Wildlife Photographer of the Year award for 2004

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 09:52 pm
http://www.newscientist.com/data/images/ns/9999/99996563F1.JPG
The "balletic" lunging of the sharks was so intense that they bumped into the photographer many times (Image: Doug Perrine)

Drama of shark feast scoops photo prize 16:36 21 October 04
NewScientist.com news service
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 936 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 09:58 pm
I want a show of hands for all those who really couldn't be THAT keen on getting a photographic prize!

What's that Italian word you tend to associate with 'sardine'? Yeah, 'antipasto' - the snack you have BEFORE the big meal.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 10:01 pm
Quote:
Charging the shoal of sardines, both sharks have their jaws crammed with the fish - one pirouettes from the side of the baitball while the other lunges from below. The "spectacle of light and movement" was captured by US photographer Doug Perrine, off the east coast of South Africa.

The judges' were unanimous in selecting the image from among 18,500 entries, sent from over 50 countries. "What makes the drama - the great swirling mass of frantic fish and the power of the, almost balletic, charging sharks - also creates the beautiful dynamic lines of movement and contrast of light and shade, silver and blue," says Roz Kidman Cox, one of the judges.

Perrine snapped the picture during the annual sardine run - where vast shoals of sardines migrate up South Africa's east coast. A pod of dolphins herded the sardines to the water's surface into a baitball - soon attracting other predators such as tuna and sharks to the rich pickings.

"The sharks would charge through the baitball, bursting through the other side or shooting clear out of the water, their mouths stuffed full of fish," says Perrine. "So intent were they on feeding that they often bumped me as they rushed past. It was one of the most intense experiences of my life."

'intent on feeding', in shark terms that would mean, "If it stays still long enough, it's lunch".
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 10:17 pm
Links

2004 Exhibition

2003 Index
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 11:02 pm
Mr Stillwater wrote:
I want a show of hands for all those who really couldn't be THAT keen on getting a photographic prize!

Put your hand up in that situation and it would dissapear for sure - along with the rest of you. It's an amazing picture, though!

Thanks for posting it!
0 Replies