubes
Okay Tor, but what sorts of 'bags,' and for what purpose

Thanks again
0 Replies