Kurosawa: The Most Versatile Director of All Time

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 12:45 pm
So now the Pulitzer Prize means nothing because of Janet Cooke and we're wishing Ebert were dead. I suppose many now would say the Nobel Prize means nothing because of Jimmy Carter. This is very illuminating discourse.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 09:08 pm
Don't put words in my mouth--I never said I wished Ebert was dead.

As far as the Nobel Peace prize, it was tainted by giving it to Kissinger for ending a war he helped to orchestrate. I admire Jimmy Carter, however.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 09:48 pm
Let's get this thread back to Kurosawa and away from Lightwizard's silly digressions. I saw KAGEMUSHA on tape last night and was again struck by what a strong film it is. Probably it would have been even better with Mifune playing the impersonator, but it is a very fine piece of work as it stands. The night battle and the concluding battle which wipes out the clan are among the best action sequences Kurosawa ever shot. I particularly admired the scene where the impersonator is thrown out of the castle--it has a Shakespearean quality, even more so than anything in RAN which is consciously modelled on KING LEAR.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 10:02 pm
I just saw Kurosawa's last film, MADADAYO. It is a small gem. Very touching. Apparently it was never released in the US but it is available on tape.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 03:32 pm
Saw IKIRU and SANJURO. IKIRU didn't live up to its billing as one of Kurosawa's greatest, but SANJURO was hugely enjoyable--a sort of sequal to YOJIMBO.
0 Replies

Bluxx

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 02:37 am
I guess I'm a ding bat, but did anybody mention that "Magnificent Seven" was inspired by Seven Samurai?

Maybe I should change my avatar to a picture of a ding bat---whatever that would look like....
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 12:19 pm
No, Bluxx, so far as I know nobody mentioned that. You are not a ding bat. Welcome!
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 12:19 pm
No, Bluxx, so far as I know nobody mentioned that. You are not a ding bat. Welcome!
0 Replies