NHL 2004-05: Did you miss it?

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 01:45 pm

with the potential for a long strike, do you find there's something missing in your life?

in 1974, at age 9 i became a hockey fan, and quickly learned the players and their stats.
the NY Rangers were my team, and i lived and died with those guys for 10 solid years.

by '84 i'd lost interest, and turned away from the sports for 10 more years, when i hopped back
on the Ranger bandwagon as they plowed through everyone else and one their first Cup in 54 years.

10 years later any feelings i had for the Rangers are dormant, possibly comatose.
i could care less if they ever settle the strike... how about you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 11,828 • Replies: 84

George

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 02:10 pm
This time of year is overcrowded with sports anyway, but this year in our neck of the woods there is a World Series with the Red Sox in it and a Patriots team on an unprecedented roll. That will pretty much occupy my sports consciousness.

I won't miss hockey for about another month, but yeah, I'll miss it. And I'll be cussing those intransigent fools!
ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 02:14 pm
It's killin' me. I love my Hockey Night in Canada. I wanna wear my jersey and holler.

Phooey on 'em all. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 02:22 pm
We've got some collegiate hockey in the area. BU is always worth a look.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 02:24 pm
but it's just not the same

<sniff>

i want my hockey night in canada music!
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 02:26 pm
Don't know it.
But hum a few bars and I'll fake it on the chorus.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 06:56 pm
Only hockey worth watching is playoff hockey. Who wants to see The Predators take on The Blue Jackets??? Give me Flyers-Canadians, or Red Wings-Avalanche.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 07:58 pm
No hockey for the year... hopefully it'll be back by January. Meanwhile go watch some WHL or something.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 04:37 pm
this from flyer's center Jeremy Roenick --
Quote:
"This is not a strike. This is a lockout. Gary Bettman and the NHL owners will not let us play this year." he said. "Because of that, Gary Bettman, you should be banging on Bob Goodenow's door, demanding to negotiate, right now. Get into a room, lock the door and don't come out until there's a deal done.

(article)

has a professional sports season ever been cancelled due to a lockout?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 04:57 pm
To tell you the truth, I had no idea there wasn't a hockey season currently taking place.

Hockey, basketball, baseball, golf, etc. aren't worth my time. I watch the NFL and that's about it.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 05:18 pm
I have a very important question to ask-

Who is the cutest guy in the NHL, or any league, Reg, or anyone, I'm thinkin' bout ........let's say........a Johnny Damon look-a-like.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 09:37 pm
(being a bahstid and ignoring paulaj's weird question...)
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 09:53 pm
It isn't a weird question............................................it's a ~silly~ question.

Now, are you going to spill your guts? Very Happy
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 11:27 pm
True hockey players are scarred and toothless, not pretty boys.

We were talking about it today at work and surprisingly most of the die hard fans weren't really all that choked up about it. Football season has just ended, T.O won the greycup and the local WHL team is stirring up the fever.

Incidently, I read the composer of the "Hockey Night in Canada" themesong is suing CBC for overplaying it.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 11:43 pm
HNIC theme composer launches lawsuit against CBC

I have been trying to find a site where you can listen to the song, no verra easy I'm afraid. I will keep looking.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 12:18 pm
Found a reall cheesy version of the song in midi format, this should give you an idea of what Canada's unofficial national anthem sounds like.

Again it's cheesy.... Hockey Night in Canada Theme song
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 02:39 pm
paulaj,

i've found a really cute guy for you...

http://www.wfu.edu/users/grayra1/Contextual%20Site/Clipart/toothless%20man.jpg
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 03:28 pm
Reg

He's perfect, I can tell he really "works the rink" by the number of teeth he has missing. If I only had the courage to call him, hmmm. I'm going to need some time.
Mean while, try and see if you can get his phone number while I build up my courage. Have your people call my people, that stuff.

Keep in touch.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 03:54 pm
I love hockey... fortunately I'm a Blackhawks fan so I'm not missing much.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 03:57 pm
paulaj wrote:
I have a very important question to ask-

Who is the cutest guy in the NHL, or any league, Reg, or anyone, I'm thinkin' bout ........let's say........a Johnny Damon look-a-like.

Try this paulaj

http://nomarsgirl4ever.tripod.com/jospage/id47.html
0 Replies