Freezing water timers revisited

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2017 05:34 pm
We have about a dozen battery timers about the property to water trees, shrubs, and the like, and with the coming of occasional winter-night freeze, wondering whether anyone here might have had some dealings or personal experience with the possibility of damage by freezing.

Left on overnight under pressure, at night occasionally cold enough here in the Mojave to damage its mechanism so we wrap with insulation, eg, 2-3 in. fiberglass supplied in the handy roll. Before wrapping, however, just how cold does it have to be, for how long, for sure damage

We don't care if ice formation interferes with operation of its valve or even blocks flow, but only if the mechanism will be damaged. Yes it's a tough one, with many variables, but I'd be happy to hear some rules-of-thumb

Incidental open letter to Orbit and other timer makers: Wrapping each one every fall or winter is such a nuisance I'm inviting our brightest a2k'ers to suggest alternatives to prevent such damage without wrap. Here's an easy one, a freebi:

As an erstwhile inventor myself, I'd have a temperature-sensing subunit inside which would open the valve a little bit at the critical water temp, a bit more with any further drop

If mounted at the external home-wall spigot the house water will prove warm enough. QB4 the house of course, especially in cold climes, typically how much water might it waste

But you guys are smarter'n me; so got any ideas
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 377 • Replies: 9
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 01:35 pm
@dalehileman,
If other High-Desert denizens might have wondered as I, herewith forwarding at L to E of Victorville Daily Press
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 03:03 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
...you guys are smarter...got any ideas?

Rip out the sprinkler system and let nature takes its course.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 03:05 pm
@Sturgis,
Or call a landscape architect for a consultation, as I told you before.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 03:14 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I tend to agree with Sturgis, with the exception that I don't know the property's needs, and don't want to know. Call a land arch from the phone book, or Cal Poly, and ask for someone to consult. You need someone local.

I know many good landscape contractors, but, your property sounds like it needs consideration as a whole and I recommend at least an hour or two's consult.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 03:35 pm
Hah, excuse me - I meant landscape architect.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 05:09 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
as I told you before
Yea Temp and thank you but a recent attempt to find that msg was in vain after a half-hour search so can you provide a link...

Quote:
recommend at least an hour or two's consult
If only we could afford such...

Thanks again
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 05:24 pm
@dalehileman,
No, I am not going to look up my old posts, which are many.

An hour or two consultation isn't that much, if they charge.

I've designed irrigation for a lot of developments, not that I am proud about that, and for something like 25 years of varied clients.
Call and find out what a consultation costs.

We used to go out for free, first time, often miles away, and it was a serious firm. Only if they wanted to hire us for complex design reasons would we work up a contract.

dalehileman

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 05:42 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Thanks again Osso, I'll turn it over to my BH, who as you must agree is much smarter then me

I do wonder however, you're having worked in the field, whether you've had to address such probs
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 05:47 pm
@dalehileman,
I'm not in practice anymore, but I'd won't advise from afar anyway.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Freezing water timers revisited
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 06:12:49