Understanding exe. on mac

dre0017

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 11:20 am
So when i go onto show package contents on games and check the resources section and then change the game exe to a text edit so that i can read it but i just see allot of weird symbols. Is it possible to understand it.
I have a OS X El Capitan
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,433 • Replies: 10
No top replies

topweblists01

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 12:53 pm
@dre0017,
There are lot of ways to understand exe. on mac. you may prefer Wine to create wrapper which is allow you to run exe. file on mac.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 01:11 pm
Exe files are made to run on Windows. Macs don't have Windows.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 02:24 pm
@dre0017,
You can't open a .exe file in a text editor. It doesn't matter what OS you are using. The .exe files are binary files, they don't contain ascii characters, so when you open them in a text editor they will look like gibberish.

Also, a standard windows .exe file won't run on a Mac anyway because it's been compiled for a Windows system.

You can load an emulator like WINE (someone mentioned this above), but that still won't help you open the file in a text editor, it will only allow the emulator to execute the code.
centrox

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 02:42 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
Also, a standard windows .exe file won't run on a Mac anyway because it's been compiles for a Windows system.

I got thumbed down for saying exactly that; I don't know why.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 05:40 pm
@centrox,
centrox wrote:
I got thumbed down for saying exactly that; I don't know why.

I don't know either. Except maybe it's because that's all you said, and it wasn't really what they were asking. I don't know, that's just a guess.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 06:30 pm
@dre0017,
I'm drooller with an antique mac and read your conversations.
Please do not be nasty. Part of how I live is how I can navigate.
0 Replies

simonelectricindia

Reply Tue 30 May, 2017 03:31 am
@dre0017,
You can't open a .exe file in a text editor. It doesn't matter what OS you are using. The .exe files are binary files, they don't contain ASCII characters, so when you open them in a text editor they will look like gibberish.

Also, a standard Windows .exe file won't run on a Mac anyway because it's been compiled for a Windows system.

You can load an emulator like WINE (someone mentioned this above), but that still won't help you open the file in a text editor, it will only allow the emulator to execute the code.
roger

Reply Tue 30 May, 2017 03:52 am
@simonelectricindia,
That's an exact copy of what Rosborn said. Can you describe in detail how you managed to copy and paste so well?
0 Replies

MKABRSTI

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2017 02:43 am
@dre0017,
The only way you can use exe files on mac is if you use some sort of file conversion so it will run on OSX.
0 Replies

microsoft01

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2017 05:26 pm
@dre0017,
.xlsx-workbook format for Excel 2016 for Mac
0 Replies